PS4 Firmware Update 1.70 to Be Accompanied by PlayStation App Update

Master the MySpace angle

We know that you’re all excited for PlayStation 4 firmware update v1.70, but if you put down your pitchforks for long enough, then we come bearing news. Sadly, we don’t have a release date, but we do have some information pertaining to an impending update to the smartphone-based PlayStation App. According to DualShockers, this will be receiving an upgrade designed to go hand-in-hand with the new system software, unlocking new features and functionality.

While the full roster of improvements remain under wraps, turtleneck loving news editor Giuseppe Nelva did notice that you’ll be able to snap and upload new profile pictures using your smartphone’s camera. Snazzy, huh? The functionality already appears to be partially built into the next-gen console, so it’s just a case of waiting for the various impending updates before you’ll actually be able to take advantage of it. Alright, you can pick up your pitchforks again now.

[via dualshockers.com, psu.com]

ZeD

ZeD said:

This firmware update is causing wars - sooner it comes out the better

dudeware

dudeware said:

You know what they should add to the app, a damn store built in FFS. I'm still pissed that I have to be redirected to my web app then have to login to PSN AGAIN just to browse the stupid store. I don't even care if the app is 5 gb's in size I just want that functionality built into the app!

TheMonkeyBongo

TheMonkeyBongo said:

@dudeware Definitely! They also need to add native features for each platform. Having no iOS notifications for PSN messages is crazy.....makes that feature pretty pointless.

jimmaggee

jimmaggee said:

I don't know how many people are aware but you can actually use the iOS app (in the second screen mode) to do some basic navigation of the ps4. Now they really need to add a full sweet of controls (especially media controls!) as i quite often sit back to watch a dvd on there and just turn it on with my phone, however from there you can't play pause etc and i have to turn on my controller. Due to the limited battery life of the controller i don't like having it turned on whilst consuming video media. I also start dvd's with my vita however from there the remote play function stops and you can't use that for control either. There are a great number of features that can be added to the companion apps such as a native store, message notifications and download status bars. The biggest trick i think Sony is missing at the moment is to have a dedicated PS social network. Im not a big you tuber and i doubt anyone on Facebook cares for anything other than the crazy or amazing videos so i would like to be able to simple share things amongst my playstation friends including vids, screenshots and trophy accomplishments!

DoublezZ01

DoublezZ01 said:

Sweetness!!! Finally i can use a gundam as my avatar, if i read this correctly!!! =)

T_Bone

T_Bone said:

Needs to have a fix for the Logitech g27 wheel. I won't buy it until it does.

thedevilsjester

thedevilsjester said:

@DoublezZ01 They are not likely to, and for a damn good reason. Just look at what idiots are doing with Play Room. They would have to constantly police peoples avatars, and with that there will always be some that either slip through the crack because they havent been reported yet, or they just barely scrape by the rules.

DoublezZ01

DoublezZ01 said:

@thedevilsjester yeah I figured as much thought of that the same day I read this article! Its sad how other people ruin it for those who have nothing but good intentions! I want to use a Gundam avatar sooooo baaad!!!