Super Smash Bros. Director Stunned by PS4's Visual Prowess

"You often forget that you're playing a game"

Super Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai may bleed Nintendo, but that’s not stopped the legendary developer from praising the PlayStation 4. Writing in the latest issue of Famitsu magazine, the Project Sora founder admired Sony’s next generation system, stressing that its visual fidelity is sometimes so good that it can help you to forget that you’re even playing a game.

“[The] PS4 is good looking, the DualShock 4 is light and using it feels good, Remote Play can reliably handle even action games, and the network functionality is well done,” he said. “The machine’s power is another attractive factor; there is no loss of detail in the image, and it looks so natural that you often forget that you’re playing a game.”

Despite spending the majority of his career with the House of Mario, the Kirby creator stressed that he has no time for console wars, and that he’s looking forward to seeing what the future holds for Sony’s latest machine. “I hope that a masterpiece will come with bells tolling,” he concluded. “This is definitely not a period that will leave us without the possibility of playing rich games.” Let's hope not, eh?

[via famitsu.com, blog.hokanko-alt.com, gematsu.com]

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I read that Sakurai actually owns every PlayStation system, he owns a PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, PS Vita, and now a PS4.

eLarkos

eLarkos said:

This guy is the man. I wonder if hes slightly jealous of the power PS developers get to work with. I would love to see what he could do on the ps4

@CrazyOtto To be fair, I imagine most high-profile developers/executives own all systems. It's important to understand what the competition's doing, after all. You can guarantee that a number of Sony and Nintendo employees are playing Titanfall right now, for example.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

He created Kirby, huh? This guy is now officially in my Good Guy book, right next to Eiichiro Oda the creator of One piece.

eLarkos

eLarkos said:

@Dodoo Satoru Iwata was president of HAL laboratory but Sakurai was the man who actually created kirby (and the games).

Savino

Savino said:

Sony and nintendo should join forces in my opinion!!! Yeah.. I know it didnt worked ok in the past, but, come on... At least give it a try!

eLarkos

eLarkos said:

@BornOfEvil Hahah. Have you played it? Its a lot of fun. Similar fun to smash bros although completely different games. I have no idea how he does it. I actually find Kirby games to be pretty boring.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Guess he's never gamed on PC. That aside, Sony did a great job with their new machine, so it's good to see a non-Sony developer praising it.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Today's console wars are so lame compared to the Nintendo Sega rivalry. That one was much more fun

rjejr

rjejr said:

@get2sammyb - I just cant imagine Nntenod employees playing Titanfall. Well clerical workers and such stuck in cubicles all day, but nobody who really mattered. Sony employees yes, And they're all screaming "screw EA" while they're playing. Not on their PCs though apparently.

Well at least we know why SSB doesnt have a release date yet.

Savino

Savino said:

@XFsWorld
I never had an Xbox (an xbox or a xbox? Non native speaker, sorry!) but I really dont want it to die!

I mean, we need a console where 12 years old kids can play online and scream to each other!!! XD

Tsuzura

Tsuzura said:

@Unca_Lz
At the next E3 Sega announces the Dreamcast 2!

@fchinaski
I hope playing the PS4 didn't turn you into that :S

@get2sammyb
Why would they need a second one? People only play as Kratos and Raiden -_-
Here is a fun challenge for that game: Win 5 match in a row online without the "host" leaving and without running into Kratos or Raiden

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

I wouldnt mind for sony and nintendo to merge one day. They both get along well and create awesome games. Sony is trying hard to get the youngercasual crowd while Nintendo is somewhat trying to get the more adult crowds. The Wii U gamepad with a lightbar on the front hooked up to a PS4 would be extremely sick.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

If only the fanboys of all three console makers could admit to trying and liking games by the other companys. Life would be so much more enjoyable.

WickedKnightAl

WickedKnightAl said:

Anyone notice how Sony and Nintendo are always complimenting each other? How often do MS execs pay the same respect?

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Unca_Lz
Tell me about it. At least back then many of us actually WERE kids, so fans getting a little er...overzealous had a slightly different tone. The "that game/console/ect. is kiddie" and similar arguments were also somewhat more appropriate since most kids go through that stage.

I like Sakurai's stance on 'em, too bad more people don't realize that not even the people responsible for their beloved hobby behave in such a manner, but rather the opposite.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@WickedKnightAl

You must not follow the Xbox team on twitter. The ID at Xbox posted a picture saying they couldn't stop playing braverly default. Major Nelson talks about Nintendo games on the what's playing section of his podcast as well.