The New PlayStation Vita Slim Will Hit Aussie Shelves On 4th June

Posted by Kell Andersen

Slim down

The end times are here for Australian gamers. That's right, Sony's latest revision of the PlayStation Vita will be available in the Land Down Under on 4th June. The redesigned portable is significantly smaller that its older sibling, but ditches the notoriously lush OLED screen. Shipping with 1 GB of internal memory, the Aussie version will set you back a cool $269.95.

To be honest, we're not huge fans of the new hardware here at Push Square, particularly that bewilderingly high price point. As we said in our review, it feels like a bit of a step back from the original model. So, in other words, get thee to a video game retailer, as the undisputedly superior SKU will soon be disappearing off store shelves.

Will you be picking up the new slim Vita, or is your original portable still going strong? Give us a shout in the comments section below.

[via polygon.com]

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

The current models are selling for $269.95, so basically they are not changing the price point at all. Lucky I already have mine! And I have convinced 3 friends to get one as well, so I have done my bit. ;-)

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

I got a fatty in 2012 and I don't wanna replace it until it somehow breaks, god forbid. I was playing LBP at a park yesterday at 3:00pm while it was 106 F out and the OLED looked outstanding even in such strong sunlight. Can't help but think the new screen wouldn't be usable in that situation

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@Ginkgo Be thankful Sony tried to sell the Slim in the UK for more then the OLED model which didn't last long mind you.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

@Jazzer94 haha. Why am I not surprised. I just have to remember that the 3G version retailed for $439 here when it first came out. Add a memory card and it was $500 before you even bought a game. Unsurprisingly it didn't sell well.
So current pricing isn't so bad really. I should not complain.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@Ginkgo Yeah it was £229.99 at launch for the WiFi model here in the UK the 3G was £279.99 which is why I waited and got that Tearaway/Little Big Planet 16GB memory card bundle (only in the UK) for £150.

Edit: The rrp now is £180 I think but most places are selling for around £150-160 which was the price the OLED model was going for before it was discontinued.