Who Would Win Wednesdays: Alduin vs. Bahamut

Posted by Robert Ramsey

Round 11

We're now so far into Who Wins Wednesdays that we've had to start using numbers when it comes to typing out the tagline. We've had ten features leading up to today's duel, with the last battle ending up as a win for everyone's favourite alien, Garrus Vakarian. In an attempt to keep things feeling fresh, we're going to move away from gun toting combatants this week, and bring you a brawl that boasts giant monsters – after all, who doesn't like giant monsters? As always, take a look at the information that we've provided on each fighter, and decide on your winner in our poll.

Alduin

Swooping down the from the picturesque sky and laying waste to the snowy land of Skyrim, the great black dragon Alduin is The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim's main antagonist. When he's not busy resurrecting his dead brethren, he's burning villages and using Sovngarde – the Nord's heavenly realm – as an all-you-can-eat buffet. Devouring the souls of the fallen serves to make this God-like beast more powerful, with the Dragonborn being the only warrior able to fully bring about his demise. As a dragon, Alduin commands a mastery of the voice, allowing him to spew intense fire from his gob – as you'd expect from a legendary lizard. He's also got a bit of a sick obsession with picking up guards with his claws and dropping them from ridiculous heights – ragdoll physics be damned.

Bahamut

First appearing in the original Final Fantasy, Bahamut is a series regular and a fan favourite summon. Usually a go-to entity of destruction when things get rough, the deadly dragon employs a technique known as mega flare, which bathes the opposition in divine flame. Of course, the only downside is that Bahamut tends to be a powerful late-game addition to the party, which we suppose just goes to show how destructive this mythical overgrown lizard must be. Regardless of when you're able to conjure him, though, Bahamut proves to be a glorious spectacle, usually sporting huge wings, a menacing stance, and a supremely confident outlook. He's had many incarnations over the years, but we can't see this old reptile giving up the fight against evil any time soon.

This week it's a fight of fire against fire, but which winged warrior would have their ashes swept off the field of battle? Vote for your winner in our poll, and tell us how you think the battle would unfold in the comments section below.

Who do you think would win this Wednesday? (28 votes)

Alduin

29%

Bahamut

71%

Please login to vote in this poll.

[ Thanks to LordBagardo for the header image ]

Related Games

Love this week's image, @LordBagardo. I voted for Alduin as I remember him being particularly sinister in Skyrim. You wouldn't want to meet either down a dark alley, though, would you?

NicolaHaydenStaff

NicolaHayden said:

I would say Bahamut but now I am only wondering which incarnation of Bahamut would win.

rjejr

rjejr said:

The first time seeing Bahamuts arrival in FF7 is one of my fondest videogame memories. Hes up there w/ Smaug (the 70s cartoon not last years CG bungling embarrassment) and Ghidorahs materialization from the meteor in The 3 Headed Monster.

I dont know who Anduin is, and nobody else would either after these 2 met.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

I guess having memorable characters isn't one of Skyrim's strong points.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@Splat Very true!

We've actually contemplated doing a battle that featured the Dragonborn, but player characters are tough since they can specialise in numerous different styles of combat.

Would anyone like to see fights that include player characters?

AVahne

AVahne said:

Bahamut of course. A WYVERN like Alduin simply can't compete.
It's like putting a Rathalos or Espinas up against a Fatalis.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@ShogunRok M'aiq the Liar? Umbra? Sheogorath and every other daedric prince? House Hlaalu? There are a few intentionally memorable and omnipresent (title-wise) characters, that's all :)
Why not have PCs involved?
SPOILER
Unless you wanna do Diablo or MGS heh

DrJoeystein

DrJoeystein said:

I'm going to go with Alduin just because of how awesomely evil he was in Skyrim. Judging from the comments, I think this match would be closer than everyone thinks! :) Since he's a master of the Thu'um and eats the souls of the dead (which is kind of cool if you ask me :P), he could be a match for Bahamut.

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

Bahamut can shoot energy beams from space, transcend the Farplane and change the entire geography of Eorzea - bringing down an entire moon in the process - changing the realm forever. Alduin can be brought down by a booming supersonic voice. I think it's obvious who the winner is here.

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

Bahamut would win. I never liked how feared Alduin was in in Skyrim, he was such a pushover that the first time I fought him I just let my companions solo him while I watched.

LordBagardo

LordBagardo said:

Algorithm differences aside, if these two reptilian badasses were to duke it out, I think it'd be a pretty close fight. Bahamut would be summoning gigantic meteors from the sky, sure, but Alduin would hold the element of surprise once he started flying backwards and breathing fire out of his behind.

My vote's going on Alduin out of assumption that he'll glitch halfway through the fight and somehow become invincible. (Also, thank you kindly @get2sammyb)