DualShock 4 Dimming Confirmed for PS4 Firmware Update 1.70

Lights out

Time is up for one particular eBay entrepreneur’s sticker creation business, as Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida has confirmed that you’ll be able to dim the DualShock 4’s light bar as part of upcoming PlayStation 4 firmware update v1.70. The monosyllabic mouthpiece affirmed the snippet on Twitter, stating that you will indeed be able to change the intensity of the illuminated panel.

The functionality was previously teased way back at the Game Developers Conference via GameTrailers TV host Geoff Keighley’s popular Twitter account, but hasn’t been mentioned in any subsequent patch notes for the forthcoming software refresh. The feature’s inclusion hints that there may yet be more secrets in the hotly anticipated update, then, which is set to deploy on 30th April. Huzzah.

[via twitter.com]

Carl-G

Carl-G said:

If it don't save any battery juice then it's pointless really(for me anyway) + Still waiting for a feature 'i' want still(fingers crossed and everything else) :D

baconcow

baconcow said:

The light is highly reflective on the glass of my plasma. Glad to see this feature.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

My neighbor never had any complaints and neither have I when playing his PS4, but at least this'll shut people up.

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

The light has never bothered me, but like the above, I find that I keep blinding my cat when she lays on my lap during gaming sessions.

hydeks

hydeks said:

If I had a ps4 (which I wish I did...), this wouldnt be a problem for me, cause my tv is on the wall :-) Good that their listening to everyone else, though.

Demi_God

Demi_God said:

usually and quite normally the TV is a little bit higher then where you sit. I don't see how people are getting the light reflecting on the glass unless the TV is really low, in fact that would be abnormally low.

No matter though, if Sony can make an update to dim it, they can make an update to turn it off. Why they won't let people turn it off is beyond my understanding as it makes no sense at all.

Midzark

Midzark said:

It's not bothered me, 1..My Tv is LED so the reflection is FA, 2.. It's now on the wall so there's nothing at all! :)

SniperSypher

SniperSypher said:

Never bothered me as I dont realy get a reflection off my led screen. What I need in an update is to be able to use my turtlebeach wireless headset wirelessly. I paid extra for wireless so unlock the feature sony

marti83

marti83 said:

I quite like the light, comes in handy after a long gaming shift and the night has creeped in lol, sony should work more on remote battery life, thats my one and only issue with the entire system..