How Is the PS4 Controller Used in The Last of Us Remastered?

Touched by the touchpad

The novelty of the DualShock 4’s superfluous features have lost a little of their lustre of late, but that doesn’t give developers an excuse to ignore them. Fortunately, upcoming PlayStation 4 re-release The Last of Us Remastered will boast some nifty features enabled by the next-gen console’s overhauled input device.

Perhaps the most obvious of the additions is that your health will be reflected by the light bar, changing from blue to orange to red depending on your physical wellbeing. Meanwhile, the touchpad will be employed to open protagonist Joel’s backpack, while flashlight sounds and audio recordings will come out of the controller’s onboard speaker.

This latter tweak actually signals a sizeable change, as you’ll no longer have to delve into the inventory to hear the musings of other survivors; instead, they’ll play while you’re scavenging the rest of the world like in Killzone: Shadow Fall. Alright, these are hardly game changing tweaks, but it’s just another example of Naughty Dog going the extra mile with this re-release.

[via gameinformer.com]

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@get2sammyb Nah I understand when there isn't much else to talk about a good example of that was Mario Kart 8 that was what most Wii U related news consisted of for 3 months plus I'm actually interested in the changes for the PS4 version as Sony and Naughty Dog have been a bit to quite on that front besides fps and resolution.

Carl-G

Carl-G said:

Sounds cool ;) But the 1 thing that spoiled KZ:SF for me was the stupid touch pad :-/ It just made the game more complicated i thought i.e more buttons to learn and press & pointless swiping up/down in game etc etc while getting slaughtered by the enemy again & again because i kept swiping it wrong :D

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

Personally, I don't see the point of using the light bar to indicate health. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't notice the colour when I'm playing, rendering it irrelevant.

N711

N711 said:

@Paranoimia Yea the light bar is not very useful, just a cool feature, but the touchpad and speaker are great for most games

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@Paranoimia I set mine to dim (for the sake of my poor cat's vision). there's no way I'd notice unless I use a tv by a mirror. Even at night it's bright enough to see, but not enough to see by.
They don't mean there's no on-screen health bar, do they? (I'd play without a HUD i.e. ranger mode)

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

Some nice little features....the auto play of audio recording is neat but also to be expected of a controller with a speaker built into it. I'd not buy the game again but I envy the gamers who will be experiencing TLOU for the first time on PS4.

PMasterTy9

PMasterTy9 said:

I don't get why they keep emphasizing on the light bar. It's cool that it changes color but since it is on the front of the controller facing the TV you don't see it unless you tilt the controller up.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

The main thing I would like to know about The last of us ps4 remaster is whether the European version will have censored factions again does anyone know?

Alex840

Alex840 said:

A little annoyed that Joel's backpack is opened by swiping the touch pad. I would have preferred it to be pressed, seems more natural.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

@Shaolin thanks for the reply, damn that really sucks because I spend a lot of time playing factions. I would order the ntsc version but all dlc that is released after might be region locked like the ps3 :(

Shaolin

Shaolin said:

@ReigningSemtex Yes, I'm in a similar situation as you and I think I'm going to wait until after the game launches to see what the situation is regarding region locking and DLC.

seeafish

seeafish said:

I like the controller features, especially the speaker. Transistor uses both speaker and lightbar brilliantly and it really does add to the immersive feel.
Also, when you play in the dark, the light bar shines on your fingers, but it's hardly a good indicator for health. Once again, transistor really uses it nicely to show when the transistor itself is speaking.

RaymanFan2

RaymanFan2 said:

The touchpad usage just sounds like a replacement for the SELECT button. Unless you can drag to select things (which would be slower than the DPad anyway), I don't see how this is a 'feature'.

Krinkle_Kaptain

Krinkle_Kaptain said:

The lightbar is pretty useful in multiplayer games...you can quickly look around tha room and figure out who is who because the lightbar represents each individual player wih a different color...typically its blue for P1, red for P2, Green for P3 and pink for P4. Very useful in towerfall ascension. And, it represents all of the color buttons in a counter clockwise fashion.