Square Enix Will Only Remake Final Fantasy XII if We Shout

Posted by Kell Andersen

Shout, shout, let it all out

While many fans consider Final Fantasy X to be the pinnacle of the long running JRPG series, there is an equally vocal group of devotees who would argue that Final Fantasy XII deserves the top spot. In truth, they're both wrong, as Final Fantasy Tactics has been scientifically proven by numerous experts to be the best game in the franchise.

Regardless of which side you support, though, we can all agree that a remake of the twelfth mainline title – in the vein of Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster – would be a positive outcome for all. If nothing else, it would be an absolute treat to witness the classic title's incredibly intricate hair physics rendered in stunning high definition.

What's more, Square Enix may even consider such a remaster, but only if we're vocal with our desires. "If there are a lot of requests from the fans for a HD re-mastered version of Final Fantasy XII, we might consider it," producer Shinji Hashimoto stated in an interview with SG Café. "But with that said, at this moment there are no plans to do so.”

In other words, we should probably be starting a petition right about now. Would you be keen to revisit Ivalice, or are you impervious to the popular series' proclivity for perplexing systems? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via sgcafe.com, novacrystallis.com]

k_andersenStaff

k_andersen said:

@FullbringIchigo I'm a pretty big fan of 9 as well. It's probably the least angsty, which is why I love it so much. That said, 8 does have gunblades , which are a pretty strong contender for the best thing ever.

Itachi

Itachi said:

I thought FF 12 was really good and would love to see a new one in that world. But my question is why won't square make a remake of Final Fantasy 7? "Square Enix Will Only Remake Final Fantasy XII if We Shout" There's been no other FF game that's received more noise to the point of begging and pleading than Final Fantasy 7. Has square lost the rights to that entry or something? I just can't understand why avoid it, I would love to see FF 8 remade too. It's almost like their doing remakes to all the Final Fantasy's except for the ones people really want.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

@k_andersen true gunblades are cool but then again FFVI had a lightsaber (well it was called Atma weapon but we all know it was a lightsaber) and I don't think anything will top that

apart from putting a Keyblade in a FF game

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

@Itachi the problem is everyone wants it remade for nostalgia and once it's remade because it won't be the same as the original people will hate it so why take the risk, plis it would cost a hell of a lot to do

and to be honest I would rather they finish the story that started in DoC and leave FFVII as it is, give us new games and leave the old classics alone

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

@k_andersen This is a thing we can do without.

I kid though. In all honesty I think it would be pretty good as the game had its fans, and I would buy it to support Square. I can't see myself playing through all that again though.

RawShark

RawShark said:

Let's all just leave FFVII alone. DoC and Advent Children were terrible.

I'd love a XII remaster as I sadly never got round to finishing it on PS2. But surely no one actually though X was the pinnacle of the series? It was decent, don't get me wrong, and X2 was a really good laugh at times, but after the superlative VIII and IX it seemed like a jump backwards, in a gameplay mechanic sense anyway.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

PLEASE YES, @RyoHazuki means.
You can already get the PS1 FFs on ps3, PSP, and Vita, so please do let us have 10 and 12 on the go too! FF 4-12 (not 11 duh) in your pocket would rule.
Remaking ps1 games is completely different from an HD remaster (Twin Snakes vs HD collection). I'd definitely buy 12 HD!!!!!

Gemuarto

Gemuarto said:

Someone should buy Square Enix and put their properties in good use. Because it looks like Final Fantasy is too heavy for them.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

OMG, yes, do it. Now! Yesterday!
I mean, do it! Yes.
Please!
Where do i sign?
FF XII on my Vita? Yes.

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

@charlesnarles meh, the franchise is far too hit n miss for me to take it seriously. If they dumped the past, ditched the Roman numerals, stop re hashing games and upgrading stuff for no apparent good reason then maybe I'd dive back in.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

I'd love to play through FFXII again in HD - especially on Vita. My only real gripe with the game was Vaan. Such a boring, generic main character, especially when he was put side by side with the likes of Balthier and Basch.

SuperSilverback

SuperSilverback said:

Vaan wasnt even a main character. Hes kinda like a bystander watching the actual main characters story unfold! Great game tho, loved the hunts

Grieva

Grieva said:

I'd love it. I have 7,8 and 9 on my vita already, to remake those would ruin the feel of those games. I'm already getting 10's remaster. Where do I sign?

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Personally, I vote they quit making new ones after 15 (lol, AFTER 15, as if that day will ever come), and just focus on doing remakes for the rest of eternity. We'd be better off, and so would they ;)

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Itach
Not sure if it was official or not but from my understanding its because they'd have to do such a major overhaul of the game to do a remake of a game like FFVII. I'd be really expensive and being such so critically acclaimed the expectations for it would be near impossible. Just imagine the outrage if they screwed up, or worse if fans learned the hard way its not as good as they remember.

artemisthemp

artemisthemp said:

Fans have been asking for a HD version of Final Fantasy VII for years and yet Square Enix haven't begun working on it (Officially).

Then again FFXII been PS2 means it's a little harder to play it, since all PS3 from G3 Fat haven't supprt it

darkampharos666

darkampharos666 said:

I want a final fantasy 12 remake so badly, I have spoken to so many of my friends and they all want this to.

tyger12331

tyger12331 said:

Re Make final fantasy 12 it was the best final fantasy of all time and i loved it, sadly i can no longer play it on my ps2 because my little brothers scratched it so now i gotta buy a new one /: but i would love to see it remastered on ps3 graphics would be stunningly amazing

shiningv67

shiningv67 said:

Of course they should remake FFXII. For a lot of reasons. First, to get a chance to play the final International version which didn't make it to North American PS2. Second, this game had so much detail in it that was lost due to the poor resolution of the PS2 or the output to regular TV screens. And third, that's my personal one, I learned about the freakin' Zodiac Spear only after I had opened half of the forbidden chests and never had the heart to start a new adventure after I finished it once. Gimme HD and I'll play it again. But do it for the PS3, I won't buy a PS4 for just one game.

dbentzjr

dbentzjr said:

XII is by far the most fun and time consuming ff game to date (imho). I could do without the new Zodiac system though, I played the NA original version and beat it 3 times and am working on the 4th. The game would definitely sell. I've been to forums, and the only people who do not like this game are the pansies too scared to play it because of the hunts and hour plus long boss fights. The battle system is great, and I love the exploration. The ability to play this game anywhere AND in HD? Yes please!!! I would buy this immediately!!!