Hit Series Tie-In Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment is Coming West for the Summer

Posted by Nicola Hayden

Inception

While we're no stranger to anime themed titles on PlayStation consoles with Dragon Ball and Naruto making almost yearly visits, it's rare for any but the big names to come and play. But thanks to its overwhelming popularity, Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment, a PlayStation Vita tie-in of the worldwide smash hit, will be swinging its blade in July in Europe, while a North American release is set for sometime this summer.

Based upon the original story, players of the latest virtual reality MMO find themselves caged inside the game with no way to log out. They soon discover that their only hope of returning to reality is, of course, to defeat the enemies lurking inside of dungeons and complete the game. There is a catch, though, as death in the virtual world costs your life in reality – and to think that we thought it was bad enough when you simply lost experience points. With RPG action and a fully fledged cast of cameos ready to join your party, the release should be a must have for any fan. To top it all off, also included is a HD upgrade of the PlayStation Portable title Sword Art Infinity Moment, which never released outside of Japan.

This may not be the last niche title that we'll be seeing either, according to Herve Hoerdt, Vice President of IP Strategy at Bandai Namco Games Europe. “Fans were looking forward to enjoy this game, we listened to them. Our close collaboration with Sony allows us to release more and more niche games; Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment is the result of this successful partnership,” the representative wrote in the RPG's latest press release. Are you ready to play a game within a game? What other titles would you like to benefit from this new partnership? Leave your requests in the comments section below.

SuperSilverback

SuperSilverback said:

Was just thinking to myself why this news wasnt on pushsquare yet. Cant wait for this game! Loved the anime!

SimonAdebisi

SimonAdebisi said:

Not sure if I'll end up enjoying this or not but you never can have enough RPG titles, especially for vita.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

If the game offers enough freedom in quests and story, I will be very interested.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Wait, it includes the PSP game as well?
I'm so happy to be a Vita owner now.
What I'm not happy about is that Sony still hasn't brought the 64 GB cards over. Also the prices of the cards overall.

Now if only Bammy would release God Eater 2 over here. Unless, of course, they're making a Burst version and are waiting to release that.

ErnisDy

ErnisDy said:

@AVahne you can buy 64gb card on amazon. But ppl say its slower.

I hope this game is good, really interested. Need more of this on vita, not shooters that plays and looks better on pc.

bbq_boy

bbq_boy said:

Loved the SAO animes. Day 1 purchase for me and looking forward to the co-op adventure.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@ErnisDy
I know, but I want to wait for an American release, because I want to use my Sony Rewards points to shave off a huge chunk of the price.

razorgimpy

razorgimpy said:

yes there are video's on youtube bout it as its already released in japan
which show its not turned based as the previoes game was