How Do Watch Dogs' Visuals Fare on Actual PS4 Hardware?

Not quite as woof

There’s been some negativity surrounding Ubisoft’s sandbox thriller Watch Dogs of late. While the French publisher tapped into the anticipation of almost every gamer at E3 a couple of years back with the title’s initial reveal, the graphics in the release’s most recent trailer couldn’t compare to that lofty target render.

Perhaps sensing a bit of a backlash, the firm released the embedded Rockstar-esque ‘Welcome to Chicago’ footage late last week, which shows off its open world environment in a much more positive light. And creative director Jonathan Morin has since confirmed that the entire clip was captured using a PlayStation 4 devkit, meaning that it should be indicative of the final product.

While it does look a lot better than the hack happy escapade’s re-reveal video, we can’t help but feel that it seems a little static compared to the original pitch. When the title was first announced, the publisher promised dynamic wind systems and moving foliage, but very little of that is noticeable in this trailer.

Still, the density of non-playable characters does look impressive, and that’s helping to make the urban sandbox feel alive. Our expectations for the adventure may have dipped, but we’re still eager to see how it actually plays. Are you planning to take a break in Chicago? Hack together some text in the comments section below.

[via twitter.com, eurogamer.net]

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

Much like black flag on the ps4 the setting was nice and the graphics were good but it wasn't great And neither is this. It was bound to happen with big companies that rely on cross gen sales.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

I think the hype has really hurt this game fan expectations were built up so high by Ubisoft but the end result looks rather disappointing at this point I don't even know if I want the game anymore.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Ground Zeroes is cross-gen but is also a real looker on PS4 and X1, Ubisoft has no excuse for this.

Bad-MuthaAdebisi

Bad-MuthaAdebisi said:

@Gamer83 yeah, I just think they tried to do too much and ended up with a mess. I'll still be playing it but I'll probably rent it. The online multiplayer looks like trash.

N711

N711 said:

It really looks great. Many comments about the game being 'next gen' were just fantasy in the first place as its cross gen and people should have kept that in mind.
Should be awesome and I pre ordered it of course.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

I think the game looks good. Not saying there was no backwards step from E3, but I do think that the "downgrade" cries going round the traps are highly overstated.

Certainly looks better than GTA V, maybe not quite as good as Infamous SS. Was always going to be the case with a cross-gen game. Some of the comparisons were just silly though, comparing night vs day and rain vs shine etc.

Personally I can't wait. Day one.

Dodoo

Dodoo said:

Ubisoft really shouldn't have shown a version that looked so damn good on its reveal.

This video looks like a real mix of some good, some bad. Overall it definitely needs some polish if you ask me.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

If PS4 version looks like this....i wonder what the WiiU version will look like.

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

Who gives a damn about the graphics? I'm just hoping for a new Ubisoft IP that has a better narrative than what AC has become.

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

I don't know why 'Fan boy' has to be thrown in top it. Nobody is being a fanboy, just an ol' fashioned graphics vs. gameplay debate.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

Looks pretty good, especially the lighting. Unfortunately I'll be stuck with the PS3 version, so I won't be able to enjoy it.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

To be totally honest it doesn't look like much of a jump from GTAV on PS3, but obviously it's best to hold back the judgement until the game is out.

As for the trailer banging on about how dynamic the world will be — we hear this all the time and it's never accurate. I seriously doubt there'll be something to do 'around every corner'. I can't think of an open world game that's actually delivered on all of its promises before.

KillTheG1mp

KillTheG1mp said:

I think it looks alright but it's all about the gameplay and the story for me so, I'll wait for the reviews before deciding on buying it or not.

The E3 reveal looked better though but I think what hurts the game is the footage shown is almost during daylight and every colour looks saturated which does a stark contrast with previous footage.

N711

N711 said:

@Reverandjames Yea I dont like the fashionable 'fanboy'. 'tool' and whatever people throw at one another usually used by same so called 'fanboys' anyway.
The first reveal was PC footage I dont know why people always take that reference. And yea graphics are important as Second Son proved it enhances the gameplay as well. Not defending the game but it sounds like a huge content and some of it is better looking and some of it not as good looking. Sounds great to me anyway.

AhabSpampurse

AhabSpampurse said:

Any e3 reveal that's demoed in stage in a scripted scenario, should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

ivanmata

ivanmata said:

Developers need to learn when to announce their games, I've lost interest in this due to its delays, I can say the same for Driveclub, I won't preorder this, I'll look at some reviews first.

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

@ShogunRok I think the only game for me which delivered on all it's promises was Red Dead Redemption. I watched those videos over and over in preparation, and it didn't dissapoint.

@N711 Ubi said Watchdogs is about 30-40 hours long didn't they? Infamous looked amazing, but took me about 10 hours to 100% it. Not worth £50 in my opinion. Watch dogs may not look quite as good, but is looking to have way more content for your money.

banacheck

banacheck said:

For a cross gen open world game the graphics are alright, thay are still tweaking the resolution on all platforms.

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

I don't care about the graphics...I cared about the potential the game had, it's open play style and the ability to effectively create your own experience based on choices made. It always seemed to be a massively ambitious affair and certainly would have fared better if it had focused on next gen systems. As it is the graphics look fine to me, certainly not achingly beautiful but they work well enough. It's the game I wanted the PS4 to play...I hope it turns out to be worth playing.

Thrash13

Thrash13 said:

@Ginkgo I agree. I think the trailer released last week was pretty darn impressive. Maybe my standards aren't as high as some, but my hype level went up after seeing the latest trailer. This game wasn't really on my radar previously, but it is now.

Epic

Epic said:

In the end is all about gameplay, if it looks nice and doesn't have any framedrops everything will be alright :D

eLarkos

eLarkos said:

In my parts of the world a dog can say woof or ruff. Ruff might have worked a bit better for the tag line ;)