Relive a Classic Adventure with Another World on PS4, PS3, and Vita Next Week

Posted by Kell Andersen

A world apart

It seems that Sony systems are the new home for classic adventure games. Last week during E3 we learned that Grim Fandango, Tim Schafer's excursion into the murky world of noir, will be coming to the PlayStation 4 and Vita. And now, we've been given a release date for Another World, the quirky sci-fi title that originally launched back in 1991.

The visually distinctive game – which is set to land next week on the PS4, PS3, and Vita – has also seen a whole host of updates, which have been overseen by its original creator Eric Chahi. These include refined animations, full-colour backgrounds, and a new cinematic soundtrack. Oh, and the developer's also managed to boost the resolution, so it should look nice and crisp.

Unfortunately, this fledgling writer wasn't even born when the game was originally released, so he can't fully comprehend how influential and impressive it was. What he can appreciate, though, is that this new version will be launching with cross-buy and cross-save functionality, meaning that he'll be able to purge his ignorance on the go.

Will you be picking up Another World, or are its gaunt graphics turning you off? Do you want more classics like this to see a second life on modern consoles? Blast off in the comments section below.

[via blog.eu.playstation.com]

Related Games

k_andersenStaff

k_andersen said:

This, like Grim Fandango, is exactly the sort of game I'd love to play on Vita. Needless to say, I'm pretty chuffed that we're getting both.

eliotgballade

eliotgballade said:

awesome news ! one of my all time favourite games (ever) . still got SNES version , ground breaking in its day - was it really 21+ years ago ? i'd buy a pS4 for this and this game alone .

eliotgballade

eliotgballade said:

@SimonAdebisi : these extra screen shots should answer your question why .
@get2sammyb : looks beautiful ! hope he still opens that can of pop and swigs it in a couple of gulps (after he parks up his ferrari in the lower screenshot)

Kidfried

Kidfried said:

This game is a great adventure, even after 21 years. Played it for the first time 6 years a go and can recommend it to y'all!

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

Will definitely buy this. Such a wonderful game and one of my all time favorites. Played (and finished) the original back then on the Amiga 500...hardly ever has a game or piece of media in general touched me like that game.

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

HA isn't it awesome, that we're old enough (some of us) so we can still remember the original buzz around this game? I missed it the first time, gonna pick it up on my VITA (needs something to do anyways).

Mrskinner

Mrskinner said:

@Scollurio I remember the Buzz around this and flashback, both were amazing!

Just searched for images of the SNES version and another game popped up which took me back to my youth. Does anyone remember a game called actraiser?

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

@Scollurio Yeah, man. Get this one, you're in for a treat. This game manages to evoke an unbelievable atmosphere without any dialogue and with very minimalist cut-scenes. Pure art.

@Mrskinner No, sadly I don't remember actraiser. And I've never played Flashback, sadly...hope for a remake as well, because I'd love to see what I missed back then.

Mrskinner

Mrskinner said:

@ztpayne7 Game was brilliant but yep, I remember getting stuck on it more than a few times! Happy memories. Can't believe it was 22 years ago.

KillTheG1mp

KillTheG1mp said:

The fact that the writer of this article mentioned he was born "after" 1991 makes me feel like an old fart even though I'm pushing on thirty in a year. 0_o

I'll give this game a go because I never got to play it back in the day (ya know, before the internet we used to go and actually play outside ;p)

N711

N711 said:

Wasnt that impressed when it came out but as I started to enjoy it I got stuck in a glitch in the game (on PC). I wouldnt play it on PS4 but on Vita will be great I think :)

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Mrskinner Actraiser was and still is fantastic did you play the second one? I forgot the exact name but it was even better
Edit: I think it was just called Actraiser2
Also didn't know about flashback on ps3 I'm going to get that soon thanks :)

LDXD

LDXD said:

@get2sammyb I knew they were releasing this game but didn't know about them updating the visuals
This is now a must buy, seems like it would be a good fit for the vita. Now I'm debating on Wii u or vita

LDXD

LDXD said:

Has anyone played a PC game called heart of darkness? I think it was the spiritual successor to this

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

@Mrskinner No, I've never owned a PS3, just borrowed one from a friend for a few month in 2013. I even read about the Flashback remake on it...so there's hope they'll also release it on PS4, maybe. :)

dgwdum

dgwdum said:

I didn't know this was even coming out, thanks for the heads up sammy. This was one favorite games on the snes.

Mrskinner

Mrskinner said:

@LDXD yeah I remember actraiser 2, if I recall the graphics made a huge jump between the 2 titles. Both amazing. Back when Enix was a stand alone company squaring off with square soft! They use to publish some great games

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Mrskinner yeah its been a long while but from what I remember you fly to different locations on the map and land on what area you want to start in
I wish either Sony or Nintendo would have both the games available to download

Mrskinner

Mrskinner said:

@LDXD yeah it was an overhead populous style game where you played an angel and had to oversee the growth of civilization. Then you had to enter dungeons which became a side scrolling hack and slash. Awesome games. You can get them on an emulator but I would love a remake

LDXD

LDXD said:

@KillTheG1mp hmm not sure. I just remember watching my cousin play it on PC a long time ago. I'd like to see a remake of it though

Mrskinner

Mrskinner said:

@LDXD I remember heart of darkness. Was on ps1 also, I played it on that console.

So many old IP's I would love to see make a comeback, had to pull out my snes earlier, makes you realise what a varied console that was, so many amazing games in one place!

3rdEyeMind

3rdEyeMind said:

Now bring this game's director's follow up game, Heart Of Darkness (PS1), back and all is golden!

Furthermore, let's get this director to make a new game!