E3 2014: Sony Shoulders the Blame for The Last Guardian Rollercoaster

"We owe the fans," says Yoshida

The Last Guardian has been culled and resurrected more times than we’ve yawned over the past 48 hours, but Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida has reiterated categorically in an interview with Eurogamer.net that the title is still very much in production – it’s just not ready to be shown yet.

“There were a difficult couple of days before the show – I’m sure that you noticed,” the affable executive explained, referring to the controversy regarding IGN’s erroneous cancellation report. “I'm so happy that [the article] was retracted before the show happened.” As for an update on the title’s status, the buoyant boss merely reiterated that it’ll share new information when it’s ready.

“Lots of people tweeted me that they were heartbroken by that news [prior to the show]. People are going through this roller coaster of emotions, and it's our fault for not releasing the game yet,” he sighed. “We owe a lot to those people, but we really don't want to release piecemeal information until we can say that this is The Last Guardian – so we ask you to wait.”

The big question is: how much longer must we sit twiddling our thumbs, waiting for the iconic catbird to nudge its way back into our life? This editor was secretly confident that the long awaited exclusive would debut during this week’s show, but it looks like attention will now switch to GamesCom and the Tokyo Game Show. We can’t take much more.

[via eurogamer.net]

RaymanFan2

RaymanFan2 said:

There is absolutely no way it's on PS3 anymore now.
This E3 was the last hope for that.
PS4's all round!

Scollurio

Scollurio said:

Hmm. I personally don't get the hype around it, I'm late to the Playstation party, someone wants to file me in?

Mrskinner

Mrskinner said:

@Scollurio I am guessing because it is from the same team that released Shadow of the colossus and Ico, and they are amazing games to be honest.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Zelda U has a scheduled 2015 release but I still think this releases first :-)

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

I'm not sure the The Last Guardian can ever live up to the expectations around it...it's taken on near mythical status. If/when it is released it will be akin to getting up in the morning and seeing a unicorn standing in the middle of the living room with a leprechaun sitting on it's back tickling a hobgoblin with a feather. I hope it does finally end up being the game we all hope for it to be. Ico and Shadow of the collosus both had a beautiful style and simple charm.

Mrskinner

Mrskinner said:

@rjejr Haha not too sure about that. However, Zelda U actually has made me want to go get a Wii U. I grew up on Nintendo before the decline and switch to Playstation, but I think it's time for a second console again!

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Mrskinner - By the time Zelda U is out you'll probably be able to pick up a Wii U for $199. And I'll get my PS4 for $299 when TLG releases. I bought my Wii U for $349 about 2 weeks before the price drop was announced, won't happen again.

hydeks

hydeks said:

I figure itll be a PS5 or PS6 game the way their going ¬¬

Seriously Sony, wtf, get your act in gear and release this game!

Shellybird27

Shellybird27 said:

@hydeks I don't want them to release a game unpolished because of high demand. I want them to craft one of the best games of this new generation, and release it when it is ready.(I'll have to guess winter 2016.)

Chris1975

Chris1975 said:

@Shellybird27 The point being that this is a game that was supposed to be released for the last generation a very long time ago and here we are mid 2014 and it still isn't out.

We all know the trials and tribulations it has gone through but ffs give us a screenshot or a sneek peek trailer....give us anything other than re-iterating that is Is still coming.

-CraZed-

-CraZed- said:

@Scollurio If you have a chance to go back and play Shadow of the Colossus and/or Ico. That will tell you everything you need to know. Just keep in mind they were PS2 games.

Mrskinner

Mrskinner said:

@Alpha Yep, I think Nintendo actually had a really good show this year. I will be getting a Wii U as my second console to my PS4 now.