E3 2014: Suda 51's New PS4 Exclusive Let It Die Is Brutal and Bizarre

Posted by Kell Andersen

Speaking words of wisdom

Distinctive auteur Suda 51 is about as divisive as they come. Indeed, the luminary's games either cause intense adoration, or confused and bewildered disgust. And if this trailer for his new PlayStation 4 exclusive Let It Die is anything to go by, that trend isn't likely to be changing in the near future. The live action clip that debuted in Sony's E3 press conference today sees a group of oddly dressed men attacking each other with clubs and other blunt instruments.

There's not really any gameplay here, so we're not entirely sure of what to expect from the full experience. Instead, we're left attempting to come up with the sort of bizarre situations that Suda himself would think of, which is obviously proving to be a fool's errand. In all honesty. we're just hoping that the game won't feature a twisted reimagining of the classic Beatles song 'Let It Be'.

Are you an ardent Suda 51 Fan, or do his games give you the creeps? Go crazy in the comments section below.

[via youtube.com]

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I play a lot of ultra violent games but every once in a while one comes along that I don't think I'd be a fan of, this looked like one of those. What happened to that Lilly Bergamo game?

RaymanFan2

RaymanFan2 said:

I hope this isn't yet another Suda that's so OMGIMSOQUIRKY that I can't actually enjoy it.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Disgusting, vulgar, and offensive. Somethings wrong with the "mind" that thinks up this 'entertainment', the company that promotes this, even in a public worldwide press conference, the audience that applauds this garbage, and the person who derives entertainment from it.
Have people lost the ability to look objectively at what they are watching and say "Really, I want to put this in my head? Why?" Goichi Suda needs to be held accountable for this trash.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

It won't sell well. I really don't think the majority is going to go for this. I've never had much problem with Suda's games in the past because they seemed more so stupidly over the top to the point of parody, but yeah, I think the industry could do without this. Felt the same way about those Manhunt games Rockstar made.

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

Hypocrisy of violent video games strikes again. Mortal Kombat isn't vulgar and a TV show like Hannibal is tasteful. Get a grip guys.if you don't like it then don't play it.

Mrskinner

Mrskinner said:

Reminds me a lot of manhunt and i loved those games, so i am interested. Gaming should have something for everyone and I am a horror/slasher movie fan, not all games can or should be Disney like affairs. Why would anyone want a game to flop? Seems crazy to me. If you do not like it or it's content, move on and play something different. You don't need to hate on a game just because it isn't for you

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Mrskinner
Seems like it just up and disappeared, I'm hoping somebody from IGN or one of the other big outlets does a little digging this week, but that's doubtful.

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

@SimonAdebisi Totally with you there. It's incredible how people can stomach ultraviolence if it comes in the "right" package. Everytime something comes up that shows violence under an unappealing light, in a way that makes us cringe like violence SHOULD do, everyone goes oh no, they shouldn't be allowed to do that, that's offensive. Of course it's offensive, it's violence for Christ sake. If people want to be so rigtheous about it, be coherent enough to rant about shows/games that glorify violence as cool, awesome and artsy.

YT-WRIGHTY

YT-WRIGHTY said:

Seems like its a little dark this game I can take it or leave it games like this if it's got good Gameplay and maybe some online side to it then I will try it I can see lot ppl jumping on this for the gore and ending up with a bad game no structure no depth to story who knows we need to see more from it to be fair before we judge it fully

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

What sort of game is this? A fighter? I will judge when i see more gameplay. The ultra releastic violence was a bit to much for me.. I hate movies like saw so this is not a surprise:P

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Yes, Mortal Kombat is also disgusting. So is the recently announced Loadout. And yes, a show glorifying a cannibal is also offensive, and I'm disappointed in Mads for taking the role.

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

@ThreadShadow like it or not, violence is still part of humanity and nature is pure violence. Would you object to a game where you played as a leech, tapeworm, virus, cat, shark, whale, asteroid, volcano, supernova?

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

Manhunt goes competitive multiplayer in Suda51's hands?
Not my genre, but it's Suda, so hurray.
Also, that logo!

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

Sooo..violence is perfectly acceptable when its on a AAA game ie The Last of Us, but totally unacceptable when its a game from a niche creator a la Suda51? Ok. Ill keep that in mind.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@SimonAdebisi there's a big difference between nature's natural survival to devour to survive than humanitys maniacs that get off on killing just for pleasure. I seriously doubt a tape worm gets off on such behavior or any virus cat shark whale or whatever
The universe is a very violent and turbulent place but only humanity does it just for the hell of it

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

@LDXD cats play with their prey, leopard seals play catch with their prey, batting penguins into the air for fun, nature isn't all that nice, foxes often kill animals for fun. Humanity is the same, humanity and nature are the same thing.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@SimonAdebisi prey as in food as in a way to survive. Seals batting penguins into the air, they actually do that to wear them out first foxes are very territorial
Cats kill extremely quick and clean most of the time probably a lot better than I can with my rifle sad to say on my part
My house cat will play around with a mouse or a lizard with out drawing its claws out its just curiosity
An animal won't grow up to be a mass murderer but that little 2 year old kid running around can be the next Hitler
An animals prey= food a need for survival
A humans prey= torture a need to fill ones sick twisted desire also not necessary to survive
IMO animals act better than most humans

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

@LDXD all correct, animals can be cruel for fun, with humans it comes down to mental defects and broken human morality. I'm a pacifist but I still enjoy violent games.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@SimonAdebisi me too I like violent games and movies we are human after all but I think there's a point where I draw the line. Not sure what this game is all about yet because truthfully there isn't much we know about it yet
I do think parents need to be more aware of what kind of game their kids are playing last thing we need is another game being blamed for something senseless the media always twists things and I don't want to hear another fool on the news saying we should ban violent games I just think we need to be careful how we push that envelope

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

@LDXD Yeah on parents being more responsible, whenever some controversy about some kid being influenced by a game happens, people sue and bash the people who made them, but no one says anything about the parents who let their child play game, when it's really them who are at fault, espcially when it's blatantly obvious about what it is. Let's see now, it's called Manhunt, the cover has a serial killer on it that looks horrific, and it's rated M. What could possibly be suspicious about it and wrong with my child playing it.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Jaz007 you're exactly right they should know better. Sometimes though its not as obvious what content is in a game just from a name or cover. When my nephew was 11 he was playing cod and a few other mature rated games but at the same time his parents wouldn't even let him watch a pg-13 movie in my head I was thinking wtf? Do y'all not realize what's in this game? You need to read the rating not just get what's popular
I think some of the problem too is that gaming is so young but evolving so fast. I'm 35 when I started playing games it was pixles that you could hardly make out on Atari then soon after jumping on mushrooms and turtle shells. People who haven't kept up with gaming since then have no idea how games are and people a generation older than me never had a clue to begin with. Now that gaming is getting so mainstream we have people in the media who have never picked up a controller trying to convince parents that know nothing of games ouside of commercials that watch dogs teaches kids how to hack and cod teaches kids how to kill and the misinformed may believe this while the whole time the game wasn't intended for kids in the first place nor does it actually teach any of that. Just recently on my local news this woman was trying to convince people that ufc isn't a sport she went on about it for almost 15 minutes
IMO the media shouldn't talk about what they don't know seems like most the time they don't have a clue I'm speaking about here in the US don't know how bad it is elsewhere

odd69

odd69 said:

Well i'm not sure what i just saw, but you can count me as one of those people who applaud this "trash" or whatever.

Alpha

Alpha said:

@ThreadShadow You know... i aint gonna lie, i agree with you. some of his games though however i like cuz they are hilarious and i dont take them serious like Shadows of the dammned. i found that hilarious. bu tthis game... i find it too...... anti hype. i saw it and i was like.... "What the CENSORED WORD is this crap?" Sonys Press conference was alright but it was slow and no tas good as it could have been in my eyes. The ending was great though.