Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue 26

Posted by Katy Ellis

This little light of mine...

... I'm gonna let it shine. Oh, sorry about that, we didn't see you there. Ahem. It's time for another 'What Are You Playing This Weekend', in which the majority of the team will be delving into a little game that our very own Mat Growcott described in his review as a "painted paradise". But what does this Bank Holiday break have in store for the rest of us? Read on, find out, and share your gaming plans in the comments section below.

Sammy Barker, Editor

I’ve been yearning for the first-person frolics of Call of Duty: Ghosts for some time now, so I’m eager to actually get started on that this week. First, I’ll need to see off the final boss in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, but seeing as I’m something of a master of the High Frequency Blade, that shouldn’t cause too many problems. I’m also really eager to punch my way back into Tekken Tag Tournament 2 – after all, watching a kangaroo kick a panda for fun is definitely my idea of entertainment.

Robert Ramsey, Associate Editor

Having never been one to shy away from a decent challenge, I'll be desperately trying to complete not one, not two, but three games over the course of this weekend. BioShock Infinite, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, and Muramasa: Rebirth are all on the list of titles that I need to beat before review duty kicks in again. It's sure to be 48 hours of gaming goodness, then – or at least it would be, had one of my DualShock 3s not started to do that weird thing where it secretes a strange liquid around the analog sticks. Ew.

Katy Ellis, Assistant Editor

Level grinding and weapon upgrading will make up the majority of my weekend, all conducted in a mad frenzy in order to destroy a few more demons in the first-person dungeon crawler Demon Gaze. It can be hellishly difficult at times, so when I'm not feeling up to the challenge, I may stamp a few more tickets in Papers, Please. My Arstotzkavian family may be sick, hungry, and generally dying, but at least I'm taking as much of a political stand as a border control officer can, right?

Ben Potter, Video Editor

It's that time of the month again where I'm obligated to plough my way through some of the less deserving titles in my backlog. Games including Lair, Kane and Lynch, Def Jam: Icon, and Medieval Moves are all due for a spin this weekend, but should I not make it out alive, you know what you must do. Hint: send me better games.

Jamie O’Neill, Retro Editor

I'm looking forward to wandering through the Kingdom of Lemuria’s luscious watercolour landscape. I've already scrutinised the art-book and the dramatic poster designed by Yoshitaka Amano that I received with the Child of Light: Deluxe Edition on the PS4, but I'm eager to see the latest UbiArt Framework game running in motion. Alas, I don’t want to rush my first playthrough, so I’ll possibly wait until after a weekend spent revisiting retro coin-ops at the Play Blackpool Expo.

Brett Young, News Reporter

Two games occupying opposite ends of the colour spectrum will characterise my gaming this weekend: the vivid strokes of Child of Light will be a stark juxtaposition to the oppressive hues of Daylight. I can feel my eyes hurting already.

Edwin Garcia, News Reporter

Sony is finally posting sales that may just rival those on Steam. Well, not really – but they are nice nonetheless. During this week's flash sale, I finally picked up Chrono Trigger, which I am sad to report that I never got to play the first time around. This weekend will be dedicated to putting as much time as I possibly can into this beloved RPG on my Vita.

Kell Anderson, News Reporter

My weekend is going to be spent floating through the gorgeous land of Lemuria as I attempt to stretch my playthrough of Child of Light for as long as possible. When I'm not doing that, I'll probably be hunched over my Vita playing No Heroes Allowed: No Puzzles Either, which I unfortunately have developed an unhealthy addiction to.

Nicola Hayden, News Reporter

With a broken shoulder, my game plans for the next month have been shaken, not stirred. Mere flesh wounds, however, will not hold me back – especially with all of our readers’ helpful recommendations on the forums. Will I finish nabbing all of the Trophies in Destiny of Spirits, solve a murder in Broken Sword 5, or maybe venture into uncharted territory with Football Manager Classic 2014?

Graham Banas, Reviewer

I've got a load of games in my backlog, and I just can't seem to diminish the number. The solution? I'll play some new games! I really want to check out Stick It to the Man, as well as give Rocksmith 2014 Edition a whirl.

Simon Fitzgerald, Reviewer

This weekend, I will be hard at work with revision for my exams in two weeks. Whenever I get a break, though, I’ll be loading up Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry, as I snapped it up for a bargain in a recent PSN sale. I will also be mashing together some cool video clips in the SHAREfactory on PS4.

Will you be skipping through Ubisoft’s latest artsy adventure this weekend? Whatever you're up to, we want to hear about it, so do remember to drop us a line in the comments section below.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

finishing off ACIV on PS4 and Dust on 360 it was free this month and is a lot of fun

might mes around on Zelda Wind Waker HD too

also tomorrow I'll play a load of Star Wars games because it's May 4th Star Wars day

hydeks

hydeks said:

Star Ocean The Last Hope on PS3
Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross on Vita (playing both for the first time too!)

For Star Wars Day, Ill be playing Rogue Squadron on N64 :-)

seeafish

seeafish said:

Playing Muramasa: Rebirth. What a surprisingly good game that is.
I also just bought sound shapes, which is fantastic. Adding in some Stick it to the Man, and I'm in indie heaven.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I'll be playing Jedi Knight: Jedi Acadamy, Prince of Persia (the roboot), and maybe run around in Second Son some more. That game never seems to run out of replay value for me. Tomorrow I might play some more Thomas was Alone. Very interesting title. Never played anything like it.
I'd also like to say that Lair is a decent game, that it worth a playthrough. (And not as a bad game.)

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

@hydeks chrono trigger is an amazing snes game. Have fun!

I've been playing ffx hd even though I should finish knack before my gamefly runs out. I just really like ffx and had been waiting to play it again.

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine! (Just sang that last Sunday)

I've been playing Child of Light almost every chance I get. When I want a break, though, I've been playing Project M and Naruto Clash of Ninja Revolution 3 on my Wii. Also just started Vagrant Story last night, so I guess that counts!

Dohv

Dohv said:

On my PS4 I'll just be playing Outlast and maybe a couple of rounds on Killzone Shadow Fall. I still haven't beaten Outlast, its a pretty scary game. I know the DLC is releasing soon, so I'll try to give it another go tonight.

But next week will be awesome, that's when the PS Vita Slim Borderlands 2 bundle releases. Can't wait for that.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Well, I JUST finished beating Final Fantasy X HD on Vita last night. I'd been playing that game for a couple weeks now. Onward and upward, as they say:

3DS: Mario Golf World Tour.....Kirby Triple Deluxe
Vita: Final Fantasy X-2 HD
Wii U: Child of Light
PS4: Trials Fusion
Wii: Xenoblade Chronicles

DrJoeystein

DrJoeystein said:

It's all BioShock for me this weekend! I've been meaning to play that game for such a long time. I'm hoping to finish it within a week.

Mrskinner

Mrskinner said:

Made the mistake of starting amazing Spider-Man 2. The game feels broken and unfinished, but the traversal by web is fun! Apart from that I need to get around to playing hotline Miami on my vita

Splat

Splat said:

Ni No Kuni and a little bit of Soul Calibur: Lost Swords when the servers allow me to play. Mainly just Ni No Kuni though. It's awesome...

blindndeaf

blindndeaf said:

playing a bit of mixed stuff dc universe but thats getting a bit boreing now but the puppeteer on the three is not too bad glad i kept the three as not much on the four but i have ordered wolfinstien a new order and will play that when its released not been impressed at all with the indie games

AFCC

AFCC said:

FIFA Street, old PS3 goodie :D
A little of Child of Light (don't want to rush that gorgeous game).
Some rounds of Exctintion and Team Deathmatch in the COD Demo for the PS4...
A tiny little of Dragon's Dogma and...I think that's all!

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

After 3 weeks of messing me around SE finally managed to sort out my login issues,to FFXIV, so that where I'm headed. Also a bit of NiNoKuNi with my daughter, which I picked up in the recent Easter sale.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

On PS4 I am trying to 100% Lego Marvel. I finished the story mode and got almost everything in NYC now I just need to do Free Play on the levels.

On Xbox 360 I finally manged to get Dust due there free with gold promotion so I think I might be playing some of that.

blindndeaf

blindndeaf said:

does anyone now about the glitches in nightfall cod? its been happening since the last download???

ToOGoodOfAPlaya

ToOGoodOfAPlaya said:

BF4, with loads of Second Son.
Picked it up on Tuesday last week and it has to be the most fun game I have played this year!
The powers just never get boring!
Might also throw in some AC4 too.

odd69

odd69 said:

child of light demo(PS4). Metroid Fusion (WiiU), Aracania(PS3), Red Faction Armageddon (PS3), and yoshi's island (WiiU)

Rapidaz

Rapidaz said:

CALL OF DUTY 4 : Modern Warfare :) still the best cod ever made ! Really really hope they bring a anniversary remake , don't mess with the gameplay , don't add anything , just better graphics

ToddlerNaruto

ToddlerNaruto said:

I've been playing Spider-Man: Web of Shadows (PS3), while trying to get myself to go back to playing Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 1 (PS3).

artemisthemp

artemisthemp said:

I was planing to play some Child of Light but I, sadly got hit by No Sound with Share issue and is now waiting for a fix

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

Sly 3 on Vita. Going through the trilogy and still wishing there was an option to shut everybody up. The games are good fun (bar the second, that is dreadful) but I don't want to have to constantly watch unskippable cutscenes with characters I find so unlikeable I want to punch the Vita every time they talk for an hour before/during a level.

If I can finish it off today I may start Yakuza Ishin or return to Miku-chan with Project Diva f.

Gemuarto

Gemuarto said:

Hey, guys, is your site alright? O___O.... I see only basic form of it. Without CSS or don't know how to call that thing. And news don't update.