Talking Point: What Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue 24

A little bit of this, a little bit of that...

... It started with a kiss, and now we’re up to bat. Still, this isn’t the time for Santana songs, as we’ve got another glorious edition of ‘What Are You Playing This Weekend?’ to compile. Your usual guide Katy Ellis is taking time out this week following the conclusion of her educational endeavours, so you’re stuck with this squawking editor for a change. Let’s play the game of love.

Sammy Barker, Editor

You know a game’s good when you want to play it even after blitzing through a review, and Delsin Rowe’s still holding onto me with his tattooed forearms. I don’t think inFAMOUS: Second Son does much to push the open world genre forward, but I find the combat so much fun that I can’t stop playing the PlayStation 4 exclusive. I’m also hooked on the Angry Birds Trilogy on the PlayStation Vita. Don’t ask.

Robert Ramsey, Associate Editor

My Vita will likely be in a state of constant charge this weekend, as I hammer not one but two titles for review purposes. I'll be a tease and say that I'm not yet able to talk about one of them, but I'm happy to tell you that the other is all about a love story between a blitzball star and a doomed summoner. The title looks absolutely beautiful on the system's smaller screen, and the journey through Spira is just as engrossing as I remember.

Jamie O’Neill, Retro Editor

It could only be inFAMOUS: Second Son this weekend, and I particularly appreciated the song references in Push Square’s review, because when I think of Seattle, I think of music. To complement the game's setting, I’ll also immerse myself in some Sub Pop recordings, starting with Mudhoney's Superfuzz Bigmuff and Nirvana's Bleach. If the sombre tone of Diary by Sunny Day Real Estate sends Delsin into a darker mood, I’ll return Mr. Rowe to brighter karmic choices by listening to the Seattle band Sicko, and their uplifting pop-punk album You Can Feel the Love in This Room. [Amazing – Ed]

Brett Young, News Reporter

The majority of this weekend will be spent scaling buildings and shooting projectiles from my hands in inFAMOUS: Second Son. On the subject of projectiles, there will be plenty of them along with subsequent deaths, as my unabated love for the Psygnosis back catalogue continues with the wonderful Blood Money on the Amiga.

Edwin Garcia, News Reporter

Unfortunately, I won't have too much time for games this weekend because I'll be celebrating my birthday [Bashings incoming - Ed] with my family. Any spare time that I do have will be dedicated to becoming the hero that Seattle deserves, but not necessarily the one that it needs right now. Shameless Dark Knight quotes aside, inFAMOUS: Second Son has already consumed plenty of my free time, and pushing for the Platinum Trophy sure isn't helping me be productive with my life.

Kell Andersen, News Reporter

Konami has mercifully decided to postpone Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes for a week here in Australia, which means that I'll have the entire weekend to spend terrorising the streets of Seattle in inFAMOUS: Second Son. I'm joking, of course, I do not – and have never had – the cojones required to complete an entire playthrough of the series as a malicious anti-hero. So perhaps more appropriately, I will be spending my weekend using my diverse arsenal of badass superpowers to help little old ladies across the street.

Nicola Hayden, News Reporter

With my current backlog finally clear, it's time to dedicate all of my despair to Dark Souls II. While I have dipped my toes into the dark abyss, it's time to sink or swim – most likely the latter. If all of the constant dying gets too frustrating, I'm going to dabble in a bit of forbidden magic in The Witch and the Hundred Knight. I will have to raid a local game shop prior, but this is a quest that I will humbly accept.

Alex Stinton, Reviewer

The biggest game that I’ll be playing this weekend is deciding just which of the recent releases to fire up. With South Park: The Stick of Truth, Titanfall [Hmm? – Ed], Dark Souls II, inFAMOUS: Second Son, and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeros all vying for my attention, more time will be spent on this dilemma than actually playing anything. Maybe I need to phone a friend or ask the audience?

Ben Tarrant, Reviewer

This weekend, I’ve decided to take a chunk out of my incredibly large backlog by diving into Borderlands 2: Game of the Year Edition. I’m a big fan of RPG and first-person shooter games, so splicing the two together can only be a good thing. Sometimes that doesn’t work – as I found out with Baileys and 7UP one dark day – but thankfully the combination is brilliant here, and it’s high time that I re-familiarised myself with the universe considering the franchise’s impending venture onto the Vita. Plus, if you don’t believe the severity of my backlog, I have a copy of Dishonored still in its shrink-wrap from November last year.

Graham Banas, Reviewer

I'll be playing inFAMOUS: Second Son. A lot of it. And probably not a whole lot else for the foreseeable future. I don't see myself really wanting to put it down any time soon.

Joey Thurmond, Reviewer

As someone who has cosplayed as Cole MacGrath [Pictures or it didn't happen – Ed], you'd be absolutely right if you guessed that I'll be carving time out of my busy schedule to play inFAMOUS: Second Son. And if I miraculously have more free time, I'll be devoting it to Dark Souls II or Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.

Marcello Apostolico, Reviewer

This weekend, I plan on sneaking my way through a facility, making decisions about right and wrong, while firing arrows at pixelated characters. Anyone catch the three games mentioned all right there? Well, my main focus will be on TowerFall: Ascension, which I will be providing a review of. However, right after I've clocked in the proper time with it, I will be playing through Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, and, of course, the highly anticipated inFAMOUS: Second Son.

Mat Growcott, Reviewer

This weekend I'll be begging my wife to let me buy Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. If that doesn't work, I'll be sulking in a corner, banging my head against the wall of my cardboard box. Once I get bored – who could get bored with a cardboard box? – I'll be continuing my pilgrimage through Spira. Go Aurochs!

Simon Fitzgerald, Reviewer

This weekend is a big one. Sucker Punch has just released inFAMOUS: Second Son, and I will be sat on my door mat waiting in anticipation for Postman Pat to deliver the goods. Judging by our review of the game, I will not be able to put it down.

And we’re done. Of course, just because we’ve stopped yabbering, that doesn’t give you an excuse. What are you playing this weekend? Punch a response in the comments section below.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

I am playing all the side missions on Ground Zeroes (PS4), Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3) and Titanfall on my xb1 this weekend

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

A lot of great games getting played this weekend all around. This March has been kind.

ferrers405

ferrers405 said:

I'll be playing Professor Layton Azran Legacy for 3DS (just got out in US) and hopefully begin Okami HD for the PS3.

chazaroonie

chazaroonie said:

My pre-order of inFAMOUS: Second Son didn't arrive yesterday so I picked up Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes for £24 in Tesco which kept me entertained last night and this morning. Now my pre order has finally arrived I'm going into the world of Seattle to test out my smoke and neon powers for the rest of the weekend. :)

Play_It_Loud

Play_It_Loud said:

Still serching for the last chimpokomon, and wrapping up Dark Souls 1. I got part to waiting...So I hope to finish soon.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

lol tagline made me combine Shaggy with Fat Boy Slim in my head. I'm playing Civ 5 Brave New World, I:SS, MGS5, and the AC Ezio trilogy

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Well, I WOULD be playing Infamous and MGS on PS4 if I didn't have to wait for them to ship out. Oh well, next weekend I suppose.

PS4: nothing
Wii U: DKC Tropical Freeze (hitting those global leaderboards in time trials!)
Vita: Dead or Alive 5
3DS: Yoshi's New Island & Pokemon Battle Trozei

rjejr

rjejr said:

Wii Sports Club U. All 3 sports are free all weekend, can't pass up free.

kupo

kupo said:

inFAMOUS Second Son still hasn't arrived in the mail, so I'm playing inFAMOUS 2 again to get the good/canon ending. Being the good guy (in any game like this) is no fun...I can't believe that the majority of people play this way...

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

InFamous Second Son, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3 (PC) and... Golden Sun The Lost Age. And ofcourse some Pokémon X / Y and Fire Emblem: Awekening.

Splat

Splat said:

I'm about to give up on my never ending pursuit of the platinum for Diablo 3. I only need one more trophy but it's the pick up 5,000,000 gold one... It's taking forever!

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

Well I am going to be playing some World of Warcraft this week. I have a druid that I have been wanting to get to max level forever now and I am so close I can taste it lol. Also thinking that since the only two systems I have hooked up now are my Dreamcast and PS4 I might play some Crazy Taxi on my Dreamcast as well. Also getting the itch to play Diablo III again but if I do it will be the PC version since my 360 is packed up. Also I want to see how the PC version is now that they got rid of the RMAH.

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

Not a lot of time to play this weekend, but any time I have is devoted to infamous second son.

Jairo_MC

Jairo_MC said:

I'm playing Lightning Returns and Bravely Defautl. If I can get away from any of these titles, specially the super addictive BD, I'l be playing a non-RPG, such as Profesor Layton and the Azran Legacies or Deadpool.

DennisBor

DennisBor said:

I thought I would play InFamous all weekend, but I found it rather short. Going for Platinum on this one, so it will take some more time. After that: Killzone it is.

Madd_Hatter401

Madd_Hatter401 said:

Infamous second son.. I am surprisingly enjoying it! I handed the XB1 to my son so no titanfall, all second son this weekend.

Cowboysfan-22

Cowboysfan-22 said:

I'm pretty close to finishing Danganronpa: THH.. What an amazing story so far. I know something crazy is coming. Can't wait to be blown away.

Ps4all

Ps4all said:

Infamous Second Son alternating with legend of Zelda link between worlds.

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

Finished my first ever playthrough of Tearaway this evening. It was simply an amazing title that I would recommend to any Vita owner.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I've been playing inFamous: Second Son, great game, took me hours to even go beyond the first few missions due just messing around with side-missions. That play pure good or evil karma system is killing me though. I think I will actually be going back to a previous save because I didn't want to go all out in the evil direction, chose a good choice becuse the evil went .2 over what I wanted to do, so I chose good, then proceeded to wrestle with events in the game and the upgrade system revolving around karma.
Is there even a reason this article isn't called "So how fantastic has inFamous: Second Son been this weekend?" :P

Visiblemode

Visiblemode said:

Infamous is incredible! I love this game so damn much. Oh man. So yeah, it's what I'm playing.

All those on the fence, grab it, you won't regret it. Imo, the press has done it a disservice with many of their reviews.

seeafish

seeafish said:

Can't...stop....playing...infamous. The game is ridiculous. Not even doing missions, but rather just roaming around. The city is brilliantly layed out.
Also dipping in and out of KZ MP with the official PS forum guys... Only 135 drone buddy kills away from what will probably be one of my proudest platinums. Been a long journey, nearly done... Nearly done...

cherrypoppa

cherrypoppa said:

Kind of stoked that Ground Zeroes has been delayed here in New Zealand, get to spend all my free time playing Second Son, which by the way is soo much fun!!