Forums

Topic: All 1442 PlayStation 3 games need rating in order - I need you!

Posts 261 to 280 of 1,292

Rudy_Manchego

Can I be Wing Commander Rudy Manchego? No real position, I have just always wanted to be a Wing Commander and there is no way I am competent enough to fly a plane.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Jaz007

@Frigate @RogerRoger @Th3solution @themcnoisy @theironchimp So here’s what I’m thinking team. We can have two voting stages. One we aim to have die by mid-week where we outline our arguments and start discussing the games as we feel we need to, and then after mid-week we vote again having heard what we all think and that will decide which bracket each game goes into.
I’m also thinking that maybe we could give someone who’s actually played the game a double vote for that game. Or if not that, a tiebreaker effect.
What do you all think? Any suggestions or better voting systems any of you have?

Jaz007

themcnoisy

@Jaz007 sounds like a great idea to me.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Th3solution

@Jaz007 I think that sounds fine. Makes sense to me. The preferential vote for anyone who actually played the game is fair. And I might add - played the game to completion. For example, I played like 3 hours of Dishonored and my assessment of the game is that it’s largely overrated and fairly average, which I know is not a popular opinion. But I do realize I was really not getting into the meat of the game and shouldn’t have the same say as someone who played more of it.
Often the ending is what really makes a game special too — like Red Dead Redemption for example. The ending was what made it go from a great game to a masterpiece, in my mind.
Whether it’s a double vote or a tie breaker, either way I like the idea of a weighted vote for those who played it.

On a separate subject, I will say now (and I think this goes without saying) that I hope we all keep our emotional objectivity as it relates to future debate. Discussions and debate might get heated, and I hope we can all keep an open mind and also realize a criticism of a game is a commentary on the game, not on the person who is championing it. I respect you all’s opinions as seasoned gamers, even if I may not agree. So when you all rip on my favorite games, I fully intend to take no offense. It’s all in good fun and there is no right or wrong on these kind of things.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Jaz007 Just chipping in with another "your voting system sounds great" to make it a full house, Captain Sir. Really looking forward to the team debates!

And welcome @TheIronChimp to Team [404 - Team Name Not Found]!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Jaz007

@Frigate @RogerRoger @Th3solution @themcnoisy @theironchimp So it looks like that system is a go. We’ll go with people who have played the game get a double vote as that’s simpler. And @Th3Solution I’m thinking we’ll leave it up to the person to decide whether they get the double vote. I think you need to have played enough too, but if you’ve played a game for 30 hours and it’s 40 I think it’s enough to have a good opinion for the magnitude of the list we’re working plus. Plus if a game’s garbage we may not have finished for that very reason.

Jaz007

Th3solution

@Jaz007 That’s a fair point. Playing enough of the game to really feel that you completed as much as you wanted to is probably all that’s needed. People can do an honest self evaluation and make the call as to whether they actually ‘played the game.’
For example, I would not consider myself worthy of a double-vote for Dishonored.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Jaz007 Awesome; all sounding fair and reasonable, Captain!

I should also briefly mention that, whilst I'm gonna do my very best with each deadline, there might be the occasional one or two days where I'm unable to access PushSquare for reasons various. I apologise profusely in advance if I miss a vote; should that happen, I guarantee that I'll fully support any team decision made in my absence, even if I would've argued differently. I will not randomly re-appear and use my veto to undo an entire debate that I wasn't a part of.

If I'm ever needed for a deadlock which you, as Captain, aren't comfortable breaking, and I haven't been posting for a couple days, tag me and mark it urgent. I've activated email notifications for forum tags and, as such, it'll ping my phone wherever I am.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@RogerRoger @Th3solution @Jaz007 @Frigate @TheIronChimp Amazing! First batch of games are on Tuesday night. There will be 33 for each team! So the double vote is a great idea.

themcnoisy

Week 1 List of Games

Knack Attack Six Pack
@AdamNovice @KALofKRYPTON @Kidfried @Gremio108 @Fight_Sora_Fight @Octane

007 Legends Eurocom
007: Quantum of Solace Treyarch
2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa EA Canada
2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil EA Canada
3D Dot Game Heroes Silicon Studio
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand Swordfish Studios
Absolute Supercars Eutechnyx
AC/DC Live: Rock Band Track Pack Harmonix Music Systems
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Namco
Adidas miCoach Lightning Fish
Adam's Venture Chronicles Vertigo Games
The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn Ubisoft Montpellier
Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know! WayForward Technologies
Adventure Time: Finn & Jake Investigations Vicious Cycle Software
Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom WayForward Technologies
Aegis of Earth: Protonovus Assault Acquire
AFL Live Big Ant Studios
AFL Live 2 Wicked Witch Software
Afrika Rhino Studios
Afro Samurai Namco Bandai
After Hours Athletes XDev
Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers Games Farm
Air Conflicts: Secret Wars Games Farm
Air Conflicts: Vietnam Games Farm
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed Acquire / XSEED / NIS America
Alarm für Cobra 11: Das Syndikat Synetic
Alarm für Cobra 11: Undercover Synetic
Alice: Madness Returns Spicy Horse
Aliens: Colonial Marines Gearbox Software
Alien: Isolation Creative Assembly
Aliens vs. Predator Rebellion Developments
All-Pro Football 2K8 Visual Concepts
Alone in the Dark: Inferno Eden Studios
Alpha Protocol Obsidian Entertainment
The Amazing Spider-Man Beenox
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Beenox

themcnoisy

Week 1 list of games

Team Micro Transactions
@BAMozzy @ZeD @Ralizah @leucocyte @LieutenantFatman @Rudy_Manchego

Anarchy Reigns PlatinumGames
Angry Birds Star Wars Rovio Entertainment
Angry Birds Trilogy Rovio Entertainment
Apache: Air Assault Gaijin Entertainment
Ape Escape SCE Japan Studio
Aquapazza: Aquaplus Dream Match Examu
Ar Nosurge Gust Co. Ltd.
Arcana Heart 3 Examu
Arcana Heart 3: Love Max!!!!! Examu
Arcania: The Complete Tale Black Forest Games
Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel Gust Corporation
Armored Core 4 From Software
Armored Core: For Answer From Software
Armored Core V From Software
Armored Core: Verdict Day From Software
Army of Two EA Montreal
Army of Two: The 40th Day EA Montreal
Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel Visceral Montreal
Arthur and the Revenge of Maltazard Ubisoft
Ashes Cricket 2009 Transmission Games
Assassin's Creed Ubisoft Montreal
Assassin's Creed III Ubisoft Montreal
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Ubisoft Montreal
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Ubisoft Montreal
Assassin's Creed: Revelations Ubisoft Montreal
Assassin's Creed Rogue Ubisoft Sofia
Asura's Wrath CyberConnect2
Atelier Arland Trilogy Gust, NIS America
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk Gust Corporation
Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky Gust Corporation
Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland Gust Corporation
Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland Gust Corporation
Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland Gust
Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea Gust Corporation
Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland Gust Corporation
Avatar: The Game Ubisoft Montreal
The Awakened Fate Ultimatum Nippon Ichi Software
Back to the Future: The Game Telltale Games
Backbreaker NaturalMotion
Baja: Edge of Control 2XL Games

Edited on by themcnoisy

themcnoisy

Week 1 list of games

303 Team Name not found
@Jaz007 @themcnoisy @Th3solution @RogerRoger @Frigate @TheIronChimp

Bakugan Battle Brawlers Now Production
Bakugan: Defenders of the Core Now Production
BandFuse: Rock Legends Realta Entertainment Group
Band Hero Neversoft
Barbie & Her Sisters: Puppy Rescue Torus Games
Batman: Arkham City Rocksteady Studios
Batman: Arkham Origins WB Games Montréal
Batman: The Telltale Series Telltale Games
Battle Fantasia Arc System Works
Battle vs. Chess Targem Games / Zuxxez Entertainment
Battlefield 3 EA Digital Illusions CE
Battlefield 4 EA Digital Illusions CE
Battlefield Hardline EA Digital Illusions CE
Battlefield: Bad Company EA Digital Illusions CE
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 EA Digital Illusions CE
Battleship Double Helix Games
Bayonetta PlatinumGames
Beat Sketcher SCE Japan Studio
The Beatles: Rock Band Harmonix Music Systems
Beijing 2008 Eurocom
Bejeweled 3 PopCap Games
Ben 10: Galactic Racing D3 Publisher
Ben 10: Omniverse D3 Publisher
Ben 10: Omniverse 2 D3 Publisher
Ben 10 Ultimate Alien: Cosmic Destruction D3 Publisher
Beowulf: The Game Ubisoft Shanghai
Beyond: Two Souls Quantic Dream
Bionic Commando GRIN
Binary Domain Sega Japan

Edited on by themcnoisy

themcnoisy

I had a bit of time so here is the first block of games.

1) Take your time no one is under any pressure. If this is too many games please let me know and after this section I can reduce them down.

2) Don't forget you have 3 team vetos and 2 thread wide vetos which can be used if you see a game unfairly marked down after the team captains have posted the final results. This is will maybe irk some people, please don't let it - we all have the same powers!

3) All teams try to have your results in by Sunday, if you can do it before that is absolutely fine as I need to update the database. Again no one is under any pressure to participate as long as we have results off the team captains or other designated vice captains in that team.

4) The whole purpose of this section is to put every retail PS3 games into one of five files. Very Important, Important, Existing, Not Important and Pointless. From there we can then place them in an order far more easily. There isn't any half way houses in between any of these fields so choose wisely!

5) Please weight your choices according to these metrics and in this order; Importance to gaming as of today, Technical achievement, Artistic Merit and Personal opinion. An example I would use here is a game I love called Videoball on PS4. Its not very important today, it had no real technical achievements, its artistic merit was average however a bit different to usual sports games and I rated it highly. That would slide into the Not Important bracket unfortunately, existing at an absolute push if my team felt the same way. I hope that clears it up (go buy Videoball).

6) Good luck, have fun and if we argue that's all good. Please no personal insults we are all big gamers who play a lot of games. We all have different tastes and hopefully this can encourage us to look back at some of the classics in a new light.

LieutenantFatman

Ok team Microtransactions, of the games listed, I've completed the following:

Back to the Future: The Game Telltale Games - Pretty standard gameplay from Telltale (ie. very simple), story was surprisingly fun. Not a huge fan of Telltale but this was definitely worth a play for BTTF fans. So not important to gaming today at all but perhaps important to BTTF fans. Artistic merit, yes but only in regards to the story being decent.

Armored Core 4 From Software
Armored Core V From Software
Armored Core: Verdict Day From Software
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood Ubisoft Montreal - quite good fun but forgettable story, recruiting apprentice assassins was a fun idea
Assassin's Creed: Revelations Ubisoft Montreal - quite good fun if a bit samey but.. a bit of a silly story, which is fine but yeah, it didn't do much for me

Played but not completed:
Avatar: The Game Ubisoft Montreal - Played a demo at EGX, wasn't impressed. I'd suggest this could go in the pointless category.
Assassin's Creed - Got near the end, but just way too repetitive so had to give up. The sequel as I'm sure you'll all agree was a big improvement.
Assassin's Creed III Ubisoft Montreal - Gave up after 2 or 3 hours, I found it very tedious.

Armored Core:

I adore the game play for the Armored Core games, the skill required, and the amount of customisation you can do, creating your own unique mech to fight with, it's such a fun challenge. But as much as I love these games I'll admit they have plenty of flaws, the narrative is pretty awful consistently from game to game, and doesn't make much sense. The online servers are pretty broken most of the time too, especially in ACV, this was improved a fair amount in the latest game Verdict Day but still could do with a fair amount of work.

But when you could actually get the online working and team up with friends against opposing teams or super bosses it was tremendous fun. The games require a certain amount of patience I would suggest, especially if you want to play online.
But yes, I like them a lot. When people talk about the AC games, my mind often jumps to Armored Core rather than the far better selling Assassin's Creed series. Are these games important to gaming today? Not so much in the West but in Japan these games are a lot more popular. And in terms of technical achievement, the level of customisation was very impressive and far above any fighting game I can think of both in terms of cosmetics and style of mech you used and it's fighting style.

Edited on by LieutenantFatman

LieutenantFatman

themcnoisy

@LieutenantFatman I missed out on Armoured Core but would love to play them after your write up!

Th3solution

@Jaz007 @themcnoisy @RogerRoger @Frigate @TheIronChimp

Hey, there are some real gems in there ... and some real rubbish.
I’ll start with some quick first impressions. We have until Wednesday-ish to put forth out preliminary cases for and against before official voting at the latter half of the week.

So Batman Arkham Asylum advanced already to the very important round based on the prologue round, but I actually liked Arkham City more. Of course ‘personal opinion is the lowest weighted metric that we are to judge these games on, but I think both technically and artistically it achieved as much or more than its predecessor. It did not influence gaming today much, given it was not the first to use gameplay mechanics and free roam, but based on the other criteria, I would still rank it highly. I never played Arkham Origins, but I know @RogerRoger will have more to say for it.
As for the Telltale series, definitely a decent game for what it is — and I haven’t played the second one yet, but I think the series hardly innovated or had special technical or artistic merit. Probably deserves middling consideration (“existing”) despite my enjoyment of it.

Bayonetta also sticks out as a high a high achievement game. The artistitry is top shelf and I think the combat has been influential, if not unique. I could be wrong on this but she’s probably one of the few major female protagonists after Lara Croft and Samus until we get until the current gen.

Those are the ones I’ve played. There are a slew of Battlefield games there, which are probably somewhat important, but I can hardly tell which of those are cookie-cutter and which actually pushed the FPS genre forward.

So many of these I’ve never heard of. Bejeweled probably deserves some high credit since it’s so popular, but it’s probably more because of mobile than PS3. Binary Domain and Bionic Commando sound familiar. Probably have a following. Beowulf was garbage if I recall.
Beyond Two Souls deserves some consideration for at least important because of the pushing the boundaries of story telling in a video game. It’s not Quantic Dreams best work, that would be Detroit. But without BTS do we have Detroit? Or games like Until Dawn and Life is Strange?

And the Barbie Puppy Rescue game.... I’m pretty sure that’s absolute detritus. Not that I’d ... [ahem] er, uh.. know anything about it. 😉

themcnoisy

Jaz007 @themcnoisy @RogerRoger @Frigate @TheIronChimp

My first take

Bakugan Battle Brawlers Now Production -?
Bakugan: Defenders of the Core Now Production -?
BandFuse: Rock Legends Realta Entertainment Group -?

Band Hero Neversoft - Existing

Barbie & Her Sisters: Puppy Rescue Torus Games - Not Important

Batman: Arkham City Rocksteady Studios - Important

Batman: Arkham Origins WB Games Montréal - Existing

Batman: The Telltale Series Telltale Games - Not Important

Battle Fantasia Arc System Works -?

Battle vs. Chess Targem Games / Zuxxez Entertainment - Existing

Battlefield 3 EA Digital Illusions CE - Important

Battlefield 4 EA Digital Illusions CE - Very Important

Battlefield Hardline EA Digital Illusions CE - Not Important

Battlefield: Bad Company EA Digital Illusions CE - Existing

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 EA Digital Illusions CE - Very Important

Battleship Double Helix Games - Pointless

Bayonetta PlatinumGames - Very Importan
t

Beat Sketcher SCE Japan Studio -?

The Beatles: Rock Band Harmonix Music Systems - Not Important

Beijing 2008 Eurocom - Important

Bejeweled 3 PopCap Games - Important

Ben 10: Galactic Racing D3 Publisher?
Ben 10: Omniverse D3 Publisher?
Ben 10: Omniverse 2 D3 Publisher?
Ben 10 Ultimate Alien: Cosmic Destruction D3 Publisher?
Beowulf: The Game Ubisoft Shanghai?

Beyond: Two Souls Quantic Dream - Very Important

Bionic Commando GRIN?
Binary Domain Sega Japan?

If we are struggling with Bakugan and the Ben 10 games I have played some of them but can't remember which and will do the homework for us. My Sons were big Ben 10 fans so It will be a trip down memory lane of mediocrity. Beijing 2008 was the last Olympics game before Nintendo took the licence and Battleship is absolutely awful.

LieutenantFatman

@themcnoisy
Thanks! I could easily write ten times that on Armored Core, fell in love with the series since the AC1 demo on the PSone.

LieutenantFatman

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.