Out This Week: Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty, Ratchet & Clank, The Walking Dead

An odd world

After the non-existent offering of last week, Planet PlayStation is practically bulging with high-quality content this time around. Alright, there still aren’t enough new releases to turn your boxer shorts inside out, but the likes of Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty and the Ratchet & Clank Collection – which is finally due out in North America – should keep you occupied until The Last of Us Remastered.

Pick of the Week: Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty

Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee will always occupy a special spot among PlayStation fans, partly due to its inclusion on the PSone’s debut European demo disc, which also sported the system’s famous dinosaur technology demonstration among other bits and pieces of gaming memorabilia. After lying dormant for over half a decade, Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD brought Lorne Lanning’s weird and wonderful sci-fi series back to life – and now it’s finally making its full, frank, and (presumably) fart-powered return in the form of Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty.

Not technically a brand new game, this is a remake of the infamous 1997 original – but unlike other Oddworld work carried out by developer Just Add Water, this has been built specifically from the ground up for the PlayStation 4. And that means that tweaks have been made during development, including a completely re-imagined 2.5D visual style, and a switch to a continuous scrolling system, which marks a departure from the flip screen format of the original game. This title will be cross-buy compatible when the PlayStation 3 and Vita versions deploy, but no word on a date for those just yet.

PS4 | 22nd July [US], 23rd July [EU]

Everything Else

Might & Magic: Duel of Champions Forgotten Wars
PS3 | 22nd July [US]

Ratchet & Clank Collection
Vita | 22nd July [US]

The Walking Dead: Season 2, Episode 4 – Amid the Ruins
PS3 | 22nd July [US], 23rd July [EU]

Tour de France 2014
PS4 | 22nd July [US]

Will you be digging into Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty this week, or focusing on your backlog ahead of The Last of Us Remastered? Let us know what’s taking your fancy this time around in the comments section below.

What are you most looking forward to this week? (31 votes)

Might & Magic: Duel of Champions Forgotten Wars

Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty

55%

Ratchet & Clank Collection

19%

The Walking Dead: Season 2, Episode 4 – Amid the Ruins

26%

Tour de France 2014

Please login to vote in this poll.

tonyp1987

tonyp1987 said:

I cannt wait for ratchet and clank on vita because most games just feel cool on vita

Davros79

Davros79 said:

Anybody was who hasn't played the original oddworld or players who are revisiting a gorgeous looking remade classic from yester-year are gonna be delighted with this game.

The 2D Oddworlds are still the best platform/puzzle games I've ever played, cant wait for this, unbelievably great game.

Splat

Splat said:

I feel like I have been waiting years for the next Walking Dead.

irken004

irken004 said:

is the ratchet vita collection cross-buy in NA? I think it is in EU right?

Remixora

Remixora said:

Definitely Oddworld for me, I played the first game on my PS One and I loved it back then. This one can only be better.

iDangerMouse_

iDangerMouse_ said:

Oddworld. Definitely Oddworld. Such an awesome game and one I spent hours upon hours playing as a kid. Definitely can't wait to pick this up!

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I'll be mostly playing MLB The Show and the Destiny beta but I may buy the R&C collection. The second and third games were my favorites in the series and from the review it seems like those two games were converted well at least.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Ratchet and Clank Collection. Heck, I didn't even know the game was coming to Vita. Actually, come to think of it I do remember something about it being announced a while back.

In any case, yeah I'ma have to get that pre ordered as soon as they list it at Best Buy.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I played the first Oddworld to death. A great game, although it could be quite frustrating as well. Intrigued to see how the continuous scrolling works.

adf86

adf86 said:

@get2sammyb Oddworld for me this week.
Excuse us for going off topic but since most were playing the Destiny Beta over the weekend, you probably wouldn't have noticed that now you can save astronauts in Resogun now, wonder if they were added as a little reference to Destiny :)

Davis

Davis said:

Has anyone had trouble with the ps store? There is times I have to turn the system off and back on, just to do anything on it

Fire-and-Water

Fire-and-Water said:

Eh, I never liked puzzles. I'm amazed this game is a success, it seems like it goes out of its way to be ... Odd. Ohoho a pun! I'm giggling in my loafers. Please pardon me before I wet my pants.

Davros79

Davros79 said:

@Fire-and-Water well Oddworld new n tasty first reviews are in, it obvious some people like this game.

IGN 8.5/10

Destructoid 8/10

Eurogamer 9/10

Not too shabby!!!

MoleZandor

MoleZandor said:

@Remixora That's what I thought about Flashback, but that was a terrible remake. This however does look a lot lot better and I can't wait to get into it.