PS4's Resogun Rescues a Free Update Tomorrow, Adds New Trophies and Local Co-op

Posted by Robert Ramsey

Boom, there it is

Despite the fact that Sony put a lot of stock into the PlayStation 4's retail launch line-up which included the likes of Knack and Killzone: Shadow Fall, many of us were too busy being mesmerised by Resogun to take notice. The downloadable spaceship shooter from developer Housemarque even went on to win our award for Best PlayStation 4 Game of 2013.

Indeed, the incredibly pretty blast-'em-up has been available since the console launched last year, and now it's hoping to draw players back by gunning down a rather impressive update before the title's Heroes expansion becomes available for purchase. Hitting tomorrow night, the patch will implement several changes and throw in a few new features, most notably the ability to blow up some baddies with a friend as you both sit on your sofa. You'll also be able to have fun with a new ship editor, where you can customise your craft any way you want, block by block. And if that wasn't enough, the update even offers up some more trophies — what's not to like?

Unfortunately, there is some relatively bad news. The game's leaderboards will be wiped following the discovery of score exploits, and will start over once the patch goes live. Thankfully, the arrival of the Hall of Fame will act as an archive for those who achieved high scores through acceptable methods. Will you be hopping back into the pilot's seat in time for all of this new content? Explode into hundreds of pieces in the comments section below.

[via blog.eu.playstation.com]

glassmusic

glassmusic said:

Heck yes! I'm really looking forward to the patch and the DLC. I'm terrible at the game but I keep going back for more. I absolutely love it. I thought that Flower would be the game I kept going back to (I was basically obsessed with the PS3 ver, to the point where I was even one of the winners of that Sony essay competition from back when) but the game I keep firing up is Resogun. Need to head to bed but want TEN MORE MINUTES of activity? Bam, perfect. Waiting for the wife to finish getting ready? Haha you get the idea.

running_snake

running_snake said:

Love this game, but haven't gone back to it in a little bit. Free local co-op is amazing for them to give, that's what I've been waiting for. This has definitely been my best PS Plus game, and now even more free stuff? Going to buy all of the expansion packs - this dev deserves to be supported.

VictorySong

VictorySong said:

Just started playing this game again yesterday to practice up for the new DLC. Truly awesome game and by far one of the most addicting games I've ever played.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

This is one of wonderful little pieces of news that I love. Fantastic game and a free update that adds a lot of value and play time.

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

The appeal of Resogun was honestly lost on me when I played it but that's just me. Update sounds good maybe I'll try it again. Does it name and shame the cheaters so they can be lined up in the streets and whipped with a flail of PS4 charge cables? :p

Swinny

Swinny said:

Well, I was number 40 on the leaderboard, and I did it with no exploits. Argh. I'll happily take an excuse to jump back into this masterpiece of a game, though! I suppose my score should have been higher then if people were using exploits? Damn I'm awesome XD.

iDangerMouse_

iDangerMouse_ said:

I remember the first time I played this, I was awful but I was hooked. Glad to see couch co-op coming along.

Punkinhead145

Punkinhead145 said:

I'm greatly looking forward to this, and I'm certainly buying the Season Pass too! I just feel that the attribute editing of the ship editor would kind of mess up the balance of the scoring, then again everyone will just max out their ship :D

soracloud28

soracloud28 said:

Does anyone know when this will go live? Im a huge Resogun fan and have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of new content. Just wondering about the patch, not the dlc, i realize that doesnt launch until monday i believe.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

Awesome. I can't wait to try out the co op mode. Honestly for me that was the only downside to this game.

Mattym92

Mattym92 said:

Free local coop is a great addition, this will become something of a party game for me, impeccably fun so playing together should be just as good.

thedevilsjester

thedevilsjester said:

@glassmusic I love Resogun but Flower? I played a demo for about three minutes, no thanks! It felt more like interactive art than a game, not something I enjoy.