PS4 Edition of Sniper Elite III Puts a Bullet in the Console Competition

On target

Sony’s no stranger to winning console comparison contests these days – and the PlayStation 4 has once again put a bullet in its closest competitor, the Xbox One. The visual wizards over at Digital Foundry report that the Japanese giant’s next-gen console provides the best home for long-distance shooter Sniper Elite III – assuming that you don’t have a PC.

Among its list of accolades, the PS4 version boasts a sturdier framerate, significantly less screen tearing, and greater detail at distance. As you’d expect, however, while Sony’s system almost matches the computer-based edition, it does fall short – especially once you crank up the latter’s limitless specifications. Not necessarily a fair fight that, though.

You can peruse the differences between consoles courtesy of the side-by-side video embedded below. Remember, while we encourage healthy debate in these comparison threads, let’s keep any discourse as amicable as possible – after all, we don’t want World War III breaking out over what’s essentially a fancy game of spot the difference.

[via eurogamer.net]

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

That video does not seem right. I know we don't like the Xbone around here, but there is no way the screen tears that bad.

@RudysaurusRex These Digital Foundry comparisons are usually very accurate. The video does appear to be slowed down, though, so the issue is exaggerated.

hadlee73

hadlee73 said:

The lack of dev effort shows throughout the game so its not really surprising they didn't get the Xbox up-to-speed. The Sniper Elite games are great game concepts, but almost always executed poorly.

Kohaku

Kohaku said:

You will not see the difference when you play on one of the consoles without the other next to it.

N711

N711 said:

Yea I saw it on Eurogamer site. Looks aweful on xbone but I honestly don't see the point of showing it here

tenderbeefcake

tenderbeefcake said:

SE3 is a very good game if you like that sort of thing. I really like it myself. Its true though that it is not the most polished game around. But you cant blow hole through Nazis quite like this anywhere else. I give it 8/10.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@RudysaurusRex I'm surprised too. I could tell the ps4 framerate was high, but that XB tearing is ridonkykongulous. I don't care how slowed down the video is.
@get2sammyb isn't it still proportional if they're both slowed down the same amount, though? Not hating on MS, but I was even disappointed by it's graphics on ps4, so good thing I bought Sony 😕

tenderbeefcake

tenderbeefcake said:

Agreed. However I think the game would be better first person anyway. I always feel like the third person animations are a waste of power that could be used to make other parts of the game better.

WARDIE

WARDIE said:

I couldn't see anything other than the tearing on the X1 that made the PS4 version look any better.

thedevilsjester

thedevilsjester said:

@WARDIE its very subtle, and in most games won't make a big difference, it will whoever make a huge difference in huge open world or MMORPG games with draw distance and number of models visable on screen.

WARDIE

WARDIE said:

@thedevilsjester I agree. We all know the PS4 is the better console but I just didn't see the point in this video. Im interested in seeing how the versions of The Wither 3 and The Elder Scrolls Online differ from system to system as I have both and want to make sure I get the best version.

thedevilsjester

thedevilsjester said:

@WARDIE FFXIV is the reason I upgraded from the PS3 to the PS4 so early. (On the PS3) Having extremely limited draw distance, very few models on screen at any one time (half the time I cant see 80% of whats supposed to be on screen!), has given me a new respect for graphical performance. Its not always about shadows or texture resolution, or the latest post-processing, etc..., more power can be used to display more objects, all other things being equal. Granted FFXIV won't ever come to the Xbox, because of Microsofts policy on cross-console/cross-pc play, so its a moot argument, but I can see it making a noticeable difference in future MMO endeavors.

For all other games, although I am happy that I have the more powerful device (its a nice change from last generation), its not going to make a realistic difference since I don't care that much about the small differences in graphical quality, and developers will tend to design keeping the lower device in mind anyway, so they will hardly ever put that extra power to any use outside of a little eye candy.