Ever Wondered What Duke Nukem Would Look Like as a Girl?

Not like Courtney Love

Duke Nukem maker 3D Realms may have run out of gum following the franchise’s acquisition by Borderlands creator Gearbox Software, but that’s not stopping it from teaming up with Danish developer Interceptor in order to create a new property styled out of the iconic anti-hero’s hair gel. Bombshell is a fresh PlayStation 4 action RPG due out early next year, and appears to feature the female equivalent of the aforementioned star.

Details are scarce, but the rough-around-the-edges trailer embedded below introduces you to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo-esque lead. She appears to be some kind of cyborg with a late 90s walking animation, which doesn’t exactly bode well for the full release. Nevertheless, the game’s still got some way to go before it's completed, so this could still turn out decent. Judging by that footage, though, we’re not holding our breath.

[via eurogamer.net]

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

I'm not even sure if that horrid animation is supposed to be intentionally awful or not, but its almost insulting to see at this day and age.

@fchinaski I agree. If the game's not finished yet, why release this trailer at all? Just wait until you've got something better to show.

3rdEyeMind

3rdEyeMind said:

This is a top-down, action RPG and you can find in-game screens on the games official website http://www.nogumneeded.com/ and they look glorious. I believe this teaser was done with the 2003 Duke Nukem Forever teaser in mind to parody.

Also, Interceptor Entertainment is an independent studio, not a AAA studio.

This game is the Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction game re-skinned.

It aims to be old-school, bark back to a time when games were hardcore, etc, etc.

Interestingly, PS4 is the only console you'll find this on.

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

As @3rdEyeMind said, I agree it's a parody of the 2003 Duke teaser...and thus I hope that the awful animation was intentionally cringeworthy.

I love me some good, old isometric 3D twin stick action. Even better if there's some RPG elements in the mix, but the screens on the official website didn't do much for me. Looks underwhelming. I will keep an eye on this because I love the genre in general, but until I read some raving reviews that sway my mind, my money is on Helldivers, which looks much better and seems to scratch the isometric action-RPG-itch as well.

EyeDeeNO76

EyeDeeNO76 said:

“no fate but what we make” The metal hand, shotgun and the bike all make me think of Terminator 2.

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

@3rdEyeMind @Reverend_Skeeve I also totally get it's a parody, but in my book it doesn't give them free rein to make it look awful. Neither this, nor the fact that their are not a AAA studio. But anyway, let's hope the game will be good in the end.

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

@fchinaski Totally agree with you, man. :) That's why I hope the trashy look of the trailer is intentional. Not that it would make me want the game more if it was, but... ;)

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Horrible haircut.

I'm laughing pretty hard at this chick, she's cruisin' Ghost Rider style with a cyborg arm and... oh dear, that hair is just aweful