PS4 Exclusive DriveClub Not Dinged by Evolution Studios Layoffs

Project's paintwork still pristine

The confirmation of layoffs at Sony first-party outfit Evolution Studios earlier today left most racing aficionados fearing the worst for the MotorStorm creator’s inaugural PlayStation 4 outing, DriveClub. Fortunately, a spokesperson for SCEE has confirmed that the title is still very much on track, and won’t be affected by the platform holder’s latest round of redundancies.

It’s currently unclear how many staff have been impacted by the Japanese giant’s decision to “restructure” three of its major British developers, but we do know that London Studio, Guerrilla Cambridge, and the abovementioned Runcorn-based outfit were all hit with job losses as part of the process. Whether any major projects were scrapped is not yet known either.

Regardless, it looks like the road to release continues to be rocky for the firm’s first PS4 exclusive racer. Having been delayed mere weeks before the arrival of the manufacturer’s next-gen system, we haven’t heard much about the game since. Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida confirmed last week that it won’t be compatible with Project Morpheus, but additional information is scarce.

We had originally expected the title to deploy at the start of the year, but it looks like it’s still got a long way to go yet. Is your interest in the high-octane affair starting to fizzle out, or is your anticipation for the game keeping your internal engine ticking over? Join our fashionably late club in the comments section below.

[via videogamer.com]

@Big-Boss We don't really know. There's been some speculation that the social stuff that they're planning wasn't finished, but the delay seems to have been huge. Considering they were originally targetting November, it seems like we've been waiting forever.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I'm still excited for DriveClub and I had a feeling that it was still alive. I think that hype for the game has died down only because Evolution has been so tight lipped, but that can all change with a simple push of the share button.

KAPADO

KAPADO said:

It brings... our beloved Sony is smelling a lot like a new world Microsoft.
Thank the gods we still have naughty dog, sucker punch and Santa Monica.
ready at dawn better strike hold with The Order or else

KAPADO

KAPADO said:

Phil Harrison once called evolution studios the worst developer under the Sony umbrella.

gr8apeb8

gr8apeb8 said:

Delay, layoff. These two words were not the ones I wanted Sony to trumpet every couple of weeks. Still happy with my purchase of the PS4. Hopefully these choppy waters are behind them by summer. Driveclub is still exciting, though that excitement is being watered down by the bad news every other week.

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

Hopefully the project will come together in the end. Someday when I decide to get a PS4 I want this to be one of the first titles that I play on it.

T7L3R

T7L3R said:

I'm still super excited for this game. I was really disappointed that the game was delayed and wish there was more info coming out about it. Kinda has me worried but I'll probably still be a day one adopter. Somebody has to test the waters.

N711

N711 said:

Was supposed to come out in the summer lately (before IGN 'interviews')

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@KAPADO

That's probably a bit unfair, aside from the last Motorstorm game, the other ones were all pretty good. That said, Evolution is definitely not close to being in the same class as Polyphony. Hopefully the latter will have GT 7 ready by Nov. 2016 at the latest. That's when we'll finally get a real next-gen driving game.