That Rainbow PS4 Raised a Truckload of Money for Charity

Posted by Kell Andersen

Heartwarming hardware

You may remember a story that we ran a few days ago about a decidedly colourful PlayStation 4 with an important message. Dubbed the 'GayStation 4', this colourful custom SKU was constructed to coincide with the Stockholm Pride festival, and was planned to be auctioned off in order to raise money for Swedish charity RFSL.

Well, we're happy to report that the console was successfully sold for 28,300 Swedish Kroner, which converts to approximately £2,500, or $4,100. This means that the system gets the sizeable honour of being not only the most visually appealing PS4 currently in existence, but also the most expensive.

Let's all cross our fingers in the hopes that Sony notices the success of this delightful device, and decides to step up its game in the hardware department. Would you buy a rainbow PS4, or are you holding out for the White Destiny console? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via vg247.com]

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

I'd rather have rainbow. Block colours or the tiresome camo effects bore me. The crud they're putting out in Japan is hilarious.

Crimson_Ridley

Crimson_Ridley said:

When you click the RSFL link, you go directly to a page with the words "F**k off" repeated on the magazine/book covers! :D

rjejr

rjejr said:

Gaystation, for the gaymer, really? I can't imagine that auction in the US w/o some outrage. Sweden must be sensible.

k_andersenStaff

k_andersen said:

@get2sammyb @Crimson_Ridley My sincere apologies!!! I had about ten other tabs open when I wrote this article, and I obviously took the link from the wrong one. Please ignore my, er, colourful browsing habits!

k_andersenStaff

k_andersen said:

@rjejr Oh no, it's entirely my fault! On the plus side, I'll be quadruple checking all the links I put in the articles I write from now on :P

rjejr

rjejr said:

@k_andersen - I wasn't talking about your link, Sammy posted your name as smell_anderson for about 1 minute before changing it to k. He probably figures nobody noticed.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@get2sammyb - So he's posting erroneous links and your posting his Twitter handle instead of his PS handle to correct his mistake?

Guess the heat is getting to both of you :-)

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

I just got a transparent red ds3. It'd be cool to have a whole console like that, maybe smokey black but still transparent most places

Zergling

Zergling said:

So did Sony have anything to do with this console design or was it a third party?

GameAce

GameAce said:

My plan will be to purchase a replacement system when/if this one craps out. I'm boring. I'll spend my money on games and run.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

Ok guys I had to delete a few comments and if yours were one of them it should be clear as to why. Stick to the article please and leave the political thoughts out

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

@ThreadShadow: Sure you can as long as it doesn't turn into arguments. The problem is when a person states their opinion and then another person disagrees we then end up with the thread getting derailed. No where does the articles state whether certain things are acceptable or not so neither should the comments. If you would like to further discuss this please use the contact form below.

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

@Tasuki I accept your decision, of course, but I must say I'm disappointed in it. Even if I don't agree with the opinion @ThreadShadow stated in his post, I agree with him in that this article in general goes into the political decision, so I would think a political discussion about the topic in the comment section of said article would only be proper. Plus, I feel that Pushsquare as a community would benefit from and can endure such a discussion.

But hey, seems I was wrong.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

@Reverend_Skeeve: I understand where you are coming from and no you are not wrong. The problem is is that on this kind of subject people tend to have very strong opinions one way or another and thus it can derail a comment section. As I stated the article does not state on whether or not this is a moral issue it's about how a special edition PS4 helped raised some money for a charity. It is no different then say if a White Destiny PS4 was sold to raise money for some kind of charity. Comments containing one's opinion what it represents is not needed. Just stick with the subject at hand that's all.

I hope that clears it up.

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

@rjejr it wouldn't be so bad. Things have simmered down. However every time I see "gaymer", I am like; Can we all just be gamers, equally gamers?

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

@Tasuki I respectfully disagree with your conclusions on the nature of the article. The article is all in the positive, and the picture is titled "a thing of beauty", saying that the issue surrounding this PS4 is a positive one. That's a moral statement. Add to that staff members applauding the article in the comments section.

If people come and comment on this article by saying "oh this is great" or "this is a good thing", they are giving their opinion on what this represents. Their opinion is that this represents a good thing.

And this PS4 is more then just a PS4 auctioned for charity. As stated by Pushsquare it's a PS4 with a message. A White Destiny PS4 doesn't carry the same message. So there certainly is a difference, especially considering what charity it would be coupled with.

I wonder if someone will auction a PS4 that supports United Families International, someday.

Zergling

Zergling said:

@ThreadShadow
Thank you for taking a stand on this issue. You sir have hit the nail on the head.

I just wish I could get my previous question that I posted answered so I can make a well informed decision on my families continued support or non-support of Sony.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

@Reverend_Skeeve
If one possesses strong feelings concerning this topic, it is almost impossible to engage in a civil debate about it. ThreadShadow said it best: "This represents a bad thing, but I can't convince anyone of that, and no one will convince me it isn't." He isn't going to convince me it's a bad thing, and I'm not going to convince him that it's a good thing. What's the point of discussing it?

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

@ThreadShadow: Thank you for your opinion but its time now to stop. My decision still stands and anymore attempt to derail the thread can result in a punishment. If you can not keep from insulting others please don't respond to the article. Quite incidentally this does represent a good thing it represents equality it's only bad to closed minded people like you I am afraid. Anyway as I said this is done if you need to discuss further please use the contact form or contact us at

Thank you for understanding.

This goes for anyone else as well further derailment on this subject can be meant with punishment.

Holydiver85

Holydiver85 said:

Thats awesome that they were able to raise money for charity. Imagine if they got a bunch of artists to paint up some ps4's and auction em off. That would be really wicked.

I would love to have that ps4 in my cabinet rather than the boring black one. I love my red 25th anniversary Mario edition wii. We need more colour in our lives.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

"Quite incidentally this does represent a good thing it represents equality it's only bad to closed minded people like you I am afraid." -Tasuki

Apparent definition of close-minded: Anyone who doesn't believe PC doctrine.

@Fenriswolf You were right!