You'll Use the PS4 Controller's Touchpad for Morse Code in The Order: 1886

Beep beep

Given the wealth of technological riches at the fingertips of the Victorian heroes in The Order: 1886, it’s a surprise that protagonist Galahad and crew don’t whip out iPhones in order to communicate in battle. Alas, a slew of previews for the upcoming PlayStation 4 exclusive have pointed out that you’ll instead use Morse code, which you’ll operate using the next generation system’s touchpad.

With the developer still keeping much of the release shrouded in fog, it’s not yet clear how prominent this mechanic will be – but numerous sites stress that the feature was used to send out a signal to overhead zeppelins in a 20 minute gameplay demo shown to the press. It seems that tapping out the right sequence will call in air support, which should prove handy in your battle against the half-breeds.

We’re secretly hopping that the blips and bleeps will be accompanied by flashes on the DualShock 4’s light bar, as that could actually rival Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition’s ostentatious implementation of the illuminating surface when you wield Lara Croft’s super useful torch. What do you make of this intriguing addition? .-.. . - / ..- ... / -.- -. --- .-- .-.-.-

[via psu.com]

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

It sounds like a great use of the touchpad and I'd love it if the lightbar flashed while sending out a message, it could look really awesome.

SimonAdebisi

SimonAdebisi said:

Seems a bit pointless to me, dots and dashes can be utilised using R3. I'd prefer if it was used to open stuff, doors windows draws etc and the speed you swipe correlates to actions on screen, I'd love to slam a window on an enemy.

iSolipsistJudas

iSolipsistJudas said:

I'm actually still waiting to use the touchpad b/c so far I've been using it as the start/pause button honestly.

PSN: iSillyBoi Judas

rjejr

rjejr said:

I thought of a number of useless gratuitous uses for the touchpad when it was first announced but morse code wasn't one of them. What's the difference between clicking the pad as opposed to any face button? Not saying it isn't a good to make use of the pad since it's there, but that isn't the same as making good use of the pad that can only be done on the pad.

gbanas92Staff

gbanas92 said:

This is genuinely fantastic! I think we're starting to get to the point where the touch-pad is going to be used for progressively cooler things now that we're almost out of the launch window!

iSolipsistJudas

iSolipsistJudas said:

@get2sammyb yea I think that navigating a lot of the menus with the arrow buttons L3 stick should be the same with the touchpad as well. Hopefully this comes in an update very soon

Munkyknuts

Munkyknuts said:

It was a surprise to me that the touch pad couldn't be used to navigate the web browser since it works much like the pad on a laptop. So far all I've really used it for is commanding the drone in Killzone and zooming the camera in Outlast. It's true that any button could be used for sending the morse in the order but at least they are using it for something interesting. It could well be that the touch pad never has anything more than a gimmicky use...I hope it's not the case tho.