UK Sales Charts: Dark Souls II Blocked from the Top by You Know What

Drop a titan on it

Xbox One and PC exclusive Titanfall unsurprisingly assaulted the summit of the UK sales charts this week, securing the biggest launch of the year so far. We can’t help but wonder if publisher EA’s pondering how big that debut could have been if it had actually opted to release the title on the PlayStation 4 as well.

Nevertheless, the sales of the first-person shooter were strong enough to block Dark Souls II from the summit, which entered in second. While it didn’t have the oomph to overcome the abovementioned next-gen outing, it still saw a 20 per cent increase in sales over its 2011 predecessor. Not bad at all.

Elsewhere, South Park: The Stick of Truth slipped into third, while The LEGO Movie Videogame and Thief rounded out the top five. Like the current Manchester United team, FIFA 14 tumbled down the table as a result, dribbling dismally into sixth. Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 fleshed out the top ten, as Killzone: Shadow Fall re-entered in 20th position.

As always, you can peruse the full list of movers and shakers through here. Next week should be significantly more exciting, as new stock of Sony’s next-gen super machine is set to arrive in the UK, alongside inFAMOUS: Second Son and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. What are you buying? Dust off your wallet in the comments section below.

[via chart-track.co.uk]

N711

N711 said:

inFAMOUS will become the biggest launch of the year next week ;)

@N711 Hmm, I don't think so. Titanfall has been marketed to high heaven here so it would have been a disaster if it didn't hit. I think inFAMOUS will do very well, but Metal Gear is also out, and there's no PC version of inFAMOUS.

N711

N711 said:

@get2sammyb yea didnt consider PC and 360 next week.. but surely best launch for a platform :) anyway all what matters to me is to get mine XD

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

I played titanfall at my friends house and I have to say it wasn't that bad but I don't think it's going to be the huge system sell MS are betting it will be after all why would you spend £400 for a game that will look and play better on a PC or play just as good on the 360 I know quite a few people who are waiting for the 360 version because they don't see the need to spend so much on a new system for a cross gen game

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

It would have bee. A whole lot closer if dark souls II was on ps4 xb1 too. The next month is going to be really interesting for hardware and software sales.

Shaolin

Shaolin said:

I am thoroughly chuffed for our Xbox gaming brethren and I hope that they enjoy Titanfall in every way possible. Greatness awaits for me and my fellow PlayStation fans as well, it's just that we have to be a little bit more patient.

To be fair it's difficult to compare Dark Souls II to Titanfall because they focus on completely different market segments. Titanfall is completely engineered for mass market appeal whereas Dark Souls II is much more narrowly aimed at the hardcore gamer. I agree with Sammy that it's more relevant to compare the early sales performance of Dark Souls II with its predecessor.

@FullbringIchigo The reasons for buying an Xbox One instead of a PC are the same as for opting for a PS4. Firstly, the convenience of a console is something that many people will happily pay a premium for. Whilst setting up a gaming rig might be easy for someone who has done it successfully, it can seem very daunting for others. With a console you pretty much just remove it from the box and plug in 2 or 3 cables and you're done. Secondly, it has already been reported that there are cheaters on the PC version who are using aimbots to really spoil the fun for their competitors. By contrast, console gaming represents a much more level playing field. Titanfall is apparently completely focused around competitive multiplayer because it doesn't have a single-player campaign so I can very much see how the enjoyment from better graphics on the PC version could be wrecked by cheaters therefore spoiling the overall gaming experience for some people. Just so everyone knows, I really don't want to incur the wrath of any PC master race people by stating these reasons because I also wish them all the best for their gaming but these are just a couple of the reasons why I choose PlayStation for my gaming needs.

LDXD

LDXD said:

Better sales doesn't mean better game also titan fall has no single player whatsoever where as dark souls can be played many different ways and keep most people interested for years if not decades
I know I'll be playing the souls series 10 even 20 years from now if I were to get titan fall in might hold me over for a few weeks or months to me its just another fps whereas dark souls 2 is unlike anything else on the market

banacheck

banacheck said:

Dark Souls II should have been number 1 for a few reasons, Titanfall is a very good game if your into FPS. But for £54.99 it's not really worth that price this just EA effing gamers over, the campaign is really just a mix of game mode's. You've not got a clue what's the campaign is about, there is only 3 Titan's all together which you unlock by finishing the campaign. There is nothing game mode wise new stuff like Last Titan Standing, Pilot Hunter etc, are game mode's you've played before if you've played COD. But Titanfall is very different to COD i'll say that, it's a lot more fast paced you also get burn cards which last for one life that'll speed you up even more so it's fast as well as different burn cards.Especially if you wallrun as well that also gives you a speed boost, you can wallrun across anything then you've got the Titan's themselves. So it's a very different game towards COD i'll give Respawn that, thay've done a very good job of it. But Dark Souls II should have been number one in my eyes, for £37.99 it has a load of gameplay plus replay value.

LDXD

LDXD said:

To me Titan fall is everything wrong with gaming, online only DRM looks like I'm going to have to scratch a few other games off my list like destiny, The division, and evolve I could be wrong but all these games are online only, its a shame because I was looking forward to them especially destiny. Is this going to be a new trend this generation? I sure hope not

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

I'd say of all the fps titan fall does look the most fun, cod is maybe best for realistic gameplay, killzone sf looks the best for me and bf4 is whack. I'm really looking forward to titan fall 2 on the ps4, hopefully it will be coming to ps4 unless of course EA has lost its marbles. They should sack off any dlc and just concentrate on the next title. Which I imagine they are doing. I have no intention of bothering with bf or cod in the future. Killzone and Titan Fall offer a lot more.

Shaolin

Shaolin said:

@banacheck @LDXD

It doesn't really make much sense to say one game is "better" than another when you're comparing different game genres.

Someone who isn't into RPGs might dislike Dark Souls II and someone that detests FPSs might not be keen on Titanfall. The question of which game is better doesn't even come into it because people are all different and choose the games that appeal to them. It's good that people are all different and interested in different games and it makes conversation between gamers more enjoyable. Enjoy your chosen games people and don't worry yourselves over which game is numbered 1 or 2 in the sales charts.

@SimonAdebisi Yes I'd also be happy to try out a Titanfall game if it ever made it to PS4. I'm not sure I'd be keen to see it turn into an annual thing with Titanfall 3, 4, 5, 6, and so on but hey I say live and let live.

banacheck

banacheck said:

@SimonAdebisi

Titanfall is a very good game but and here is the but, it's £54.99 & then you got to buy the DLC apart from that it's a vey good game. And like you said it's fun and different from COD & BF4, but it's pricey thats all.

@Shaolin
I'm into both RPG'S & FPS otherwise i wouldn't be playing Titanfall, but value for money Dark Souls II is king i can tell you that now. Now Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare is sort of the same like Titanfall being online mostly & FPS but for £34.99 it has far more value for money. You got the competitive multiplayer, 4-person co-op and the survival mode in slit screen, now if you sick of BF & COD Garden Warfare is definitely the game too get seeing as this might be coming too the PS4. Thay said Titanfall wouldn't be an annual thing, thay'll be adding DLC plus free DLC.

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

@banacheck titan fall is only £42 on xb1 from tesco. Probably cheaper elsewhere. Obviously season pass and gold membership or whatever it is you may need is extra rubbish though.

Shaolin

Shaolin said:

@banacheck

Oh thanks for letting me know that they said Titanfall wouldn't be an annual thing. By the way do you know who said that? Was it EA or the developers?

Regarding your opinion that Dark Souls II is king, I'm really happy that you prefer it to Titanfall, honestly I am but surely you can see that it wouldn't be anywhere near being king to someone who loves FPSs but can't stand RPGs or hated the first Dark Souls game (and believe me there are people who don't like Dark Souls II, just ask Sammy because he said he'd rather chew on a bucket of rusty nails LOL!). Terms like "king" or "better" are subjective according to who you're asking that's all.

The same goes for the value for money thing. Videogaming has never been a cheap hobby but you don't get card players saying that their standard deck of cards is better because of the value for money. Once again, it all comes down to player preference because if someone doesn't like RPGs or Dark Souls II then any money spent on it (even a tenner) could be seen as poor value for money.

Like I said before there is very little point in trying to measure up completely different games on features and even less point on the value for money proposition. If you prefer Dark Souls II to Titanfall simply be content with that and accept that others might prefer Titanfall. Live & Let live (my favourite motto).

banacheck

banacheck said:

It's ok, Respawn the dev's said that as thay don't want to split-up the players by doing annual release's, thats why thay are doing the DLC plus free DLC.

banacheck

banacheck said:

@banacheck titan fall is only £42 on xb1 from tesco.

I should have looked around first, but i do play a lot so it's worth it in the long run.

Shaolin

Shaolin said:

@banacheck

Oh that's good that it was Respawn who said it as I have much more faith in that. On balance it might be a good thing if we have to wait longer for a Titanfall game because you never know maybe they'll have the time to reconsider their game model and include a single-player campaign. Here's hoping X=

ToddlerNaruto

ToddlerNaruto said:

I have no interest in playing Titanfall myself, mainly because it's a FPS and exclusive to Xbox 1 and PC.

(our PC is too ancient/old, and I'd rather get a PS4 over a XB1 or newer PC anyways)

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@LDXD

My sentiments EXACTLY. I don't do online-only. It's nothing more than a ploy- it's a form of DRM, it forces you to have a PS+ subscription, and in some cases it's an excuse to cut out the single player campaign and just make it one big multiplayer match. Now, some online-only games might waive the PS+ requirement, and some might have online campaigns, but I'm still not biting. No offline campaign? No purchase.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@JaxonH right so titan fall in a few years or so will be nothing more than a piece of plastic or a downloaded game you use to play and the problem is so far we already have a few of these games like the division, destiny, evolve and who knows what else drive club maybe? I sure hope that online only isn't going to be this generations dlc!
If that's the case I don't see myself buying to many games and probably just go straight retro
One huge deciding factor for me when I buy a game I ask myself do I see myself playing this 10-20 years from now and if the answer is no then I won't buy the game I still play old nes games and I would hope when I'm an old man and my grandchildren are playing whatever the hell they're playing at the time I will still be playing some ps4 games from time to time

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@LDXD

Exactly. I buy a game, I wanna be able to play it forever. Even games like Monster Hunter that heavily focus on online, still have full offline, single-player campaigns. And the game will still be very much playable in 20 years' time. I'll make exceptions from time to time- say if, Phantasy Star Online 2 came to the west on Vita. Or maybe for FF14. But those games are of a genre that is meant to be online. Shooters, racers, and the like are perfectly capable of being played without the internet.