What's Next for Prince of Persia? Ubisoft Doesn't Want You to Know Yet

A princely error

French publisher Ubisoft couldn’t keep a secret if its entire corporate future depended on it, so it’s not exactly surprising to see the organisation squirming over an errant tweet from one of its employees. Ubisoft Reflections engineer Drew James posted a message teasing a new Prince of Persia title overnight, but his entire account has since been pulled.

The public correspondence included an image of multiple incarnations of the exotic property’s protagonist, concluding with a question mark. The worker foolishly copied various high profile executives in to the message, including Ubisoft Toronto boss Jade Raymond. We’re guessing that he’s spent the day on gaffer Yves Guillemot’s naughty step thus far.

The timing of the tweet is particularly poor for the publisher, as a recent slew of rumours suggested that there actually is a new Prince of Persia in production, and it’s being built using Rayman Legends’ gorgeous UbiArt engine. Apparently, the title will be 2D, but the hero will be animated in a way that makes him look 3D, which sounds like an interesting approach.

The last major entry in the franchise was Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, which is almost four years old now. However, the company has always maintained that the climbing king-to-be will make a comeback when the time is right, so don’t be surprised if an official announcement is made soon. Are you eager to see the series return to its roots? Stop the clocks in the comments section below.

[via eurogamer.net]

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

"Apparently, the title will be 2D, but the hero will be animated in a way that makes him look 3D"

I was mid-squeal until I got to this part. I'm not a big 2D fan, so my hype flew out the window before it developed.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Sounds like its going to be a Ubiart game from the sound of it. I'm guessing its going to be one of the things showed off at their E3 press conference.

k_andersenStaff

k_andersen said:

I absolutely adore the UbiArt engine, and I'm ecstatic that Ubisoft seems to be starting to take advantage of it a little more.

Holydiver85

Holydiver85 said:

If this is in the vein of Stryker and some of the other 2.5D games as they seem to have been dubbed then I'm ecstatic. My favourites were always games like contra and castlevania growing up. So if I can play a game that feels like that but looks brand new youve secured a purchase.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I'm not really interested. I would like a new 3D PoP, but a 2D doesn't interest me that much. This reminds, I still need to pay the PS3 PoP reboot I picked up for about 3 bucks.

RaymanFan2

RaymanFan2 said:

They should take a risk and release an assassin's-creed-ified Prince of Persia game instead of next year's Ass Creed vanilla game.

tabris95

tabris95 said:

Am I the only one who feels that the subtitle to the headline should have read "Fresh Prince?" ? :P