E3 2014: 90s PC Classic Grim Fandango Revamped for PS4 and Vita

Posted by Nicola Hayden

Back from the dead

The good old point-and-click adventure genre has been past its sell by date for a long time, excluding the recent revival of Broken Sword. This makes obtaining these gems of yore like collecting gold dust, leaving a generation robbed of this storytelling experience. One such title, 1998 PC classic Grim Fandango, is being excavated with its re-mastering exclusively for the PlayStation 4 and Vita. Developed by Double Fine of The Cave glory in collaboration with Disney Interactive, the search for a computer able to run this artifact finally ends.

Manuel Calavera is our beached white travel assistant, helping the recently deceased journey to the afterlife in the Land of the Dead. While being a good boy and eating all of your broccoli can land you a fast-track train ticket taking only four minutes, those more partial to the Grand Theft Auto thug life end up having to take this final quest by foot, adding on four years of travelling time. Using items and your puzzle solving ability, you'll help a lost soul journey to the next life in this film noir-inspired adventure.

Does this bring a blast from the past, or will this be your first time playing the adventure classic? Leave your memories in the comments section below.

Related Games

MatGrowcottStaff

MatGrowcott said:

This was the best news of the show for me. Anyone who played the original (and who knows how difficult it was until very recently to get it working on modern machines) has to appreciate not just a port, but a full-on remaster.

Disappointed that we didn't even get a screenshot. A character model would have gone a long way. It's hard to stay mad though.

Mrskinner

Mrskinner said:

Absolutely great news. Stated in the other post earlier this is a game I am hyped about. Classic game

NicolaHaydenStaff

NicolaHayden said:

This is one of the games I always wanted to play but never could. I'm excited to play it on my Vita.

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

I'm really out of the loop. I've never heard of this game, but it's popularity was obvious during the stream...

gbanas92Staff

gbanas92 said:

I was so surprised, but in the best possible way Sony broke this out. This has definitely got me excited!

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Oh yes! This was an amusing part of Sony's E3. I'm not interested in the game, but it was a funny reveal.

Beaston61

Beaston61 said:

WOW! This is the best news. I can't wait! What a game - I have not played this in ages.
As MatGrowcott mentioned, it is a pain to run on modern PC's - I recently tried and it resulted in one issue after another....
Can't wait to see some footage.
Now... just waiting for the Shenmue 3 reveal.... ;)

adf86

adf86 said:

This had me jumping up and down like a mad, the way they were teasing it on stage my mind was going "Oh please be Grim Fandango" I still have my PC copy when I dabbled in PC games back in the early 00's