The Last of Us Artist Departs Naughty Dog for Giant Sparrow

Wells there you go

The game of musical chairs at Sony first-party Naughty Dog is still ongoing, as The Last of Us' lead artist Nate Wells has departed the Californian studio in order to team up with indie Giant Sparrow. You may remember the aforementioned outfit for The Unfinished Swan, which was one of our favourite games of 2012. The team is currently believed to be busy on a title named Edith Finch, though additional details are still forthcoming.

The switch will keep the skilled sketcher at the bosom of the Japanese giant’s internal operations, as his new employers are currently signed to a three-game exclusivity deal just like thatgamecompany. Still, we don’t think that you should read too much into this departure, as Wells also left Irrational Games shortly before the release of BioShock Infinite. We like to think of him as an enigma, sharing his talent with anyone that will give him a pencil and paint brush.

[via twitter.com, psu.com]

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

Comments incoming about Sony Playstation 4 is doomed... Microsoft is investing while Sony is doing nothing. Laughs

@Sanquine Haha, yeah. There's nothing to read into this: just a talented dude looking for a different challenge, I suspect.

Demi_God

Demi_God said:

it's an indie movement. big developer names going to indie developement companies to either run it themselves or to bring that company up.

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

Indie games have more freedom for invention and far less pressure to perform...if I'd ever worked out how to break into video game art I'd rather be at a small passionate indie outfit than a high pressure regurgitation factory working on something like CoD. Invention and great design do still happen in big games of course...but rather rarely.
I'm looking forward to Giant Sparrows next offering.

BetweenTheTrees

BetweenTheTrees said:

it seems like every other article is someone leaving some company. the video game industry is in a constant state of flux. which is good, brings fresh ideas to the table. not many companies just make games for money, EA excluded. I love the passion, the game industry has to be the most passionate industry I've seen or heard of. we live in a golden age of games people.

BetweenTheTrees

BetweenTheTrees said:

@Sanquine

I doubt we'll hear ps4 doom and gloom. though I guess I wouldn't doubt it. but i'm pretty sure the doomed system of choice is the Wii U, sad.

GameDev345

GameDev345 said:

Surprised none of the articles relating to this points out that he moved from one Sony studio to another, as Giant Sparrow is an indie dev under Sony santa monica

Guess they need those click baits

Cyrso

Cyrso said:

Only makes me more excited for Giant Sparrow's PS4 game. :)

(But one artist doesn't make the whole game obviously)