The Last of Us PS4 Will Boast Enhanced Lighting and Some Gameplay Improvements

Click click boom

How do you improve upon the best game of 2013? Throwing more powerful hardware at it certainly helps, which is exactly what Sony’s doing with The Last of Us Remastered – the strongly rumoured [And now confirmed - Ed] next-gen re-release of Naughty Dog’s survival horror opus. While there’s still no official statement from the platform holder [There is now, honest - Ed], it seems that the company’s getting ready to reveal the title [Uh-huh - Ed], as Amazon has just posted its pre-order page for the overhauled adventure.

In addition to the title’s official box art, the product listing also includes some information about the port itself. “Winner of over 200 Game of the Year awards, The Last of Us has been rebuilt for the PlayStation 4 system,” the blurb reads. “[The game now features true] 1080p output, higher resolution character models, improved shadows and lighting, in addition to several other gameplay improvements.”

The package will cost $59.99 as leaked earlier today, but will ship with two multiplayer map packs, in addition to the Left Behind expansion that captivated us earlier in the year. The product page is currently carrying a 31st December release date, which looks like a placeholder, so expect an official launch window to be announced in the future. A summer arrival is expected, following comments made by a Turkish PlayStation executive.

Update 1: At last, Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida has officially confirmed the title on Twitter. "SCEA can confirm The Last of Us Remastered is coming to the PS4, and we'll be sharing more details with you shortly," he wrote.

Update 2: According to the PlayStation Blog, the re-release will deploy this summer.

[via amazon.com]

@GRIFFEN14 It sounds like it's going to be a decent upgrade. The Amazon page says that the game has been "rebuilt" for next-gen. I'm sure it's going to look great.

N711

N711 said:

I must say I can't wait to see some footage. Gameplay improvement may just mean the use of DS4 controls though

Midzark

Midzark said:

Why are all the good games not coming out till near end of the year! It's like the PS4 should have been released end of this year not last year! Lol

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@THEundying27 Aye, a great year to get most of the best games cheap as they're all ports so you can get them on last gen machines.

If they're going to keep up with this crap at least do it with game less than a year old (cash grab ahoy). Does it have to be this game? Why not, say, Heavy Rain? Can't wait until the last quarter of the year where there's actually something to play on PS4. Very expensive paperweight at the moment.

TheWightMonk

TheWightMonk said:

Re-make after re-make.....enough already, don't get me wrong, it IS an amazing game but I played it when it was originally released, if people wanna do remakes (and properly remastered) do games from the psx FF VII anyone? (Like was teased on the ps3 %-)

N711

N711 said:

I think remake are great for people who didn't play it before. Its just an addition I don't think you d have significantly more new games if they were not done as they take way longer to make. Really no need to be negative about it IMO and this one really makes sense as an iconic game of last gen.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@N711 @TheWightMonk @rastamadeus Would you buy it if you could upgrade your digital copy for cheap? I definitely would pay $9.99 for upscaled res and next-gen lighting effects, especially if I can keep my dlc (isn't there more coming out or something?)

N711

N711 said:

@charlesnarles definitely as I didn't play the dlc and I think its included but I doubt it happens. Ill probably get it when cheaper. Though

goonow

goonow said:

@get2sammyb rebuilt? Sounds interesting. I hope its more than just better lighting and resolution. Maybe next gen character models like in tomb raider? I am deffinatly getting it either way, though.

Knux

Knux said:

So glad that I passed on the PS3 version. This will likely be one of my first games to play when I buy my PS4. :D

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

The gameplay was already fantastic, so I wonder how they'll improve on it. Can you just imagine Joel's glorious beard in 1080p? My beard is all tingly now.

ToddlerNaruto

ToddlerNaruto said:

Does this news kill any chance of Naughty Dog releasing a The Last of Us Complete Edition or Game of the Year Edition for PS3?

I doubt I’ll own a PS4 until January 2015 at the earliest, since I still have 50+ PS3 games to buy on my wish list.

Epic

Epic said:

I'm happy with my first playthrough and think it will be enough for now.
Prettier graphics and some commentary won't make me pay 60$ for the same game xD.

T7L3R

T7L3R said:

I've already preordered it...I never got to finish it since the ps3 I had fried and I decided on getting a ps4 instead of another ps3. So pumped for this! I can see how some people are upset about ports but that's just what u get with a new console...ports are an easy way for developers to test the waters and get familiar with the new consoles architecture.

bbq_boy

bbq_boy said:

Hmm.... at that price it's pretty steep. I only finished 50% and then had to stop due to work build up. But if they offered everything currently on ps3 and two a brand new dlc plus 10% of any PSN game then it'll be a definite buy for me!!

Carl-G

Carl-G said:

Never found a problem with the PS3 version. Gameplay was cool etc etc But then again i don't look for any old meaningless problems in games so i can moan about them online :D

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@charlesnarles No. The gameplay was as bland as Keira Knightley's face and I won't be going back to it whether it costs full price, cheap or is free. A cheap upgradable option would be a good idea for people who have it and want it again though. Just not for me.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I honestly didn't think the PS4's first year was going to be as bad as Wii U's but I was completely wrong. At least at the end of 2013 Wii U had Super Mario 3D World. We'll see what Sony has lined up but right now, just terrible. inFamous was great other than that, it's just damn port after port of games that don't need it. Looks like the only system getting a summer release worth a sh*t is 3DS with Smash Bros. Mario Kart 8 is very late spring so that'll be good for the dry months too. E3 has to be good for Sony though, it's great that the PS4 is selling now reward the people who bought the machine.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

@get2sammyb what does it mean when someone puts ed? Like when you wrote [And now confirmed - Ed] i used to see it all the time in n64 mags and just thought it was one of the writers names lol.

On topic though I can't wait for this I will be donating my ps3 version to a friend. I wonder if they will swap the L1 and R1 with L2 and R2 and if Europe's multiplayer is still going to be censored and if it counts as a separate platinum trophy. I also hope this will cut down on crappy teammates that don't bother reviving or you revive only for them to repay you by knicking your execution.
The Last Of Us is so freaking awesome though this remastered version will be beautiful.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

@rastamadeus Why so negative about more content? The more the better I say. Yes I want more new IP AAA too (no really I do) but happy that there is other content coming as well, indies, ports etc. Its all good.

Clearly decisions on which game to port are financial. With so many 360 players switching to PS4 this generation, there would be a large number of people excited about this who have not played the game. They do it, if they think it will sell. This will sell.

Personally, I know two 360 owners who have switched to PS4 this gen because of naughty dog and their exclusives, LTOU being chief among them. So for me, bring it on.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Gamer83
To the PS4's credit, Infamous was a very worthy exclusive imo.

Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros 3DS and Last of Us PS4. Looks like it's gonna be a pretty nice summer indeed. All we're missing is a good Vita release to top it off.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@get2sammyb
In all fairness, every PS4 port is listed as saying "re-built for next gen". Doesn't really mean anything except the game is being ported to the new consoles. Not that it won't look great, but they could do little more than upres it and they'd still claim it was "re-built for next gen".

Honestly, we know about what to expect, seeing as this is not the first PS3 game to be ported. I suspect the game will be right about on par with Tomb Raider, and that's not a bad thing.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@JaxonH

I agree, inFamous is a great game. It's just unfortunate other developers, first and third party haven't really delivered anything worth playing. I like MGS V: Ground Zeroes, but it is just a prologue and Thief was a pretty big disappointment. The Evil Within is a summer release I'm looking forward to, I'm hoping Mikami can deliver but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Looking forward to this. This game along almost got me to buy a PS3 several times now that it's confirmed for PS4 I will definitely be picking it up.

I know some people are upset about these PS3 ports but for someone like me who didn't own a PS3 last gen this is great and I hope that more PS3 games will be ported to the PS4.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Gamer83: I dont know I think PS4's first year is much better then the Wii U's. Alot of good games came out. Resogun was great, I enjoyed ACIV even though it was more like a pirate game then an AC game, I still need to get Tomb Raider, Strider was another good one, and I am looking forward to Infamous when I get the extra cash to pick it up. Not quite sure how you can call that a bad first year.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Tasuki

Not the biggest fan of indie games (there's always a gem here or there but I haven't really found one yet for PS4), Thief was a massive disappointment but to be fair that might have been my fault for expecting too much, and most of the other stuff I'm looking forward to is still very much up in the air for how good it will be. The Order, The Evil Within, and I'll throw Watch Dogs in too, could all be great, they could all also just as easily be disasters. The rest of the lineup is ports that aren't needed. The only sure thing is Batman: Arkham Knight, really hoping that it stays on track for October.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Gamer83

Ya, you gotta pay your dues as an early adopter. I paid my dues with the Wii U. It had a fantastic launch, and games like New Super Mario Bros U, Sonic Racing Transformed and ZombiU lasted me until well into 2013. But after that, there was a good 6 month span with little more than Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Injustice to freshen the library. Fortunately, MH3U is one of the best video games ever made, and I put well over 600 hours into that bad boy. Still, that was a long, hard 6 months. But once fall 2013 came around my dues were paid- it was time to collect! Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Zelda Windwaker HD, New Super Luigi U, Super Mario 3D World, DKC Tropical Freeze, Rayman Legends, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Assassin's Creed 4... soon Mario Kart 8... I'm passing the collection plate now.

Likewise, we all must pay our dues with PS4. I didn't have a game to play on PS4 the first 3 months I owned the console, but thankfully Tomb Raider, Infamous and (briefly) MGSV GZ broke in my console in due time. I fully expect the first 9 months or so to be pretty rough. But, when it comes time to collect- Assassin's Creed Unity, Batman Arkham Knight, Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, Final Fantasy 15... you're gonna forget that drought ever happened ;) This is the price we pay to pioneer the next generation. Stand tall and proud my friend.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Gamer83: Fair enough man I understand where you are coming from. I honesty haven't played Thief I saw the previews but the reviews I read about it made me want to rent it first, I am still waiting for GameFly to send me that one.

As for Indie games yeah I am not to big on them either but Resogun and Strider to me anyway felt more like a big studio release.

I can see your point with The Order, and especially Watch Dogs on that it's hard to tell which way they will go but all we can do is wait and see.

Not sure about you but I am looking forward to MLB: The Show, it's been years since I played a Baseball game and I am really looking forward to it.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Tasuki

If you're a big baseball fan I think you'll like The Show. I've been playing 14 on the Vita the last week now and it's great.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@JaxonH

I guess what concerns me is that with PS3 early adopters were paying their dues for three years. The PSone and 2 didn't hit the ground right away either but by the end of '96, PSone was building a nice library and by the end of '01 PS2 had a good amount of solid games. PSP had a strong launch then was dry until like 2008, PS3 took until 2009 to hit its stride. What gave me hope for PS4 was how strong Sony's first party output has been the last four years but it is what it is. With the recent happenings I'm not expecting anything until 2016. Of course I can't say the grass is much greener on the other side because the X1's lineup isn't exactly stellar. It does seems have more games announced that I'm looking forward to but a few announcements from Sony at E3 could change that. At this point I'm ok with the fact it's going to be a waiting game again, I just want Sony to show me that there is something to look forward to. People always point to The Last Guardian as a reason why it's good for companies to play cards close to their chests but I don't agree with that strategy when it comes to all games. New IPs, yes, but we know Uncharted is going to happen and I'm expecting the build up will start at E3. Sony has a bunch of other franchises it could announce future entries for also.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@ReigningSemtex On the topic of the [-Ed] thing, it's basically a way to add in the editor's personal and comedic thoughts, or updates to the article. As you can probably guess, the 'Ed' is just short for 'Editor'.

BlueProxy

BlueProxy said:

Now your talking. Yea, this is a must buy for me, even though I've played it four times on my PS3.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@Ginkgo Then put the PS3 game on PS4s PSN and charge £15 for it (what it's selling for in shops at the moment), not slightly improve the graphics, add in the DLC and charge full whack. It's a con.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

This one problem with this gen thats putting me right off is ports of games that literally came out a year ago I just want new games, oh well I'll wait till E3 hopefully Sony will surprise me.

XavandSo

XavandSo said:

In 20 years when I do a replay of The Last of Us with my children, I will be playing it on the system it was designed for. The PlayStation 3. The version which blown us away again and again. I am a very nostalgic person, so I find re-releases and remakes lose some of that magic the original release had. For example the 3DS remake of Ocarina of Time, I feel, was lacking in comparison to the original N64 version. That said, I'll own a PS4 and probably the TLOU remake too by then.

SpenceHoshi

SpenceHoshi said:

Yeah I didn't get this game for PS3. So this will be very good to place on PS4. Not to mention I'm the best gamer on this entire website as WE ALL KNOW. Factinion.