Feature: 12 PS3 Hits We'd Like to See Remastered for PS4

Posted by Push Square Staff

Lick of paint

With content droughts always a concern shortly after the release of a brand new system, we predicted earlier in the year that 2014 would play host to a slew of PlayStation 3 re-releases. While this hasn’t quite played out just yet – with Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition and Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition being the most noticeable upgrades – there are hints that a number of publishers are working on PlayStation 4 ports. For example, Sony hasn’t officially unveiled it yet, but it’s clear that Naughty Dog’s survival horror opus The Last of Us is on its way, while Metro: Redux was recently confirmed for the console as well. With these repurposed products certain to become even more common over the coming months, we’ve pulled a chunk of our team together to talk about the titles that we’d like to see re-mastered for the Japanese giant’s latest super machine.

Bayonetta

Nathan Michalik: Plagued with problems at launch, Bayonetta was an insanely good game that was held back by development issues with the PS3 hardware. Fortunately, the improved capabilities and more streamlined architecture of Sony’s next-gen system would fit the madness of Platinum Games’ character action excursion like a catsuit made of human hair, so I’d love to see this classic make a comeback on the PS4.

Beyond: Two Souls

Sammy Barker: It may have been the gaming equivalent of yeast extract on toast, but I really enjoyed David Cage’s emotional rollercoaster. Granted, the title tried to tackle too many genres at once – hopping between horror, sci-fi, and even bad romantic comedy – but in spite of the mixed script, the Hollywood cast really succeeded in bringing this ghoulish tale to life. The release already looked great on the PS3, of course, but it could come close to photorealism on Sony’s next-gen machine. More than anything, though, I just really want an excuse to play this again, because I’ll forever regret not kicking that British partygoer into touch if I don’t.

Dark Souls

Alex Stinton: My number one candidate for a PS4 definitive edition is Dark Souls. An unstable framerate – especially in the infamous Blighttown area – and muddy textures didn’t exactly detract from this tough role-playing game when it was originally released, but the thought of a better looking and smoother version is something that I’d snap up in an instant. Who knows, maybe even developer From Software could incorporate the full lighting model which failed to make it into the sequel.

God of War III

Brett Young: One game that I think could benefit immensely from the PS4 treatment is God of War III. While it looked stunning to start with, a next-gen port would look absolutely phenomenal. Moreover, the previous entries in the series made the jump to the PS3, so what’s stopping this one from putting in an appearance on Sony’s latest super machine? That opening boss fight is an experience that I’d happily pay to revisit.

inFAMOUS

Joey Thurmond: inFAMOUS: Second Son is, without a doubt, one of the most graphically beautiful titles that’s ever graced a console. However, its recent release has prompted me to think back to the first game, and – while impressive for its time – how it suffered from texture pop-ins, awkward animations, and a muted colour palette consisting of way more than fifty shades of grey. With the PS4, all of these flaws could be improved, allowing newcomers to enjoy the franchise’s origins without having to slug through the original release’s putrid presentation. Throw in control refinements, touchpad integration, and new voice acting from Eric Ladin, and this could be a great port.

Journey

Kell Andersen: Journey is a gorgeous game – on this we can all agree. So gorgeous, in fact, that it may seem like a waste of time and energy attempting to make it any more pretty on the PS4. Alas, after seeing Flower on the next-gen machine, I can't help but wonder what thatgamecompany's meditative masterpiece would look like on new hardware. And if nothing else, it would hold us over until the inevitable sequel: Journey 2: The Reckoning.

Just Cause 2

Simon Fitzgerald: The one title that I would like to see on the PS4 is Just Cause 2. I loved this game so much; with its free roaming traversal and explosive gameplay, I just couldn’t put it down. A re-release would really benefit from upgraded visuals and the added features of the DualShock 4, and I wouldn’t say no to some additional content – perhaps a new area or even that multiplayer mod that’s proving popular on the PC. Either way, this was a great adventure on the PS3, so why not make it even better?

Mass Effect Trilogy

Robert Ramsey: For me, there's only one series that needs to be reborn on the PS4, and that's Mass Effect. Luckily, with the franchise's fourth instalment expected to land within the next couple of years, the thought of seeing Commander Shepard's story put in an appearance on Sony's next-gen machine may not be too unbelievable. The trilogy was enthralling on the PS3, despite the fact that we had to wait several years for the first game, but with the PS4's technical prowess backing it, the sci-fi-'em-up could far surpass its original console incarnation due to a much more stable framerate and far fewer glitchy moments.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Edwin Garcia: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance has to have one of the crazier names in recent memory – and that nonsense is only matched by its gameplay. Still, considering its parent property’s pedigree, this wasn’t quite the looker that franchise fans may have expected, but the power of the PS4 could put paid to any complaints about its presentation. Toss in the DLC starring robotic dogs and this could be a really great package – especially seeing as a fair few missed out on the madness first time around.

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Katy Ellis: For me, there’s one game in particular that’s crying out for a PS4 makeover, and that’s Studio Ghibli and Level-5’s magical Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. A game so rich in colour, depth, and detail would look truly divine on Sony’s latest system, and would give gamers another opportunity to enjoy a release which sincerely deserved all of the acclaim that it received back in February of last year. I can only imagine how crisp the lights of the Fairyground market would look on next-gen hardware, and I’m practically drooling at the prospect of flying with Tengri across the world map with a DualShock 4 in hand. If nothing else, though, the PS4 could do with a few JRPGs.

Tales of Xillia

Nicola Hayden: I believe that Tales of Xillia and its direct sequel Tales of Xillia 2 should receive a PS4 makeover. Alright, the latter’s not been localised yet, but the twosome are widely regarded as the franchise’s crème-de-la-crème, and would undoubtedly take great advantage of the system’s upgraded visuals. Improvements to the locales, character animations, and cut-scenes would help to draw you even deeper into the narrative and gameplay, while a second shot at stardom should hopefully ensure that these classics aren’t forgotten in the sands of time.

The Unfinished Swan

Graham Banas: The Unfinished Swan is my favourite game ever, so I’d love for it to find a way onto Sony’s latest system. I think that the interesting visual approach combined with an increase in the draw distance would make this adventure even more of a sight to behold. I know, it already looks outstanding, but there were a few technical niggles with the original that the power of the PS4 could easily clear up. And if nothing else, I just really like tossing paint.

Are there any titles in particular that you’d like to see upgraded for Sony’s next-gen system? Do you wish that publishers would focus on new PS4 titles, rather than ports? Spruce yourself up in the comments section below.

Which of these PS3 titles would you most like to play on PS4? (83 votes)

Bayonetta

20%

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

13%

Tales of Xillia

The Unfinished Swan

Please login to vote in this poll.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I'd love to see Just Cause 2 on the PS4, I loved how random it was and don't even get me started on the grappling. God of War 3 would be a close second, followed by Bayonetta, though, I'd prefer Bayonetta 2.

iSolipsistJudas

iSolipsistJudas said:

GOW III would look absolutely amazing with enhanced graphics on the PS4. I can hand Zeus his ass again too.
Mass Effect would cause me to get endless sleep, which would cause me to overdose on Redbull & Starbucks - =P -
I haven't gotten a chance to play Beyond: Two Souls & have only played the demo & would definitely like to play the game full through on PS4.
I'm honestly hoping Sony takes these titles into consideration, although it's being played again on a different system. I really enjoyed ME & GOW enough to play it all over again just for fun of gaming.

PSN: iSillyBoiJudas

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

The Push Square community has spoken!

I am your prophet!

Bring the Mass Effect Trilogy to PS4!

SimonAdebisi

SimonAdebisi said:

Only interested in bayonetta as I havent yet played it but was always curious. I'd prefer sequels to mass effect/beyond 2 souls and a dark souls 3 would be nice. I'd prefer perhaps a ni no Kuni on the vita. Also yet to play xillia but not screaming out for a port.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'm not sure if any PS3 games really need an "update" from PS3 HD to PS4 HD, - wouldn't Unfinished Swan and Ni No Kuni basically look the same anyway? - but I am curious how the Uncharted trilogy, not even Uncharted 2, made the list?

If there is any 1 trilogy Xbox360 owners need to play when they cross over it's Uncharted. Not Killzone, not inFamous, it's uncontested Uncharted. Even if the first 1 is meh, and 3 isn't as good as 2, it's worth it to play all 3 just for 2.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

Bethesda needs to port FO:NV and Skyrim if just for stability. A ME or even KOTOR title would look amazing too.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@rjejr what you'd notice would mostly be the anti-aliasing, lighting effects and input latency/better controls overall. Might not sound important enough, but I'd care. It'd be the difference between AC4 or BF4 etc on ps3 vs on ps4

chazaroonie

chazaroonie said:

With PlayStation Now on the horizon, I'm not sure we need a glut of last gen games updating. I'd rather sequels to the great PS3 games or new IPs. I did buy the discounted Tomb Raider from the PS store last weekend as it was half price, but I'd not played the PS3 version (even though it was free with PS+). I don't care if games are Indies or AAA titles, as long as they are quality. I just want to have new "next gen" experiences on my new console.

alphadrago5

alphadrago5 said:

I'd love to see the KOTOR games on PS4. It really is one of the best RPG's around in my opinion. Heck, i'd be happy if it even got a ps3 release.
Alternatively though, i'd have to say that MGR:Revengeance deserves a spot on the PS4 list of ports. Just imagine slicing and dicing now with EVEN PRETTIER GRAPHICS! No but seriously.. it'd be glorious.

Cyrso

Cyrso said:

• Puppeteer. The graphics were already fantastic, but the game could really benefit from 60 fps. The visuals actually don't need an upgrade, they were already incredible, but a resolution upgrade to 1080p couldn't hurt either if it's possible.
  • Ratchet & Clank PS3 trilogy maybe. (Tools of Destruction, A Crack in Time, Into the Nexus). I think Into the Nexus got buried under PS4/Xbox One hype and released at the same time on PS3, so I think it went under the rader for a lot of people, therefore it will still be new to lots of people on PS4. It was also the first Ratchet game to sacrifice 60 fps for better graphics, so on PS4 they won't have to make that concession. They should have prioritized a Vita / PS4 version for this game.
  • Dragon's Dogma. Could really benefit from a more steadier frame rate and better IQ. I'm also inclined to say Remember Me.

Also didn't play it yet, but GTA V seems like an obvious one. Same goes for The Last of Us.

@Cyrso Puppeteer's a great shout. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened actually, because a lot of people missed it.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Shadow of the Colossus. I really want to see that game on PS4, or even on Vita if they'd sell PS2 classics on the store (a remaster would certainly be more in order though, in the vein of FFX on Vita).

I'd be all game for Mass Effect Trilogy, and really any other collection they want to bring. Uncharted trilogy, Batman Arkham trilogy, whatever...

But my top pick from the list was Bayonetta, although I won't be too upset if I never see it on PS4 considering I'll be playing Bayonetta 2 in 6 months or less.

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

No Motorstorm Apocalypse? With the added grunt of the Ps4 it would make a fantastic remaster and it would give them a chance to iron out a few quirks of the game. Shame to see the series brushed under the carpet. Pacific Rift was probably my most played racer last gen.

Ended up voting Beyond. Any excuse to play through it again ;)

cherrypoppa

cherrypoppa said:

Mass Effect trilogy would be sweet, and Resistance 3 'cause that game is very good but no one played it, and maybe Syndicate because the co-op in it is one of the best I've played!!

justerthought

justerthought said:

Just Cause 2 would be superb on PS4. You forgot to mention Skyrim. The best game ever made that ran crap on PS3.

goonow

goonow said:

A God of war port is certain. Its just that it might not come for a few years.

ToddlerNaruto

ToddlerNaruto said:

I'd love to see the following games/series receive PS4 Remastered versions.

Assassin's Creed series (1-3, Brotherhood, and Revelations)
Batman: Arkham Trilogy (Asylum, City, and Origins)
Dead Space Trilogy (1-3)
Devil May Cry Collection (DMC4 and 2013 reboot)
Dark Souls Collection (1 and 2)
Dead Rising Trilogy (1, 2, and Off the Record)
Fallout Collection (3 and New Vegas)
Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy (1, 2, and Lightning Returns)
God of War Collection (III and Ascension)
Grand Theft Auto Collection (IV & V)
inFAMOUS Collection (PS4 Remaster, not port)
Lost Planet Trilogy (1-3)
Mass Effect Trilogy (PS4 Remaster, not port)
Metal Gear Collection (MGS4: Guns of the Patriots and MGR: Revengeance)
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (Sigma 1, Sigma 2, and 3/3: Razor's Edge)
Prince of Persia Collection (2008 reboot and Forgotten Sands)
Prototype Collection (1 and 2)
Ratchet and Clank Future Trilogy (Tools of Destruction, A Crack in Time, and Into the Nexus)
Resident Evil series (5, 6, Operation Raccoon City, and Revelations)
Saints Row Quadrilogy (1-4)
Spider-Man Collection (Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time)
Silent Hill Collection (Homecoming and Downpour)
Splinter Cell Trilogy (Double Agent, Conviction, and Blacklist)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Collection (1 and 2)
Transformers Collection (War of Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron)
Uncharted Trilogy (1-3)

artemisthemp

artemisthemp said:

Their is a lot of great titles and I would like them all to remaster but if, I only could pick 1 from the list then it would have to be Ni no Kuni.

However HDN and Ar Tonelico Collection to PS4 would be like a dream come true.

SteveoKenobi

SteveoKenobi said:

I love Just Cause, very proud i got the Platinum in that game.. Would prefer to see Just Cause 3 but a PS4 upgrade of 2 would be fun.

Kezabien2

Kezabien2 said:

Personally I would love to see these games on PS4 (they’d all be day 1 purchases for me):

• Uncharted Trilogy
  • A “proper” Silent Hill Collection (including 2, 3, 4, Homecoming, Shattered Memories, Origins and Downpour)
  • A complete Devil May Cry Collection (including 1-4 and DmC)
  • Ico/Shadow of the Colossus
  • Resident Evil (Gamecube remake) and Zero
  • Final Fantasy XII
  • GTA V
blindndeaf

blindndeaf said:

the fallout series would be a good one for the four but im still hoping for something ive not played on the three sad that it may seem ive already played the decent games over the years and to death so I could not play them again

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

For me it'd be Ni No Kuni. The game's art style is great as it is, making it crisper, smoother, and fixing the AI is all it really needs. Giving it another chance to shine wouldn't hurt either, nor would another excuse to play it again.

Or better yet, how about that sequel?

MinerWilly

MinerWilly said:

@rjejr that's exactly what I was thinking, is it actually possible to make Rayman Legends or Ni No Kuni look any better as they're cartoons. Being a miserable git I know but I'd rather have no remakes just new games or sequels to those mentioned. I voted Mass Effect purely for selfish reasons as I never played those on PS3.

Midzark

Midzark said:

@charlesnarles what with ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE coming out June I don't think we will see this happen, would be nice the Graphics would be tasty on PS4!! :)

Midzark

Midzark said:

I'd like to see GTA V come out on PS4 and I'm hoping this might be the case coming E3 :p

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@Midzark but TESOnline is published by Bethesda, but the dev is Zenimax Online, not "Bethesda Game Studios" like the sp games, that's all. It could be the game we all get ourselves for xmas :)

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

I also forgot Ace Combat is begging for a killer comeback which could be remakes of 4, 5 and Zero, maybe even Joint Assault (teehee) and 6 which was only on xbox

TheWightMonk

TheWightMonk said:

None of the above, played the ones I wanted to play on ps3, I don't want gaming to go the same way as the movie indusrtry seems to be.....reboots and remakes.....I want to experience new stories and worlds when gaming ;)

fishwilson

fishwilson said:

Have to agree with above commenter. I want new games for new consoles. Remakes only if done like resident evil on GameCube, or console games ported to handhelds.