Roguelike Card Game Hand of Fate Draws Up Its Hand on PS4 and Vita

Posted by Kell Andersen

Believe in the heart of the cards

Indie studio Defiant Development has recently announced on the PlayStation Blog that its fantasy card game Hand of Fate will be making its way onto the PlayStation 4 and Vita. Originally funded on Kickstarter, the title is described by its creator's as a "tabletop roguelike deck builder" that blends "tabletop card gaming and video game magic." You'll stalk your way through randomly generated dungeons, all the while fighting monsters with your specifically designed deck.

We're liking the sound of this one, because while real life competitive card games are good fun, the thought of having to organise and manage all those individual bits of cardboard gives us the willies. Which, in truth, is the beauty of turning the collectible craze into video games; you trade tactility for ease of use. What's more, this particular title is also a roguelike, which means that it has the potential for absurd replay value.

While no concrete release date has been announced, the PC version is set to launch sometime early in 2014, and we doubt the Sony version will be too far behind. What do you make of this roguish roguelike? Do you see success in its future, or is it just not in the cards? Draw up in the comments section below.

[via blog.us.playstation.com]

k_andersenStaff

k_andersen said:

Full disclosure: The studio making this game is from my hometown of Brisbane, so its entirely possible that anything I write about it will be dripping with nepotism.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

I'm slightly saddened by the fact that I know what the tagline refers to.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@k_andersen I was a fan in my youth, but I look back now and I'm not particularly happy about it. The Abridged version, on the other hand, is superb!

k_andersenStaff

k_andersen said:

@ShogunRok Honestly, I'm not brave enough to go back and watch it - I know I'll be disappointed. You're right, though, the abridged version is still honestly one of the funniest things on the internet :D

Shellybird27

Shellybird27 said:

@k_andersen I've been rewatching it in Hulu, but it could be my nostalgia talking, but i enjoy it. I know, IT'S INCREDIBLY CHEESY, but it's fun to watch(in my opinion).