Does This New Project Morpheus Trailer Sell You On Sony's Virtual Reality Headset?

Posted by Kell Andersen

It's incredible, apparently

Sony's virtual reality headset Project Morpheus may be a nifty piece of tech, but its value is incredibly hard to demonstrate. After all, there's nothing particularly exciting about watching someone with a clunky set of goggles strapped to their face wildly waving their arms about. It's the sort of thing that can only truly be appreciated once you yourself don the dapper device.

In an attempt to solve this problem. the firm has released this short video showing off the 'Faces of Morpheus.' The trailer sees several E3 attendees seemingly having a riotous time as the explore virtual worlds. In truth, the clip still doesn't do a tremendously good job of showing off the device's appeal, but it is nice to see the Japanese giant exert some marketing muscle.

Has this video sold you on Project Morpheus, or are you still waiting to get your hands on one? Strap on your goggles in the comments section below.

[via youtube.com]

tonyp1987

tonyp1987 said:

@N711 I agree no man shy would be cool with this but also I think gravity rush would be cool also or even tomb raider, uncharted,need for speed,gta games or even jrpgs would be interesting to see

bbq_boy

bbq_boy said:

I'm buzzing with the idea of total immersion in a game, even for watching movies. I mean VR is like viewing something with the ability of a 200 foot X 200 foot screen - it's out of this world!! However warning bells tell me that if occulus rift sell their headsets for £99 then Sony need to price accordingly. If morpheus isn't under £150 magic mark I can't see it taking off. Like my gramps use to say 'you can swagger all you like with your posh 5 star restaurant, but if the prices are sky high no one's gonna try it.' Get the price affordable to masses and let the word of mouth spread the morpheus. When demand is high then increase the price or sell morpheus 2 lighter models, etc. I've seen 3DS XL go up in price by around £20 in last 4 months!!

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

It's a gimmick, motion sickness, foggy glasses, etc etc, and yes I will be completely incapable of stopping myself from buying it. Just a hardware whore I guess.

dgwdum

dgwdum said:

If sony wants this to be a hit and improve sales in japan then it only needs to make a single game. SAO. make that and it will move ps4's faster than It can put then on the shelves.

Dodoo

Dodoo said:

Not sure this is for me tbh though I'll reserve judgement until I've tried it and seen what prices, support and games are like...

Mattym92

Mattym92 said:

I'm game for it as long as the price is in the right range, after spending £430 on my console bundle I dont have loads lying around for more bits.

eLarkos

eLarkos said:

Super psyched for VR. I absolutely love 3D, way more than anyone else I know, so im pumped for VR.

BTW, what does "Strap on your goggles in the comments section below" even mean??

k_andersenStaff

k_andersen said:

@eLarkos Hahahaha, good question! I'm always looking for snappy ways to ask for comments, because I get sick of constantly saying "Let us know in the comments section below." - I guess I went a little obscure this time, though :P

thedevilsjester

thedevilsjester said:

I don't generally like first person perspective games, so I think I will pass on the whole semi-VR thing. I may take it for a spin with an interesting game or two, but it does not have me excited in the least bit. Wake me up when we actually get fully submersive (head to toe!) VR.

Being a Sony fanboy though, I hope they do well in the market.

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

Nope. Because any sense of immersion is removed by the weight constantly hanging off the front of your face. These things will only work - for me at least - when they weigh no more than a standard pair of glasses.

-CraZed-

-CraZed- said:

@Ginkgo There have been great strides with regards to limiting motion sickness with these new headsets. Sure it'll be a problem for some but when they finally get these right I think it will affect a small minority of players.

iDangerMouse_

iDangerMouse_ said:

I think that the Virtual Reality Headset would be pretty nifty for racing simulators. For example, being able to look at your apex's or to look right or left if someone's trying to overtake you. I think that would be pretty cool, in my opinion, of course.

Angrod

Angrod said:

@dgwdum I agree if they made SAO the market in the Japan would go sky high plus I'd love to see an SAO game.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

@-CraZed- I would love to know what they have come up with to improve motion sickness, because it is a natural reaction of the human brain.

It is actually the reverse of motion sickness, where you feel the motion, but cannot see it (hence told to look out the window with car sickness). Here, you see the motion but the inner ear cannot feel it. Not sure how you stop that, except avoiding games with fast motion. Don't expect a racing Morpheus game any time soon.

From my Oculus trial I didn't suffer badly at all, but it is never complete "comfortable". It is probably something you get used to over time.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I'm excited to experience VR, but cautiously.

I'm not sure how viable it will be for different games. Might turn out to only be fun for limited types of games. Might turn out to be awesome for 15 minutes then you get tired of it. Might turn out to underwhelm. Or it might turn out to be the best thing since sliced bread. So Idk.

It really is one of those things where I'd have to try several different games for extended periods of time using VR goggles before coming to any definitive conclusions. But I'm hoping it's awesome. I want it to be.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

The unit looks so awkward in that picture there, but I suppose it's form is made for quick and easy 'ingress-egress'.

First-person is interesting, but the idea of Third-person perspective sounds really fun.

Blink007

Blink007 said:

I'm a massive fan of this prototype and I eagerly await for when it's finalised as the finished product. It's a great future for gamers and developers alike and I would love to have this with online games like ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE (ESO), but thats my anime nerd side coming out with loving Sword Art Online :-) but a guy can only hope & dream :-D