Weirdness: The Last of Us' Ellie Can't Play Guitar, But She Can Sure Rock a Violin

Audio from the end of the world

Father figure Joel may promise to teach Ellie how to play guitar at one point in PlayStation 3 – and soon-to-be PlayStation 4 – exclusive The Last of Us, but we didn’t realise that the potty mouthed protagonist was already something of a whiz on the violin. In truth, she’s not – that’s just musician Taylor Davis posing in her burgundy shirt, and performing a seriously rocking adaptation of Gustavo Santaolalla’s haunting soundtrack.

Already a sensation in the Nintendo sphere, Davis’ incredible The Legend of Zelda covers have had our sister site’s ears burning. While the composition and performance here is pretty incredible, though, she gets additional kudos from us for the video’s production values – that really looks like a post-apocalyptic United States that she’s exploring. It’s just a shame that thumping tunes aren’t exactly the best way to deal with Clickers, huh?

[via youtube.com]

Related Games

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

Best singleplayer game ever. Best soundtrack ever. I love violin music. (Like this more in orginal guitar version though but stll awesome).

Gemuarto

Gemuarto said:

This is so stupid, meh....I hate youtube and crap... =). It's like she spits in my soul or something. Please, girl, stay with Nintendo. And this looks nowhere close to apocaliptic US, just some trainstation backyard or something. But music is nice, though.

antdickensAdmin

antdickens said:

This is great, good on her, it's great to see video games having this kind of cross over into other mediums. Kudos.

Gemuarto

Gemuarto said:

@WARDIE I don't care what me thinks =). But anyway, I think this video is ugly and populist =). I really feel insulted by it. And she is so out of Elly's character, meh. I really liked Elly and this video is only good for parody. I mean, she needs to try harder with playstation crowd. Elly is not some generic Link or something. I really feel insulted by such attitude toward Elly. She like using her to promote that album... it feels just wrong to me. Maybe I am taking this too serious, whatever.

WARDIE

WARDIE said:

@Gemuarto I think you took this video way to personal. I loved Elly too and feel she was one of the best characters in a video game ever. I also feel the artist in this video did a great job. I guess it was her interpretation of the game and Elly and I enjoyed. Anyway we all have our own opinion my friend :)