The Last of Us Remastered Will Gobble Up 50GB of Your PS4's Hard Drive

Spreading like spores

Californian developer Naughty Dog must have sprinkled some fairy dust on The Last of Us Remastered, because we’re not entirely sure how the first-party studio’s managed to fit the game on a single Blu-ray disc. The original title was already pushing the limits of Sony’s storage format, but now that it’s added in a bunch of DLC, higher resolution cut-scenes, and developer commentary, it must be bursting at the seams.

And your PlayStation 4’s hard drive is going to feel the pain of that upgrade, as the title will take up 50GB of space on your machine. As with every next-gen game, you’ll need to install the entire contents of the contemporary compact disc before you can play, but this tends to be a seamless experience on the Japanese giant’s freshest format, so don’t think that you’re going to be sitting around for hours before things get underway.

There are numerous copies of this out in the wild right now, so if you’re trying to dodge spoilers for a second time, you should probably be careful where you look for a couple of weeks. Are you anticipating this re-release of our 2013 Game of the Year? Find some storage space in the comments section below.

[via psu.com, ps3trophies.com]

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Over 10% of the PS4's default storage damn that is a lot, wasn't the PS3 version like 25GB?

Alex840

Alex840 said:

@Jazzer94 Yeah around 25GB. Plus 5GB for Left Behind, plus the two factions map packs. That's well over 30GB before any upgrades.

BenTarrant

BenTarrant said:

So many games are dropping at 50GB.. As @jazzer94 pointed out, that means we're only going to be having 10-15 games.. Hard drive upgrades inbound. At least 1TB internals go for under £30 these days.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

With news like these, Wii U's storage does not feel as small anymore. Mario 3D World is less than 2GB anyway.

But if this is for physical, what is the benefit? You are not saving any space in your HD. Guess there is only sale/trade/lending value.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I think that works out to 77 PS1 discs, that would have been a really big case. :-)

Though on my decent speed broadband it would take me over 8 hours to DL. I wonder how much 77 PS1 discs would weigh?

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

Seriously, people shouldn't complain. You get fast loading times, high res textures and sounds and while it can be a pain for some to download 50GB, the actual storage space is dirt cheap and even a blindfolded monkey can exchange the hard disk, I really see no issues there. Also I don't think I, personally, would ever have ALL of my games installed at once. Going fully digital this gen too.

glassmusic

glassmusic said:

Yeouch! This reminds me though, I really need to uninstall I:SS, Killzone, maybe a couple other things. That's one problem with having to download each game you own the Blu Ray of--the game itself is on the shelf but it's still taking up room on your hard drive. Occasional spring cleaning is a must. :)

Godsire-

Godsire- said:

This is one of the reasons I wait to get new consoles. PS4 needs to come with a bigger hard drive. I have no interest in playing the memory mgmt game this generation. 50 gb is ridiculous.

yakuzah

yakuzah said:

I really don't see what all the fuss is about to be honest. 50GB is a the size of a Bluray disc. Irrespective of physical media or electronic, the size will be the same.

If 500GB installed in standard PS4's is insufficient then buy a 1TB for 40 quid.That is just over 5 quid a month for twice the storage.

The issue with Electronic delivery for a download of this size is individuals DSL Bandwidth speeds!