PS4's Enormous 2014 Lineup Looks Even Better in Video Form

Pick your favourites

We know that not everyone’s happy with the PlayStation 4 lineup at the minute, but we challenge you all to sit through this embedded video without finding at least two or three titles that you’re looking forward to this year. Following on from Sony’s gigantic list of impending next-gen releases, our friends over at PlayStation Access have compiled this short music video showing off every single one set to deploy in 2014. No games, you say?

Once we reached 40, we stopped counting the titles that we’re probably going to buy, primarily because our wallets started to cry. Seriously, there’s a good mix of genres on display here. And the best thing is that this list is certain to grow after E3, with many of the major publishers likely holding back their blockbusters ahead of the big Los Angeles show. Is there anything in particular in this video that you’re looking forward to? Count your pennies in the comments section below.

[via youtube.com]

Tsuzura

Tsuzura said:

@WickedKnightAl
Those are 90% indies and indies are not real games! >D
I do like how there are alot of indie games coming to PS4 and Wii U/3DS, it brings out more variety to our systems :)

But there is nothing much coming to Vita :S

divinelite

divinelite said:

@Tsuzura I must pass on vita because so many games coming to vita from january to May
And small percentage of them are Indies

Carl-G

Carl-G said:

They forgot the big normal yearly games like FIFA & COD & maybe another BF game. Cool video anyway & i can see a few i will buy;)

I'm most excited for some of the B-tier games in this list - Sniper Elite 3 and Murdered: Soul Suspect, for example.

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

I've always been waiting for certain games to arrive...the current line up is far from packed with titles that excite me but I knew the big titles I'm after would eventually reward my patience. Infamous 2nd son already has. The indie offerings intrigue me the most, they are where the chances are taken, experimentation and innovation. Some of my most satisfying gaming experiences of the last generation were the indie titles. Excellent video.

RawShark

RawShark said:

I'm happy with the line up, but I'm really counting down the days until our first proper look at Uncharted 4.

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

@BornOfEvil oh good....there are so many who do think that way that I just thought you were one of them lol
That way of thinking has always baffled me....I truly don't see the reason for the hate.

N711

N711 said:

Im expecting a few good surprises from E3.. I know its sad how optimistic I am :P Also very intrigued about what the Last of Us will look like on PS4, I can imagine the intro umm

Punkinhead145

Punkinhead145 said:

I'm pumped for this year in gaming, and I think the first thing I need to save up for before anything is new harddrive for my PS4, because the selection for this coming year looks incredible!

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Outside of Batman: Arkham Knight and The Evil Within, neither of which is exclusive, the lineup pretty much sucks unless indies are all you care about.

Heiki

Heiki said:

This is nice if you like indies and shooters. But I can't justify a PS4 just yet. Most games I want are coming only to PS3.

Punished_Boss_84

Punished_Boss_84 said:

@Heiki Don't worry, E3/Gamescom should definitely change that perception in no time.

Topic: MGS 5: The Phantom Pain (Dat E3 Trailer), The Order 1886, Driveclub and some are others are next gen releases, which will lure me over to either PS4 or that other console.

adf86

adf86 said:

@Gamer83 That's why Sony were clever in realising that indie games are critical in building a strong ecosystem for the console, cos that's the way it's going now. It's either AAA or indie cos the middle group fell out last gen.

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

awesome video, really does make me want to play a ton of those games.
Hence my frustration....i couldn't identify more than a couple of the major ones i've already seen/read about!
can someone (Pushsquare?) make a list of the games & the order/times they appear at? lol

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@adf86

Yes, I've heard this 1 million times. Most people don't spend $400 on a super console like PS4 for indie games though, no matter how much people here want to champion for them. Not saying they're bad, certainly not saying they aren't needed but the balance is ridiculous. MS and Nintendo have a lot of indie games on the way also, but it's balanced nicely with the AAA games. Particularly the exclusives. The way the last half of last generation ended I didn't expect Sony's first parties to be off to such a pathetic start on PS4, outside of Sucker Punch, it's a mess. Layoffs, delays, cancellations, people just up and leaving. At least Jaime Griesemer saw Second Son through to the end before taking off.

adf86

adf86 said:

Microsoft studios had layoffs last week too, by that logic then they are in a mess too? I'm sorry but all Xbox on has is Titanfall and Peggle 2 and nothing worth talking about for months. To expect Sony to release a dozen of exclusives within the first six months of a console's life is unrealistic. Sony from there own studios have released three so far with MLB to come next month. That's a pretty good output. I mean what do you want them to do, just bring out games half finished like Battlefield 4 or hold them back a few months so they can get it right?

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

MS hasn't been losing people left and right over the last month, month and a half like Sony has. The situation over there isn't nearly as bad and unlike Sony, MS actually has money. As far as Sony's output, I didn't say dozens of exclusives, but outside of inFamous and MLB this year has The Order and potentially DriveClub and even with the delays, I think it's very up in the air how good DriveClub will turn out. PS3 had a better first year in terms of high quality exclusives. Right now, PS4 only has one in inFamous. X1 has Forza, Dead Rising and Titanfall. Two may be third party, but MS has the money and is willing to spend it to lock up big releases and at E3 its set to announce a new round of exclusives, this time from Japanese companies with Resident Evil among them. Sony is busy spending money it doesn't have on VR when that spending should be done on the most important thing, which is games. Some of that money could've gone to Konami to keep MGS a PS exclusive.

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

Indy games are making the difference on the PS4 right now. I have both consoles and most of the next gen games I own are on the PS4. Games are games no matter where they come from. I can waste hours on Don't starve but get tired of Dead rising in 30 mins and the same goes for 3rd party. The most resent 3rd party game I have played longer than that is Second Son. For those who don't think that Indy games are games, get used to them because that is the future of the business. Your welcome in advance.

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

@Gamer83 I play may ps4 more than my xbox even though I have 3 of the titles you listed. Titanfall is COD with robots, it's not something I can play for hours and keep entertained. Dead rising is ok but it gets old quick. Sony has variety going for them with the independent market. Don't starve is a great game and Mercenary Kings released last Tuesday. Both very different games that create a large diversity with players. There are other indy games that are on the market that remain PS exclusives. Every month there is something new on PS store. MS can't say that, I find it hard to find anything to buy on XBO other than the games I already own. There are few games that are coming out in the short term that are exclusive to either console. So releasing indy games every month makes the ps store look healthy and growing month to month while xbo market place has changed little since day one.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Lopezdm

What's making the difference is the $400 price tag on PS4 and Sony marketing it as a more consumer friendly console, nothing else. If MS hadn't been so stupid as to charge $500 and try to go with that 24-hour check-in and other bs, the X1 would be selling on par with, maybe better than PS4. It's not the indie game lineup that's making the difference. Maybe for you and some others it is, but outside of Sony centric sites or multiconsole sites that have a huge Sony fanboy following, there's the 'PS4 has no games' argument flying all over the place. It's stupid because frankly, X1's lineup isn't stellar either, the 360 had a far better lineup at this point in its cycle than the Xbox One does. But, if you're looking for more than indie games, Xbox One is better than PS4 at this point. MS is also getting more aggressive on the indie scene and it's easier to lineup an impressive slate of indie games than it is AAA titles. MS has the hard part out of the way with upcoming exclusives like Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5, Gears of War, Resident Evil 7 and then all the big multiplats. Sony has The Order, DriveClub and Uncharted as far as exclusives and only one of those will be out this year. If MS gets the price of X1 down by this holiday season, it can start cutting significantly into Sony's early lead because under Phil Spencer's direction its putting a focus on all sorts of games. Sony's first parties do not have their sh*t together right now and Sony even when it was in good financial shape never had the money to compete with MS' checkbook, forget about it now. We'll see what the lineups look like after E3, but I'm not expecting it to be very good for PS4. It's going to be another 3-year wait, just like it was for PS3, for this console to be worth a damn. Unfortunately because I'm not in position to just wildly spend money, I don't have a second system this time to make that wait easier. My fault for thinking Sony would carry the momentum it built up from the latter half of last gen into this one. Not expect dozens of great exclusives right off the bat, but even the PS3, which took a beating in the press and from gamers, had a better slate of first-year, quality exclusive titles. If The Order or DriveClub, which ever releases this year, disappoints, then all PS4 had was inFamous. From Nov. 2006- to the end of 2007 PS3 had Resistance Fall of Man, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Ratchet & Clank Future Tools of Destruction and Uncharted 1. On the downloadable scene it had flOw, Super Stardust HD, Everyday Shooter and Calling All Cars. Sony needs to step it up, after inFamous, my favorite PS4 game at the moment- aside from two indie games I really like, Resogun and Contrast- is MGS V: Ground Zeroes. A prologue, not even a real game. That says is all about this lineup.

adf86

adf86 said:

@Gamer83 If Microsoft have a Resident Evil game as an exclusive then that will turn a lot more people off an already flagging franchise cos most people don't associate Resident Evil with the xbox brand. Besides this idea that Microsoft can just buy exclusives is getting harder with each passing day cos of PS4 outselling X1 in all regions, look at how much money Titanfall would have made if it was on Playstation too, EA clearly regretted that and probably had to face some very angry shareholders. I respect your opinion mate but trust me from what I've read and the people I've talked who have far better knowledge of this say it's not as bad as people think. It's pretty much what happened at Japan Studio a few years ago, there output was pretty poor than they brought in the guy who foundered Santa Monica to whip them into shape, the resut was cancelling a number of projects and focusing on the more promising titles and they've been more productive for it. Sony are actually rehiring at some studios now, Santa Monica especially.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@adf86

When Sony gets out of financial hell and has a substantial lineup to show, that's when I'll feel better about things. E3 this year is big. I don't think RE 7 going X1 exclusive makes much sense either, but rumors were swirling recently that MS fronted the cash and though 5 and 6 sold better on PS3, those games didn't sell much worse on 360. I'm really hoping it doesn't happen but MS has shown a willingness to moneyhat and companies have shown a willingness to take that money. If the price is right, and the studio is confident in its game, MS can still pick some more off the market. It likely wouldn't land GTA or CoD, but it could land some of those mid-tier ones like RE, Tomb Raider, Street Fighter, Deus Ex.

adf86

adf86 said:

@Gamer83 The Capcom thing is an interesting one cos they gave dead rising 3 and possibly resi to xbox while Sony has deep down and some rumours (though I doubt it) about street fighter 5. I think a lot of Sony's studios will reveal what there doing at E3 cos we have Bend, Corey Barlog's Santa Monica project, Media Molecule, Gurillea Games's rumoured RPG, Studio Japan may have something too. So there reasons for optimism, I think ultimately Sony have slimed down some studios so they can focus on the most promising titles. I thijk that's why they cancelled the SSM sci-fi game cos it wasn't in great shape and it would have cost possibly double the budget it had to get it to anything remotely decent. And I think they took the decision that the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@adf86

Deep Down is one of those games I'm hoping to learn a lot about at E3, some of the ideas for that game seem great so that could end up being a bigger release than I've given it credit for if Capcom can execute its plans well enough. Sony has a lot of studios so that's why I have some hope for E3. I don't care if some of the games announced aren't out until late 2015 or even into 2016 at this point, I just want to see some stuff announced to get hyped about.

adf86

adf86 said:

I'm fairly sure that will happen mate. From Sony's point of view they didn't need to sell the console for the first few months of the consoles life cos of the goodwill they got & preorders etc, then Infamous comes out at a time when it was needed to keep the momentum up. And that will do them fine for another few months, they'll get a marketing boost for Watch Dogs like I said & MLB comes out in may (more of a deal in U.S. of course) & hopefully Driveclub in june. So from a marketing strategy perspective, so many things have fallen Sony's way that they've not needed to come out and reveal all there exclusives, that WILL need to change at E3 cos the big three will be trying to sell us there lineups going all the way to christmas 2015.

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

@Gamer83 idk I bought my xbox one around the same price as the ps4. I bought the titanfall very that had the 50 dollar discount and a "free" game included. So for me the price wasn't a issue. Entertaining the idea that indies don't hold the same weight as other games is backwards thinking. In most chases indies have better content at a cheaper price tag. Discounts and free games are something that help sony in the psn economy. As for Sony not having the cash, that could change if people keep buying the ps4 and games respectively. Triple a games are not what it used to be and we no longer have mid range companies like THQ to bridge the gap with other games.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Lopezdm

You're right that's there no middle ground anymore, which is why I don't dismiss indie games, I've played a fair number that I really enjoy. I don't agree that's it's backwards thinking though to suggest that AAAs are just as, or maybe more important. Games like Halo, Uncharted, Mario and Zelda, those sell consoles and the well-made AAA games are better than the top indie games, imo. But I don't want to disparage the indie scene because those games are needed to flesh out the lineup and I'm hoping as time goes on and some of the bigger indie teams get a better grip on the hardware that PS4 and X1 provides them, that we'll see games from these developers on par with the second tier games we saw in the PS2 era.

WARDIE

WARDIE said:

All you people who complain about old school and remakes from last gen need to get a grip as you all wanted the backwards Com need to get a grip. Im happy that there are these games filling the void until we get the proper next gen games. If you feel you'll be better of on the xbox you are all wrong. I have both systems and beleive me the ps4 is the system that will dominate this generation so if you decide to was you money on the xbone I wish you all the look in the world as you'll need it. I've been a gamer for 28 years and the ps4 has had the most amount of games in any generation.