Guide: How to Get into the Destiny Beta on PS4

Posted by Robert Ramsey

It's not as hard as you think

So, interested in Destiny, are you? At this point, we suppose the better question is: who isn't interested? The game's alpha sent the PlayStation community into an uproar, and it's safe to say that we were thoroughly impressed, too.

Chances are, if you're hyped for Bungie's upcoming sci-fi epic, you'll already know how to reserve your place in the title's beta, which is set to go live on the 17th July. For those who are unsure, there are just a few relatively simple steps that you have to follow if you want in on the action.

Firstly, you'll have to pre-order the release from a participating retailer. If you're not sure which stores offer beta codes, you can take a look by clicking through here and entering the relevant information into the fields. If you've pre-ordered online, you should be emailed a code or sent a code through the website, which you can then enter into bungie.net, where you'll also need to create an account if you haven't already. Meanwhile, if you've pre-ordered from an actual store, your physical receipt should have a code printed on it somewhere.

Now, here's the part that's been catching a few people out. The aforementioned code that you get from a participating retailer isn't the same code that you'll use to download the beta when it becomes available. At the time of writing, you'll be able to choose which platform you want to play the beta on as of today, July 10th, via your account on bungie.net. Once you've done that, you should receive your download code between now and the start of the beta. All that's left then is to redeem that code on the PlayStation Store.

Phew. Did you catch all that? If you're still a little unsure, feel free to dip into the comments section below and shoot the Push Square community your questions.

[Update]: If you've pre-ordered Destiny from the PlayStation Store, don't worry — Bungie says that you'll still be getting your beta code closer to release. Explaining the situation on its official forums, the developer stresses that PSN pre-orders are still entitled to beta access. You should get your code either via email or PSN message.

[via bungie.net]

clarksmc

clarksmc said:

I've tried to find this all over the internet. I know this is MMO with a campaign/ PvP map etc. But lets say its just me and a buddy who both have the game want to go exploring this "massive" open world and just fight and loot and discover stuff. Like playing Skyrim with a buddy kind of, if that makes sense. Does this game offer that or do we not know yet?

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@clarksmc You'll be happy to know it does. The world isn't as totally open as something like Skyrim, but you can very easily join up with friends and explore as much as you want.

You will encounter other people, though. You can't hurt each other, but you'll see other players exploring, too. Not huge amounts, just a few here and there. Hope that helps!

AhabSpampurse

AhabSpampurse said:

I've registered my code through bungie.net, and there's a lil psn logo underneath my avatar, am I safe to assume that PS is my chosen platform? If not, how do I chose my platform? If this seems like a stupid question I apologise I'm advance.

NicolaHaydenStaff

NicolaHayden said:

Have my code but unless the multiplayer is cross platform, I won't be able to play with the rest of the team. =/

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@AhabSpampurse You may have to wait for an email from Bungie before you can choose your platform of choice. All we know is that you'll be able to choose today at some point (July 10th).

WARDIE

WARDIE said:

Pre ordered my copy in January and then signed up with Bungie.Net and entered my code along with choosing my platform. Haven't heard anything from Bungie as yet :(

TOMBOY25

TOMBOY25 said:

im just gonna buy 2 codes from ebay one for ps4 one for xbox one they're only 99p hoping the xbox one version plays as well as ps4 because the xone is my currently preferred console.

Davs_Due

Davs_Due said:

Get a beta key free (check it out before you buy it):
1. Pre-order it on Amazon
2. You will get Two emails instantly. One from amazon (confirmation email) and one from Bungie with your beta key.
3. Sign up on Bungie.net (follow the instructions in the email) and activate your new beta key that came with the mail (You will get to choose a platform any time soon and get a activation code)
4. Cancel the pre-order with the link in your mail from Amazon

Hope to see some happy people on the PS4 :D

TOMBOY25

TOMBOY25 said:

@get2sammyb honestly i dont know why i prefer it, i bought it and i really hated it never used it for about a month but now its the other way around the last game i played on ps4 was infamous:SS.

im not stupid tho if a multiplatform game releases like tomb raider did (60fps ps4/30fps xone) i'll obviously buy it on ps4.

PoNY_LTD

PoNY_LTD said:

What if I preordered it through ps store? Don't seem to find the code anywhere :/

@Davs_Due In addition to that, I just pre-ordered through Amazon so can confirm that the codes come through immediately - there's no hanging around waiting for it to arrive.

Holydiver85

Holydiver85 said:

Does anyone know yet if the co-op/multiplayer is cross platform? @ShogunRok mentioned some form of co-op. If my brother plays this on XB1 and Im on PS4 then there shouldnt be a problem eh?

chazaroonie

chazaroonie said:

I've pre ordered my copy from Amazon and was told I'd get my beta code. However, I am yet to receive an email with it included. I know the beta doesn't start till next week, but should I be concerned that I've not received my code yet?

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@PoNY_LTD You should end up getting a code for it somehow. I can't find a definite answer, but I'd keep an eye on your emails.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@chazaroonie Like @get2sammyb said, you should get a code through an Amazon email or through the website fairly quickly after you've pre-ordered. Then you just put that code into Bungie's website. Hopefully it arrives soon for you!

McSterls

McSterls said:

I pre-ordered through PSN, pretty sure that entitles me to the Beta, but when I log into the store today I see an graphic about upgrading to the Digital Guardian Edition for $29.99 to get Beta Access. What's that about?

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@McSterls I think that's just asking if you want to upgrade to the digital collector's edition. See the above post about pre-orders on PSN.

I'll update the article, too.

WARDIE

WARDIE said:

@Holydiver85 There is to way play Destiny with people on other platforms just like any other game before it. If you buy it on PlayStation 4 you can only play with people on PlayStation 4.

McSterls

McSterls said:

@ShogunRok Thanks. I think it's sneaky though, seems like a lot of people might upgrade their purchase to get access they already have.

PoNY_LTD

PoNY_LTD said:

Has anyone seen the price for the Ghost edition in the UK? I hope this is some sort of error or a joke...

WARDIE

WARDIE said:

Well Bungie can kiss my white arse!!! Even though I pre ordered my copy 6 months ago and signed up with Bungie.Net they're now saying there're no beta codes left and I should try again on the 17th. If there're no codes left now I doubt very much I'll get one on the day of the beta as everyone who wants one will be trying to get in. Here Bungie take my money and why not bend me over and screw me too.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@WARDIE It's okay - at this point I think all codes are available on the 17th. If you're getting that message on your profile page, then you should be fine.

WARDIE

WARDIE said:

@ShogunRok Hope so but I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed just in case. According to Bungie they will be giving people 3 codes each so they can invite there friends into the beta. I Shouldn't really complain as I did play the the Alpha.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@WARDIE Don't worry, I get the exact same message. I go on my profile, select PS4 and my region, and then a little pop-up box tells me codes aren't available until the 17th.

seeafish

seeafish said:

@ShogunRok you sure about that? I'm getting the same, which is rather confusing since they email you saying "CHOOSE PLATFORM NOW", and then you do it says " CHOOSE PLATFORM IN 7 DAYS".
Hope I get my key...

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@seeafish I'm guessing that's the case. I think NA users may be able to register their region now, whereas we Europeans have to wait until the 17th to do so.

JQuest

JQuest said:

@TOMBOY25 I'm the same way. XBOX is my platform of choice, because that's where the majority of my friends game (at least the very few that's actually already jumped over to 8th gen) so my thought process on multi-plat is that if it's a multiplayer focused game like CoD or Destiny, then XBox it is. If there's a huge technical difference between the two as it concerns single player focused games, then I'll choose the superior version. Though exclusive content like in the case of Destiny kind of muddy the waters a tad in my decision process.

As it stands right now like I said above, most of my friends haven't made the jump to PS4 or XO yet, so I'm kind of left playing with strangers. So I don't have very many friends on the new platforms yet, which makes me sad. Haha

TOMBOY25

TOMBOY25 said:

@JQuest That's EXACTLY my problem i'm not the type to start chatting to randoms so im just on my own until they make the jump.

If you want to add me im TOMBOY25 on both platforms.

JQuest

JQuest said:

@TOMBOY25 Yea I'm with ya on that one. I don't really chat it up randoms myself. Lol. Though I have made a couple fighting game sparring partner friends online. I appreciate the add invite! I'll look ya up when I get home from work. Be on the look out for JQuest1981 on PSN and Sir JBizzle on XBL!

The_Gremlin

The_Gremlin said:

Problems choosing my platform on my budgie profile. I choose ps4 (europe) and it says codes not available for this platform and region at the moment come back on July 17th. Anyone else had this problem?

HeisenbergBlue

HeisenbergBlue said:

@AhabSpampurse
You need to go back into your bungie account click on redeemed codes and you should now be able to select the region and platform, although if you are a European PS4 owner you cannot yet select that option, it says to come back on 17th July, hope that helps

Cinematic242

Cinematic242 said:

So.. According to the FAQ, anyone that's not in the americas should select Europe.
Does that include Caribbean countries like the Bahamas or are we grouped with the Americas?

bmalcolm89

bmalcolm89 said:

Anyone know how you get the code to put into Bungie website to redeem more codes when you have ordered it of the PS Store ?

seeafish

seeafish said:

@ShogunRok Yup, looks like I'll have to try on the 17th. Tried both today and yesterday, and still the same "come back later" message.
Better not have any issues on the 17th!

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@seeafish I'm sure we'll be fine. It's a pain to not know for certain, but the backlash would be too great for them to muck this up.

seeafish

seeafish said:

@The_Gremlin Thanks for the heads up. I get "Come back on Jul 17 2014 to get your marketplace code!" but at least it's been requested now! :)

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

Ha, pre ordered mine from Tesco, got no Beta code, went on the bungie website today to see that Tesco's have been removed from the list of retailers that will give you a Beta code. Cheers

Cron_13

Cron_13 said:

@Reverandjames - that sucks about Tesco :/
I'm 99.9% sure that each Beta Key is good for 3 download codes - I'll have a spare for PS4 if you'd like it.

Cron_13

Cron_13 said:

Yep - I'll add you to PSN later on this evening and send you a code. I think I've read its 6pm UK time so around that time.

seeafish

seeafish said:

@ShogunRok Still seeing
Come back on Jul 17 2014 to get your download code(s)!
Anyone else?
Starts in like 3-4 hours... My friend who preordered on PSN has already downloaded it and ready to roll.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Yep same here. It's looking like we won't be able to download until 6PM UK time, which is also when the beta opens its gates. It's a bit annoying!

Cron_13

Cron_13 said:

Network is a bit overloaded atm but it is working. It's a 13gb dl though installs after a few mins so wonder if it does the whole world of war craft thing and downloads as you play.

James I've added you on psn.