No Man's Sky Will Fly to Other Formats After PS4

Planet hopper

You didn’t think that No Man’s Sky, the seemingly limitless space exploration game from British indie Hello Games, was going to stay moored on the PlayStation 4 forever, did you? Despite being strongly associated with Sony’s next-gen system, the company’s director Sean Murray has hinted that the release will be free to fly elsewhere eventually. Quelle surprise.

The tidbit was revealed in the latest issue of EDGE magazine, in which the publication stressed that, as expected, the title will be a timed exclusive to PS4, and will end up on the PC eventually. “I actually got in a bit of trouble for saying that we wanted the game to feel really console-y," said Murray. "We've always had PC in mind, but in my head console-y means solid framerate and immediate controls."

The ambitious excursion was originally announced at the VGX Awards last year, where it generated some positive buzz among indie fans. However, anticipation for the game shot straight through the stratosphere in June, when the title was showcased during Sony’s E3 press conference. The pressure’s now on the teensy outfit to deliver.

[via edge-online.com, neogaf.com, gamesreviews.com]

SonyInfinity

SonyInfinity said:

Could be a genre breaking all time great success, or one of the largest busts of all time. Hello Games has their work cut out for them.

eLarkos

eLarkos said:

This is never going to be able to live up to its hype. We hardly know a thing about the game but people on the internet are going crazy because it generates worlds. Of course I hope this is good, but man im feeling shady about this one.

N711

N711 said:

Sony liars! XD
Just kidding but I'm surprised there's no hint of an xbone port yet

GameAce

GameAce said:

This really was THE PS4 game from E3. A lot of eyes are going to be fixed on this one. Can it deliver on expectations so high? Indie studios have surprised me before. I'm ready to get behind the wheel of this game. And I won't be playing it on PC.

SunnyShores

SunnyShores said:

i think it will be fantastic. i never read into hype,the game is never as good as the hype. i just take the game as it is, and enjoy it for what it is

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

Does nobody remember that this was announced for PC well before E3 and Sony discussing it being a console exclusive? I remember the original footage and discussions being PC only.

hadlee73

hadlee73 said:

I'd hate to be a developer expected to deliver on the high expectations this game has garnered.

jimmaggee

jimmaggee said:

The premise of this game is absolutely fantastic and i think that the main draw is the ability to just hop on and off of planets and fly between them without scripted segments or any loading. However the way they described it at e3 made it sound as thought there are no levelling systems or actual challenges in the game and so it will be fun to explore for a short while but for me it will tire quickly. I want all this but with levels and tons of loot to grow my character as i explore otherwise for me this will have little value other than to explore for a while. I really want this game to succeed and grow and be added to with such things as it is the game i have always wanted, it just needs some depth! Good luck to the studio!

Manic7Muppet8

Manic7Muppet8 said:

@XFsWorld I agree with you, it would be a great game on Vita, but in all honesty I think the only way you'd be able to play this on Vita is via remote play. As a non-PS4 owner, I'd just be happy if they ported it to PS3...

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

This was obvious from the start only crazy Sony fans thought this was an exclusive on consoles. I'm more concerned how it will actually play as there has been so much hype generated by the media and people from very little information.

odd69

odd69 said:

thats the problem. the game is what it is, it will be what ever it is, and it will never live up to anyone's expectations. Im hyped about it in another way. Another good looking indie title to play on my ps4.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I never saw the appeal of this one, but at least I don't have to buy a PS4 to try it.