Opinion: Could SHAREfactory on PS4 Become a Bit of a Cash Cow?

The cost of creativity

When the reports regarding an overhauled video editing suite for the PlayStation 4 first dropped, we weren’t expecting it to offer much. You’re already able to add titles to video clips on the Xbox One, and so we were anticipating something similar on Sony’s next-gen machine. However, when rumours relating to the involvement of the Sony Vegas Pro development team started to circulate, our expectations rose.

Now that it’s announced, though, the application – named SHAREfactory – appears to be much more than we ever predicted. For those of you that missed the reveal, the add-on – available as part of firmware update v1.70 – will allow you to stick clips together, record audio and video commentaries, implement effects, and much more. And the reveal trailer has left us pondering whether it’s going to become something of a secret cash cow for the platform holder moving forwards.

At the moment, the firm’s not really raking any revenue in from themes and avatars, as they can’t currently be purchased on the next-gen machine. However, we’re sure that both of these are on the agenda, and we’re curious whether it has additional money making schemes in mind for its new video editing suite. Watch the trailer and you’ll spot some inFAMOUS: Second Son specific transitions, as well as a whole host of included audio tracks.

This suggests to us that your options will increase over time, with new transitions, effects, fonts, and audio incorporated – but we’re not overly convinced that these add-ons will be offered for free. Indeed, it’s easy to see a way in which the firm could sell The Order: 1886 or DriveClub packs, adding new transitions, filters, and frames to your toolbox for a nominal fee. The firm could even open this up to third-parties, and the packs wouldn’t necessarily need to be game themed.

The big question is: do you think that you’d invest in these hypothetical customisation options? Would you splash out on an Uncharted-inspired star wipe, or do you suspect that these kinds of extras would struggle to sell? Are there any particular transitions or effects that you’d love to see added to the application that you would be willing to pay for? Share your sense in the comments section below.

[via News: PS4 Firmware Update 1.70 Will Add New Sharing Options and HDCP Support]

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

It's entirely possible. Personally, as long as functionality isn't locked behind payments, I'm fine. I don't mind shelling out a bit extra for things like new transitions and whatnot, but I wouldn't like for them to lock out whole features right from the get-go.

@Cloud7794 The core functionality will certainly be free, so no worries there. Bizarrely, I also think I'd pay for some cool transitions, too, even though I'm not sure they'd get much use. Price would have to be right, though.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

On a PC, people would pay a LOT of money for software like this. It also takes a lot of time, work (= money) to develop software like this. So I'd say it would be fair if they'd ask money for non-feature (like transitions, sounds, etc) DLC.

Maybe they'll do free and premium packs.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I'd shove my money down Sony's throat if they made some TLOU, DriveClub and The Order: 1886 transitions and stickers. Of course, they'd have to be reasonably price. I'm thinking 50cents for stickers and 1.00-1.25 for transitions would be good.

@Paranoimia Get out. Im kidding, I think the inability to upload footage to YouTube is weird too, but most people seem happy with Twitch and Ustream.

BlueProxy

BlueProxy said:

@Paranoimia

My thoughts also. I'm curious about what's keeping Sony from unlocking YouTube uploading. Some legal nonsense, or worse, a competitor is interfering. Twitch is just "something" for now.

Matt_Berial

Matt_Berial said:

I also hope they add direct uploading to YouTube. But i can't wait for this update though. They said more will be announced when the time comes, can't wait to see what else they have that isn't announced yet.

DoublezZ01

DoublezZ01 said:

Sweetness!!!, This might finally get me into video editing!!! =D and no way will u have to pay for what us basically updating the sharing features which they really want ppl to use!!!