Ken Levine Just Buried Our Hopes for BioShock Vita Deep Under the Ocean

Posted by Kell Andersen

Give us the game, and wipe away the debt

Remember when Ken Levine inadvertently popped up at the PS Vita's official reveal event? A now famous moment, the luminary sidled onstage and suggested a game in the BioShock universe was in development for the hot new handheld. Unfortunately, a recent statement on Twitter from the auteur has revealed that, as with the ill-fated cities synonymous with the popular franchise, the portable outing is probably destined for ruin.

"On the Vita game: 2K and Sony couldn't put a deal together, when I last checked. They seemed way more optimistic about this back in 2011," he said. "Wish I could do it myself, but lawyers and all that. I still love my Vita." Not content to simply crush everyone's dreams, however, Levine also felt the need to describe how the game might have actually looked and played.

"I was thinking a Final Fantasy Tactics style thing set in pre-fall Rapture." Levine continued. "Something that would work well on the Vita and not be a compromise in any way." The director always implied that the handheld version wouldn't necessarily have stuck to the series' signature shooting, so these comments aren't entirely unexpected.

What is unexpected, though, is how excited we now are for a game that'll almost certainly never exist. Would you have played a tactical BioShock game on that Vita, or does the franchise's metaphysical mumbo-jumbo put you off? Give a toast to Andrew Ryan in the comments section below.

[via twitter.com]

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

I don't really get why so many people want "old" games on the Vita now (but bitched about stuff like AC3 getting Wii U ports cough)

Sure, it needs more games, but I'd rather see NEW games. The Vita doesn't need ports for the ports' sake, it needs exclusive and more unique content, that sets it apart. Games and game series, you don't have on any other console/handheld.

@Tsurii897 I think the premise in this case was that it was going to be a new BioShock game made exclusively for the Vita. Of course, the chances of that ever happening ended the moment the Vita started to struggle.

EDIT: And now I've actually read the article, he says right above that it was going to be a Final Fantasy Tactics type title. Sounds amazing.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@get2sammyb Okay, I derped big time :D
I saw the Ellie pic on top and thought of an Infinite Port (and yes..I actually read everything, no idea how I managaed to do this)

And it DOES sound awesome. Another game, I want really bad, that'll probably never happen (or at least not in the near future) :/

Dodoo

Dodoo said:

I would love to see more big franchise AAA games on the Vita. I hope the sales continue to pick up so it's more likely to happen...

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

"I was thinking a Final Fantasy Tactics style thing set in pre-fall Rapture."

In an parallel universe this happened and I hope universe B me (we're definetly universe A) played and enjoyed it.
This sort of thing is why I wish companies don't announce things (RES PSP anyone) when they haven't got a build of the games up and running at the least.

Heavyman99

Heavyman99 said:

This could honestly have worked really well! The splicers would be the unit types, Big Daddies and Little Sisters could be wild card elements, various types of melee weapons, guns for archer types, plasmids for mage types. Health Packs and Eve. Money to be used at vendors, and Adam to upgrade. All of it, also, looking like Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

rjejr

rjejr said:

So he "pulled an EA"? (see EAs unprecedented partnersip w/ Nintendo at the Wii U E3 unveil)

Max04

Max04 said:

I wish someone can fight for vita in AAA games and own it, our vita need that person.

WARDIE

WARDIE said:

I don't think the Vita will see many more AAA games now, if any. Sony themselves have admitted that they won't be releasing many more first partys. Its such a shame as the Vita is such a capable machine.