This Patch for Borderlands 2 on Vita Will Help Fix The Shooter's Shonky Controls

Posted by Kell Andersen

Controlled chaos

The Borderlands 2 port on PlayStation Vita has been about as divisive as our internal E3 game of the show votes. Some have complimented the re-release's faithful recreation of the source material, while others have condemned its questionable controls. If you find yourself in the latter camp, you'll be glad to hear that a recent patch will help to waylay some of these input-based woes.

Among other things, update 1.04 will allow you more control over the inversion of the game's gyroscopic controls. For instance, if you only want to invert the y-axis, but need to leave the x-axis untouched, you'll now be able to do so. Arguably more useful, is a new feature which will allow you to scale down the rear touchpad input, ensuring you won't accidentally make a move just by firmly gripping your sleek machine.

In truth, we think that last one should be standard on all games that support the portable's innovative input method. Have you been looting your way through Borderlands 2 on your handheld device, or was one time around more than enough? Reload in the comments section below.

[via blog.us.playstation.com]

moomoo

moomoo said:

@wagleton It may never come, and even if it does, it probably won't include the DLC that comes with the game (they're separate download codes). It's cool if you don't care for the DLC, but just keep it in mind.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

THIS. IS. AWESOME!

I gave up playing Borderlands 2 for several reasons, the biggest being the fact that the entire rear touchpad registered as a button command. So you had to play with your fingers extended so as to not make contact.

I spoke with some fans who apparently were under the delusion that this wasn't a problem. "Oh it works just fine, you just don't know how to hold it right" they said. "The game is perfect, you're the only one I've ever heard complain" they said. Ha!

Well this is excellent news. FANTASTIC news! It doesn't solve the issue of the front screen edge being too close to the analogues (they should have made sliders for the window of contact on the front screen too, but whatever), but this was by far the biggest issue with the game. In fact, it was so bad it's the reason I quit playing. Wow, I can't believe they actually fixed this! Ok then! Looks like I'll be jumping back into my game...

Punished_Boss_84

Punished_Boss_84 said:

According to those Blog comments (specifically comment @11) that patch doesn't fix the main issues and isn't available in the UK (EU?)

As always good pun.

k_andersenStaff

k_andersen said:

@Punished_Boss I believe the update is available in the UK, as it's been posted on the UK blog. As for the main issues, I suspect that commenter is probably right. I've not played the vita port, but I've heard both good and bad things.

As for the pun, thank you! Don't tell Sammy, but I usually put the most effort into the pun :P

Azikira

Azikira said:

What really needs to be fixed is the frame-rate. It's pretty consistently under 30fps. Patch -that- and I will be happy

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

I really don't understand why the vita couldn't have been made with L3 and R3 buttons... I just picked up my first ever vita about 2 weeks ago, I got the new slim version that's bundled with borderlands2. I really loved that game on console, but the main reason was because it was super fun to play with a few friends. I didn't get my vita for multiplayer in any way shape or form so I haven't really played much of borderlands. I have been having a blast with ff10 and soon ff10-2 though !

odd69

odd69 said:

i just wouldn't want to play this on a handheld. im spoiled to the console version

Sutorcen

Sutorcen said:

The good news is that they care about the game and they are trying to fix things. I bet optimizing the game further is also in the works. It is still amazing how they managed to fit this game on a handheld device. Kudos.