These New Screenshots Prove That Tearaway Unfolded Is the PS4's Cutest Game

Posted by Kell Andersen

Nyaw

Tearaway Unfolded was one of the more magical surprises from this year's Gamescom conference, and in order to keep the magic flowing, Sony has released a slew of screenshots which show off the adorable game's beautiful style. It takes a lot to melt the heart of this otherwise cynical and jaded writer, but seeing the puzzle platformer's papercraft protagonist re-imagined for the PlayStation 4 has just about bought a tear to his typically crusty eyes.

However, it's important to note that this new version isn't just a simple port. Indeed, Media Molecule has created a vast array of new content which makes use of the DualShock 4 in purportedly surprising ways. You'll be able to test the validity of this claim when the title releases sometime next year. In the meantime, let us know what you think of Tearaway Unfolded in the comments section below.

[via dualshockers.com]

Dodoo

Dodoo said:

An easy day 1 for me. Totally loved the Vita version and I never expected to see anything more from this series but so glad we are.

Also from what I've seen so far I've seen more new areas than rehashed ones which is a good sign! If 50% is new then I'll be well happy :)

This is going to look so ridiculously good. The image quality on the Vita was quite frankly incredible.

Carl-G

Carl-G said:

Sooooooooooooo HAPPY this is coming to the PS4 :P Would LOVE the other PSVita Exclusives to come to the PS4 to really like Uncharted & KillZone :P

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Sorry to nitpick, but it is "screenshots" in the title.

Sony, you are giving me another reason to be happy that I never bought a Vita :p

alphadrago5

alphadrago5 said:

I'm glad that this is being ported to the PS4. Even though it's one less exclusive for the vita, it definitely deserves more attention.

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

I was sad I missed Tearaway since I never bought a Vita...luckily this is happening :)

DHW

DHW said:

I still think Tearaway and Tearaway Unfolded stand as their own separate games with their own gimmicks and their own version of the story to tell. Vita didn't lose an exclusive, Tearaway just got a new one.

As for which one is better, I have to play this first, but I really liked the interactiveness of the original. I think Unfolded will basically become this generation's Jak and Daxter. Just made of cute paper.

@Demi_God Yeah, sort of. It's hard to describe really - it has elements of Super Mario 64, Jak & Daxter, and LittleBigPlanet, but I wouldn't necessarily compare it directly to any of them. If you like any of those games, though, you'll like this.

Cyrso

Cyrso said:

@SimonAdebisi It's a different game, so it it won't be cross-buy.

You can see from the trailer and from these screenshots that a lot of the environments and gameplay is new in Tearaway Unfolded - if you played Tearaway. :)

It's not a full blown sequel, but it's more like the PS4's take on Tearaway's concept. A bit like what Super Mario 3D World on Wii U is to Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS. They are both different games, but similar in design and adapted to each platform's strengths and features.

I agree with @DHW

Cyrso

Cyrso said:

And yes this game is probably going to look pixel-perfect on PS4, since Tearaway on Vita already has incredible image quality with virtually no visible jaggies. :D

Heavyman99

Heavyman99 said:

@SimonAdebisi That could work. Putting free Vita games in with big PS4 titles could work to incentivize purchase of the Vita. It's like Persona 4 Arena Ultimax's week one free DLC, where if you get the DLC free, you'll think "Hai, I got free DLC for that game, and I can play it if I get that game!"

ferrers405

ferrers405 said:

I should say i think Tearaway is at its peak a heartwarming game, so beautiful, charming and at the same time creative, i think it's just fair it's coming to PS4, a game like this should be in every platform.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Cyrso You sure about that? I thought Media Molecule just made a recent statement clarifying that it is, by and large, the exact same game with a few changes to accommodate the controller and a couple small additions...

Here's a list of what's new in PS4

3D World was a completely different game than 3D Land, a sequel even. This is an enhanced port. Not saying it won't be good, but it's important to know what it is.

BlueProxy

BlueProxy said:

After seeing the screen shots, I'd have to agree with the title of this article. The game play mechanics look really interesting from what I've seen. Hopefully there will be a demo, but I do trust Media Molecule to make something worth the money.

WARDIE

WARDIE said:

I really enjoyed this on my Vita but it was a pretty short game which made sense for a portable device. Im not sure how well this will translate to the PS4 and I also need to know how much this will cost. If its going to be a full priced retail PS4 game I think I'll stick with the Vita version.

Tearaway was one of the best games I played on the Vita.

OrbitScant

OrbitScant said:

I'm impressed with the quality of the AA in this game. Looks almost pre-rendered. Nice job.

Superconsole

Superconsole said:

Looks so sweet! Absolutely loved the original, this is must-have for me :)

@viciousarcanum I'm sure we'll be able to play as Iota too, would be rather odd to force everyone to play as Atoi.