There Are More Developers Working on PS4 Than Any Other Console

Posted by Finlay Milligan

Teacher's pet

This week just keeps getting better and better for the PlayStation 4. With Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima proclaiming that the system is the "best console" currently available and Sony revealing that it has already sold over five million units, figures have now been released that show that a whopping one-in-five developers are working on a product for the firm's latest machine.

In a recent survey published by Games Industry.biz, an incredible 20 per cent of the 2,600 attendees at last year's Game Developers Conference admitted that they intend to release their next game on the Japanese giant's uber-popular platform. That's more than any other competing format, with 17 per cent planning projects for the Xbox One, 14 per cent the PlayStation 3, 12 per cent the Xbox 360, and just four per cent the Nintendo Wii U.

The support is clearly a sign that console gaming in general is alive and kicking, but it also shows that the development community considers the PS4 to be the best home for its software. Are you excited to see what's in store for the system? Shout loudly in the comments section below.

[via gamesindustry.biz, vg247.com]

Punkinhead145

Punkinhead145 said:

I hopped onto NintendoLife earlier today (it's been a long time for me) and I saw this statistic, only they were a bit more gloomy about it. I feel bad, really.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Can't really be too excited. There's lots of developers making games, great, lets see some of them, and I'm not talking about the indie and digital only content.

Axel210

Axel210 said:

@Gamer83 In agreement with you there. I hate being told there is almost 100 games in development but we somehow get a game we already got free on ps3 free on ps4 next month (Dead Nation rumour). It's a little strange to be teased so much but have your loyalty feel pointless. Very few original games on ps4 (I know it's early) but i still managed to go back to my vita and ps3 more than I have played my ps4. Although I don't have much of a love for multiplayer so it's kind of my own fault. Bring on South Park and Infamous, then I think i'm sorted, the wait is driving me up the walls though.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Well written piece, I cant find anything technically wrong with it, you choose your words well, but while you come to the conclusion that this bodes well for the PS4 perhaps had you mentioned the 50% PC and 50% mobile the opposite conclusion could have been reached, that "apps" are killing real games. So as I said, well written. Statistics can be usef to convince people of anything.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Axel210

Sequels or new IPs, doesn't really matter to me, I just want something that isn't an indie game or a year late cross-gen port. I'm definitely looking forward to Thief, hopefully it's good and will help make the wait to inFamous: Second Son easier.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I wonder what those statistics are if you take out developers that use iOS as their main bread and butter. I think that would be more indicative of what developers are developing games as we would think of them. Pretty near that PS4's on top though.

IronManDS

IronManDS said:

That's great news, to me. The ONLY thing that PS4 needs is a GUI overhaul. I despise it....

Shaolin

Shaolin said:

Whilst I agree that quantity of games under development isn't the be all and end all it can't hurt right? Hopefully, the greater the number of devs working on PS4 titles the more likely that some of those titles will be great. Even if it only turns out to be a handful of them that are good that would be absolutely fine by me.