Mortal Kombat X Will Allow You to Finish Your Foe in 1080p on PS4

Kratos turned to stone

The resolution wars consuming the web these days are fiercer than the rivalry between Sub Zero and Scorpion, but you can rest safe in the knowledge that upcoming brawler Mortal Kombat X will run at 60 frames-per-second in 1080p. Creative director Ed Boon confirmed the tidbit on Twitter, adding that the title will employ NetherRealm Studios’ heavily customised iteration of Unreal Engine 3.

While he didn’t confirm system specifics, it’s safe to assume that the next-gen versions of the sequel – we’re including the Xbox One in that category, console warriors – will boast the above statistics. Presumably, the PlayStation 3 edition will run at a slightly less crisp resolution, which may actually be an advantage if you’re opposed to the odd smattering of gore.

Elsewhere, the industrious deviant admitted that God of War protagonist Kratos is unlikely to be making a return in the upcoming release. “He was awesome in Mortal Kombat, but we don’t want to repeat,” he told a fan. We doubt that there’ll be any exclusive characters this time around, but we’re trying to think of a different Sony star that would fit for fun. Hairy Heavenly Sword heroine Nariko, perhaps?

[via twitter.com, twitter.com]

adf86

adf86 said:

I wonder if they will have a horror character again like Freddy Kruger, I think maybe Pinhead?
Still I'm not bothered as long as you can play as Goro then I'm happy.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

I really wouldn't mind seeing Kratos return once more — I love the God of War games. He just needed a better second fatality than the one he has in MK9. The first one is glorious though.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

This shouldn't even be news, it should be a given in 2014 on the most powerful console that a game is 1080p and for 2D fighters and racing games especially, 60 fps is essential. Anyway, I'm really excited to get tons of info about the game very soon now. A PS exclusive character like they did with Kratos would be cool but obviously not that important in the long run. Interested who the two characters to be revealed are.

Demi_God

Demi_God said:

What about having Pyramid head from Silent Hill, he would make a pretty good addition to the MK universe.

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

The bad, happy to kill folk, version of either of the Infamous protagonists would work? I can see some nasty neon or concrete themed fatalities. I agree pyramid head would be amazing :) I'd buy the game just to be pyramid head.

THEundying27

THEundying27 said:

@WickedKnightAl maybe fulgore? It would somewhat fulfill the dream cross over of mk and ki.

I think sweet tooth would totally fit in mk. He can use a chainsaw for MASSIVE DAMAGE.

dok5555555

dok5555555 said:

I really wanted to get the last MK because i remembered enjoying the 2nd one a long time ago. But after watching videos of it it was just too disgusting for me. Id rather not see all that gore in so much detail. At least the originals were 8 bit (or 16 bit?) so it wasnt so bad because it was so fake.

BillyCannon

BillyCannon said:

Lol, Mortal Kombat 9 already was 1080p / 60fps on PS3 and Xbox360 right? This really isn't a big deal. I wouldn't be fist pumping this news, especially given alot of PS4 multiplats dropped fps dramtically compared to the Xbox One versions, which were far more stable and overall objectively more consistent and better. Just saying.