Don't Worry, PS4's Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Won't Be Dark and Gritty

Sequel won't step into The Last of Us' shadow

The Last of Us may well have exceeded all expectations, and cemented itself as one of the most important PlayStation exclusive properties since Gran Turismo and God of War – but that doesn’t mean that the upcoming Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End is going to be especially dark. The title's first teaser trailer, debuted at E3 2014 earlier in the year, certainly hinted at a grittier sequel – but Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells insists that the PlayStation 4 follow up will be as light-hearted as ever.

“Uncharted is a completely different franchise, and appeals to its audience for completely different reasons,” he told Eurogamer.net. “I don’t think that The Last of Us marks a new direction in tone that all of our future games are going to take on; we’d alienate a lot of our Uncharted fans. We want to keep it a light-hearted romp. I think that from a technical standpoint we’ve learned some things from the Last of Us that will feed into Uncharted – in fact, it strengthens our desire to keep them distinct.”

All signs point to this being Nathan Drake’s very last treasure hunting adventure, with even voice actor Nolan North pontificating that the popular protagonist may have reached the end of the road. We definitely get the feeling that a few characters are going to fall in this instalment – but whether it will actually be the hero himself remains to be seen. Still, it’s nice to know that if the likeable mass murderer does bite the dust, he’ll do it with a customary wisecrack.

[via eurogamer.net, psu.com]

RaymanFan2

RaymanFan2 said:

I still think this'll be the darkest one, even if that doesn't mean it'll be all that dark, especially beside TLoU.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Probably the game that will make me get a PS4 as I'm sure it will release before TLG, FFXV and BGE2, even if I don't necessarily believe wholeheartedly in the 2015 date. I'm sure their shooting for it, but I foresee Mar 2016. Which means a PS4 for my birthday in July 2016. The sleek PS4 slim w/ 1TB HDD.

Though if they turn this into a FPS for Morpheous they can forget it.

Dual-shock-spok

Dual-shock-spok said:

@rjejr I think ND will hit the release date of late 2015, that would give them 2 years since they announced this games developement! In fact, I think 2015 is really going to be a year full of awesome surprises from Sony.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

notice how he is wearing a wedding ring and asking sully to help him get something back, I rekon he married elana and either she has been kidnaped or their kid has

RawShark

RawShark said:

They always tease that Sully is about to pop his clogs. He's the Kenny McCormick of video games.

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

"All signs point to this being Nathan Drake’s very last treasure hunting adventure"

I felt exactly the same. Yet in a recent interview about Uncharted 4, Druckmann is quoted as saying, "it really does feel like we have something special that’ll evolve the series." That may suggest otherwise.

MaverikWerewolf

MaverikWerewolf said:

Way to continue parroting the worn-out accusation that Nate is a mass murderer, dude. He's a video game character, and I personally love his quips, so yeah, I hope he keeps them (unlike in Uncharted 3, where people who repeat that he's a "psychopath," which is ridiculous, got his quips removed).

Johnnycide

Johnnycide said:

As long as it ends with Nate and Sully finding a shedload of treasure and just living out the rest of their days happily, I'm in. They can kill off anyone they like, but let's have Sully intact, yes?

rjejr

rjejr said:

The important thing is the music, they need to top Shambala from 2.

Sundown. Brandy. Something melancholy and 70's that will be memorable. I don't remember much from 3 except them getting picked up at the airport about halfway thru the game when the prolgue ends and the game actually begins.

Shaolin

Shaolin said:

I don't expect them to top the look and feel of Uncharted 2 because that was pure class but I am really looking forward to being pleasantly surprised by the story. Even if it turns out to be dark I'm confident that Naughty Dog will do dark well. In DOG we trust.

Splat

Splat said:

Emily Rose who plays Elena Fisher has a full time gig on the TV show Haven so I'm not sure how much free time she has available?

That said I would be very sad if they killed her off. She is my second favorite female PS character after Ellie (TLOU).

RaymanFan2

RaymanFan2 said:

@get2sammyb Well, it would stand to reason that Sully's really old in this one, since Nate has obviously aged.
Which means Sully would be a last resort since he's less able.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I am very happy to hear this. I thought ND would give in to the Dark Side of M rated, gritty shooters ;)

But still, I would love to see them evolve from the same old plot that they have been using for three games now (never tried the Vita one, so it could be four) as I grew bored of that.

crawdaddy

crawdaddy said:

I look forward to getting the same sense of wonder that I felt when playing Among Thieves. With new hardware, I'm sure they won't disappoint in the art department. I have to imagine that they will be setting the stage for another studio to take the helm - possibly bringing an end to Nate's story but also defining what an Uncharted game can be. I would like to see ND move on to completely new ideas, so they can continue to evolve their games. They've influenced gaming enough that we'll get lots of cinematic adventures like Uncharted from other sources. The Order, for example, looks very much like a PS3 era Naughty Dog game.

Still totally psyched to see what they do with Thief's End though. It might just be the first truly great game on PS4.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

We'll see. I hope they don't kill anybody off, that would be disappointing. Even if it's not The Last of Us dark though I'm still expecting a darker game than I'd like Uncharted to be. Definitely hyped for this regardless, right up there with Quantum Break as my most-anticipated games.

RawWilson1

RawWilson1 said:

Both Nate and Sully dies and Nate leaves both his wife and child(hopefully a daughter) husbandless and fatherless. His daughter then picks up her dad's occupation and a new trilogy is born.