Assassin's Creed: Unity Drops a Heavy Blade on PS4 This Holiday

Oui, s'il vous plaît

Rather than offer a casual no comment, Ubisoft has responded to rumours regarding Assassin’s Creed: Unity by confirming the release for the PlayStation 4. Clearly not intending to announce the title quite so early, the publisher has deployed some alpha footage of the next-gen exclusive sequel. Given the firm’s track record, we guess that means that it’ll get downgraded before the title officially arrives later this year.

“We have been working on the new Assassin’s Creed for more than three years, and although we weren’t quite ready to show you our full vision for a next-gen only Assassin’s Creed, it seems that Abstergo are trying to force our hand,” a press release from the company said. “So here’s a true first look at in-game footage from Assassin’s Creed: Unity. Stay tuned – we’ll have many more exciting details for you in the months ahead.”

The video appears to corroborate this week’s rumour, which suggested that the title will take place in 18th-century Paris during the French revolution. The fact that the follow-up isn’t coming to the PlayStation 3 also appears to indicate that there’ll be a second game for older systems, which is apparently codenamed Comet. Whether that will follow the same storyline remains to be seen. What do you make of this sneak peek? Gesticulate like Thierry Henry in the comments section below.

[via youtube.com]

That video looks gorgeous, but I don't believe Ubisoft anymore. The setting and period doesn't really appeal to me, but I'll remain open minded. Not sure I can go back to playing an Assassin's Creed that's just stealth and stabbing, especially after the brilliant Black Flag.

rjejr

rjejr said:

So is this AC5, or is PS3 getting AC5? Or will they be AC5a and AC5b w/ Vtia getting AC5c?

Looks nice, reminded me of Uncharted 2.

AVahne

AVahne said:

I'm guessing Wii U won't be getting this...or any AC game anymore for that matter since Watch_Dogs will be their last game for Wii U until sales start picking up...if they ever pick up that is.

Dodoo

Dodoo said:

Looks gorgeous but then so did Watch Dogs once!

No doubt it will look like a PS2 game once it's released! hehe.... ;)

Punished_Boss

Punished_Boss said:

When will the inevitable downgrade occur? Presuming this isn't PC footage (Very likely).

I'm not even joking.

thedevilsjester

thedevilsjester said:

@charlesnarles except it means that anyone choosing to leave last gen behind, misses out on one of the games even though we got the previous one. For me that would spell the end of my interest in this franchise.

Punkinhead145

Punkinhead145 said:

Looks interesting. Being a history buff, I love seeing when they place the story and revolutionary France actually peaked my interest. I'll see how I feel after I play ACIV.

spyro202

spyro202 said:

@N711 I see what you did there... 13 (treize in french) interessant. Très intéressant... Got you there, trying to pun.

goonow

goonow said:

Holy crap! They finally changed the game engine! I totally didnt expect that cause AC is a yearly game franchise. Its a night and day difference, which is what you expect, but its still amazing.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

Almost time we left behind ex-gen( says a proud possessor of a overly used Dark Souls 2 machine who doesn't have a PS4. Yet.)
I see next gen visuals, at last.
Will i see next gen gameplay as well?
Here's hoping.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

@get2sammyb The graphics look gorgeous, so the possibility of roaming around in that city really excites me. But yeah, time will tell if the final cut maintains that level of detail. Still they are clearly planning to push things in a next-gen only title.

How could you not like the French revolution though as a setting? I think it will be fantastic to return to Europe. I do agree that its hard to imagine going back to an AC without the ship battles. They will need to add some new stuff.

Shellybird27

Shellybird27 said:

I recently learned French Frevolution in school, so this will be neat. I love AC as a history buff!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I like history, but I never cared for the french revolution. This was a franchise that I thought really needed shaking up, and going from pirates to this is nothing but a step back in my mind...

Obviously I have to wait for actual gameplay news, but my excitement has been tempered.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

So many other periods they could have picked over the French revolution oh well I'm pretty burnt out on the series right now anyway.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I'll take a wait-and-see approach to this release. I'd be a little more skeptical of it because Watch Dogs PS4 looks like complete crap but the AC team did a great job with the 'next-gen' version of Black Flag so they deserve benefit of the doubt.

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

Not appearing on the Wii U, I see. I can only imagine the fire-storm that will be the comment section over at Nintendo Life. How dare Ubisoft focus on consoles that actually sell well.

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

Never been interested in this series. Played the first few minutes of Black Flag when my mate brought it round, but didn't think much of it. Will pass on this as I have all the others.