Forums

Topic: Team [404 - Team Name Not Found] Deliberation Station

Posts 261 to 280 of 500

themcnoisy

@Th3solution Hahaha - Apart from Ground Zeroes. That took me like an hour to finish.

@Jaz007 I will take on the Major League Baseball games, everyone else can concentrate on the good stuff... and Madden.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Jaz007

I’ve played Mirror’s Edge. It’s important. It’s a fresh take on first person with platforming being the focus. It’s very involved and did a lot for parkour, especially first-person. Sadly the sequel was regarded as decent and didn’t take off like it could have. The first one is a great game though and even had a trophy for beating the game using no guns. I hope to see more influence from in the future.

I’ve played a decent bit of Shadow of Mordor on PS4, and it’s main innovation is the nemesis system. I understand that was nerfed or removed on the PS3 version so I would call existing or not important because it lacks the main feature and is kind of just there, badly shadowed by the PS4 version.

Minecraft was a more limited version , but an important game non the less. I’d call important instead of very important due to technical restrictions though.

Jaz007

themcnoisy

Major League Baseball 2K11 Visual Concepts - Existing
Major League Baseball 2K12 Visual Concepts - Not Important
Major League Baseball 2K13 Visual Concepts - Pointless

Strangely this set of games seemed to just be a copy and paste job, getting progressively worse. 2k10 was the high point of the series (which we aren't grading) 11 was a paste job with a bit of added polish and online stat tracking of real world players, 12 was the paste job of 11 which wasn't as good, 13 was a crocked paste job of 12 and everything was worse. 2k13 was actually quoted as being an embarrassment and should rightfully be ranked in the pointless category. Ive looked at a few sources - funnily I started last night as the Baseball games were due to be rated and I'm currently playing the show 18 which is ace.

themcnoisy

And this is where it gets tough to call.

MLB 07 The Show - Not Important / Pointless - Too many glitches on the PS3 version, the first on this gen of consoles. Not much of an upgrade from the PS2 version. Everything from the technical performance, menus, on field action were well below par. I would go with Not Important as the series did go on to better things from this basis unlike the 2k series.

The Show 08 - 11 have all been given critical acclaim sequentially bringing new modes and now staple mechanics into the games, I haven't done any research on these so will look them up this Week.

Th3solution

I’m of limited time for the next couple days. But I’m going to just hit the ones I’ve played for now.
This week I’ve played a few, but a couple are cross gen games that I played on PS4 or PS2.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Kojima Productions -
I think there is no doubt these are very important. The PS3 collection exposed a whole new audience to the series. If only MGS1 was in it 😒
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Kojima Productions -
Very Important in the sense of story, scale and production. It is a polarizing entry in the series due to long cut scenes, but who can argue its impact to the gaming culture.
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Kojima Productions -
Mostly a prequel to TPP. Some will argue it’s better due to more focused story. I’d say Important at least though because without it, TPP doesn’t make much sense narrative-wise. Not sure how the PS3 version plays.
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Kojima Productions -
A spectacular game, really pushed the series from a technical standpoint. It wraps up some storylines actually pretty well, despite being “unfinished”. To me it was great. Impact to gaming was pretty significant. I’d say Very Important, but some will argue that point. Also don’t know how the PS3 version plays.
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor Monolith Productions -
Jaz already commented here on this one, but my two cents is that I agree. Major innovation is the nemesis system, because otherwise it’s a combination of other established gaming mechanics (Ubisoft towers, Arkham style combat, etc). I’d say Important though due to the impact and sales. But I’m not sure about the PS3 version being hamstrung, which may need to bump it down.

@KALofKrypton -
Did I see somewhere that you are a big fan of The Michael Jackson Experience? Something in my brain seems to remember that being on one of your top 5 lists or something. If not, I apologize, if so, please share! We need to rank that game. 😄

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution I am! Only played it on the Vita though which is pretty much a port of the iOS version which is all touch controls for the gameplay.

The Wii/PS3/360 version is a very different beast; Essentially a Wiimote/Move/Kinect dancing game. The Push Square/Movemodo review isn't particularly praising of it. It has a below average Metacritic score too.
It seems to have it's fans - but I'd say 'Existing' at best.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON Thanks! Very good to know. Sounds like I should check it out on Vita though. 😋

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ZeD

@Th3solution I may be wrong but I am sure the PS3 version of Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor' Nemesis was really bad and in some cases it did not work. As mentioned, the Nemesis system is what made this and with it "missing" in the Ps3 version, I would say maybe Existing as the real version of the game is the Ps4.
Just my two cents

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution You absolutely should!

Gameplay is tight, the song selection is solid (if a little limited, sadly) and the presentation is actually pretty decent. It's all about playing along to those songs though. The audio presentation is nicely done - great playing with earphones, but actually very good through the Vita speakers too.

Really fun game - very hard to put down, and you can get a copy for next to nothing.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Th3solution

@ZeD Good to know. Thanks for that. Existing is probably more appropriate for the game then. 👍🏼

@KALofKRYPTON I’m on a bit of a rhythm game kick right now on my Vita with the Persona Dance games, so it might be of interest. But it appears to not be available on the PS store digitally when I search the site. It’s strange that it would only have a physical version and no digital — usually smaller titles are the opposite.

KALofKRYPTON

@Th3solution It hasn't been on PSN for a long time.
Got to remember that it's a game based on licensed music, and with such a profitable chunk of licensed music - that's going to be time-limited.
Just grab a cart

EDIT: i just checked ebay! I guess it's true what they say about there being no bad publicity! It was regularly going for sub £5 in mint condition not that long ago... If you're interested, I'd try and get it sooner rather than later.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

Th3solution

@KALofKRYPTON All the Vita owners out there are snatching up every cartridge they can get their hands on and certainly the mcnoisy Push Square forum advertising is pushing the value up! 😛

Jaz007

I looked up Minecraft Story Mode with What reviews there were. As a whole, it has generally positive reviews. If you think you’d like you’ll probably enjoy. The lawyer half of the game is supposed to be better than the first, hence why inistial impressions weren’t strong. I’d say not important hits because the market was flooded with too many telltale (or whatever their name is) games and this strategy hurt them and just reduced their importance at the end of the day.

Jaz007

themcnoisy

So yeah here is the my roundup of baseball games.

MLB 08: The Show SCE San Diego Studio - Existing
MLB 09: The Show SCE San Diego Studio - Important
MLB 10: The Show SCE San Diego Studio - Very Important
MLB 11: The Show SCE San Diego Studio - Important

Fin

Th3solution

Had a minute to check a couple games I was not really familiar with.

Mini Ninjas -
A relatively well received linear 3rd person action-adventure playing as ... well, mini ninjas. Different playable characters with unique traits. Decent reception - about 75 meta.
Existing

Mind jack -
Very poorly received due to poor technical implementation, graphically poor. Reviews in the 5 range. Actually had some interesting futuristic ideas but just incredibly poorly realized and didn’t influence gaming at all.
Pointless

Midnight Club LA -
A fairly popular arcade racing series, this was the last entry of the series (except for a PSP adaptation). Meta of 82, well received. Had licensed vehicles and courses were based on real Los Angeles streets. Seems a pretty strong game technically and artistically. For some reason though this game ended the series. Maybe because Rockstar couldn’t justify spending studio development time on anything other than the GTA cash cow.
Important

Midway Arcade Origins -
A collection of classic arcade games like Marble Madness, Spy Hunter, Rampage, and Gauntlet for example. Lukewarm critical reception, Meta 59. Apparently many of the games suffered from technical problems and poor controls. Reminds me a little of the PlayStation Classic. The original arcade games were definitely important, but this version is probably ...
Not Important

Metro Last Light -
A game series I always wanted to get around to; it was a sequel to Metro 2033 and had the recent sequel Exodus on PS4, is apparently a single player FPS praised for its solid story, wonderful atmosphere and visuals. Gameplay is not anything earth shattering, but isn’t especially bad per se.
Important

themcnoisy

@Th3solution cheers Sol. Will compile my final list tonight.

Good work troops we will have this result in by Saturday at this rate!

mookysam

I've recently got into the Metal Gear Solid series, playing the first four in quite quick succession. Playing MGS4 for the first time ten years after its initial release was interesting, because I could see how a lot of it, on the surface, was very much a product of its time. The oft-mocked brown and grey of the era is out in force, for instance. However, the game is truly exceptional. The story. The themes. It wrapped up everything from 1-3 so beautifully, referencing everything and everyone of importance. It was criticised for its long cut scenes, but for me they're the best part of the game - some of them are truly thrilling. The game felt like such a fitting end to the whole saga. Just superb. And the end of chapter 4 where you fight in a Metal Gear Rex... How is that not the most awesome thing ever?! Plus the final boss fight with the music changing from theme to theme. Niiiice.

MGS3 is particularly superb too. I loved the James Bondishness of it. Plus the whole finale both battling the Shagohod and the wonderful cutscene with The Boss.. I've also had the Snake Eater theme in my head ever since.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

themcnoisy

Madden NFL 15 EA Tiburon - Existing

Madden NFL 16 EA Tiburon - Not Important

Madden NFL 17 EA Tiburon - Not Important

Madden NFL 25 EA Tiburon - Important

Major League Baseball 2K11 Visual Concepts - Existing

Major League Baseball 2K12 Visual Concepts - Not Important

Major League Baseball 2K13 Visual Concepts - Pointless

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Platinum Games - Important

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Kojima Productions - Important

🎮 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Kojima Productions - Very Important

🎮 Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Kojima Productions - Existing

🎮 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Kojima Productions - Very Important

Metro: Last Light 4A Games - Very Important

Michael Jackson: The Experience Ubisoft Montreal - Existing

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor Monolith Productions - Not Important

Midnight Club: Los Angeles Rockstar San Diego - Important

🎮 Midway Arcade Origins Backbone Entertainment - Existing

Mindjack feel plus - Pointless

🎮 Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition 4j Studios - Very Important

🎮 Minecraft: Story Mode Telltale Games - Existing

Mini Ninjas IO Interactive - Existing

🎮 Mirror's Edge EA Digital Illusions CE - Important

MLB 07: The Show SCE San Diego Studio - Not Important

MLB 08: The Show SCE San Diego Studio - Existing

MLB 09: The Show SCE San Diego Studio - Important

MLB 10: The Show SCE San Diego Studio - Very Important

MLB 11: The Show SCE San Diego Studio - Important

Edited on by themcnoisy

Gremio108

@mookysam Yeah, I played MGS4 for the first time in 2015, I think. I had a similar experience with it. The cut-scenes felt like they dragged at points in the earlier games, but in MGS4 I barely noticed it.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

themcnoisy

@mookysam Im a big fan of every mainline MGS game. I don't think there is a bad one.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.