Earlier today, we were treated to our very first look at gameplay from Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Respawn Entertainment's upcoming action title. While it's pretty clear where the game draws its inspiration from, the developer has pointed out two main series that have influenced the design of its lightsaber-fuelled adventure.
Game Informer got the chance to go hands on with the game, and has come away feeling pretty positive. In the above video, they relay a fair amount of new information regarding how the game works. It's worth watching if you're at all interested, but these are the major points to take away:
- The structure of the game is heavily inspired by Metroid Prime, with elements you can't interact with until you have the appropriate power or ability. This means you'll be revisiting previous locations to uncover more of each environment.
- There are no waypoints guiding the way. As with Dark Souls, the developer wants you to freely explore and find your own way through the game.
- Sticking with Dark Souls, recuperating at specific points will respawn enemies and revive your supply of health canisters, which work like the Estus Flask.
- You'll be able to customise protagonist Cal Kestis cosmetically, as well as his lightsaber and the Stinger Mantis -- the ship you'll use to fly from planet to planet.
- Combat will combine lightsaber strikes with Force powers to give you plenty of options, and as we've seen, it's influenced by the likes of Dark Souls and God of War. Locking onto foes, facing off against multiple enemies, blocking and parrying, combining abilities -- fighting is deliberate and intense.
- You'll be unlocking new moves and powers on a big skill tree.
- There are bosses and mini bosses to take on in Fallen Order. The developer wants to provide a challenge, but expect it to be much more forgiving than Dark Souls.
Again, give the video a watch, as there's plenty more information to soak in. What do you think of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order so far? Let us know in the comments below.