Poll: Is Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes Worth the Price on PS4?

Much more than a packet of cigs

Few franchises are big enough to fashion a furore out of demos, but Metal Gear Solid has always existed among the select few properties that can. When a clever Konami opted to bundle the opening moments of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty with new property Zone of the Enders, many purchased the latter just to see Solid Snake sneaking around in the rain. Next month, the Japanese publisher’s attempting to play a similar trick – except with Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, you don’t get an entire extra game.

The length of Hideo Kojima’s prologue has been the subject of much debate over the past few weeks, with the media and developers heatedly disputing the scope of the product. One particular preview clocked the length of the core mission at little over 90 minutes, while others have been keen to point out that the completion percentage after that amount of investment barely touches double figures. The abovementioned auteur himself believes that the title is all about replayability, with ranked side missions on offer to keep you occupied.

We won’t know just how big the package really is until it releases next month, but the company has clearly been spooked by the slightly negative feedback. Earlier this week it announced that it was reducing the price of the PlayStation 4 version by a significant margin, bringing it down to £29.99/$29.99 regardless of whether you purchase the digital or physical edition. A current-gen copy will cost you the same sum in a box, but you will be able to get the game cheaper if you buy it digitally for the PlayStation 3, as it will run you £19.99/$19.99 there.

The reduction has prompted the package to shoot up the pre-order charts at most major retailers, with outlets such as Amazon and ShopTo showing it in their top ten. Has it had an impact on your purchase intent, though? With the release of the spruced up stopgap due out imminently, we thought that it would be an ideal opportunity for you to discuss your feelings on the title. Has the price drop for the PS4 version twisted your arm? Are you willing to buy anything with Big Boss on the cover? Do you think that the length seems reasonable? Step out of your cardboard box, fill out our survey, and share your thoughts in the comments section below.

Are you planning to buy Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes? (74 votes)

Yes, I’ve already pre-ordered my copy

34%

Hmm, I want it, but I’m waiting for it to get cheaper

38%

No, it’s too expensive for what you get

28%

Please login to vote in this poll.

What do you think would be the ideal price range for the game? (80 votes)

Less than £9.99/$9.99

15%

Anywhere between £10.00/$10.00 and £19.99/$19.99

55%

Anywhere between £20.00/$20.00 and £29.99/$29.99

28%

I’d pay over £30.00/$30.00

Please login to vote in this poll.

Would you like to see more standalone prologues for sequels? (82 votes)

Yes, as long as they’re reasonably priced

29%

Er, I don’t really know

16%

No, I’d really rather buy the full game

55%

Please login to vote in this poll.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I wouldn't buy this. It just seems wrong on so many levels. If they are having problems w/ money they should just fund the project thru kicksarter. And if they do want to sell the game piece by piece or chapter by chapter as some games do, then each piece should be $15. Also I'm thinking Greatest Hits - which will be advertised as the definitive edition of Phantom Pain - includes this for $40.

FYI - we don't use "fags" in the US. Well Eminem does, but it's not for cigarettes. TBD is gonna ban your account ;-) Do you guys really use "packet" instead of "pack"? Packet sounds gay.

DHW

DHW said:

Just like Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus, MGS V will be a short, replayable adventure. Might be only 5 hours, but those might be the best 5 hours in MGS ever.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@rjejr lol Idk why anyone would preorder other than pure monetary support of Kojima Productions so the real/next game is better. That's why I did when it was $40. It's probably gonna be a small rip-off content-wise, but they're obviously trying to raise money for something good in the future

Carl-G

Carl-G said:

It's still £23.86 at ShopTo.Net(UK)(it was the Disc version after all. The ShopTo APP is so confusing when you try & order a game on it) :-/ & i think it's worth it at that price + Full PS4 games cost to much anyway. I will NOT buy a PS4 game for over £35. Sorry SONY. I will just have to wait a few months until the games i want get cheaper(well like i did with the PS3/2&1) :D

• 1 minute of a Kojima's game is better than most full games anyway :P
ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

I've only played Metal Gear Solid 1...so being a little behind, I don't think this even interests me right now.

ivanmata

ivanmata said:

I'll wait for the full game if they do not reduce the price even more, I would pay 15 dollars for it... no more than that for 2-5 hours of gameplay....

ObviouslyAdachi

ObviouslyAdachi said:

I think this whole thing is ridiculous. I understand completely if you buy a game just for the story or just for the multiplayer- but just for SIDE MISSIONS? That's crazy. You don't buy a game for the side missions. This should be DLC for a full game.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

why are people so caught up on it being 2 hours minimum (as you have many ways to play the game) also £30 isn't bad many have paid more for just as much or less even (like a COD single player campain, not counting multiplayer here as GZ doesn't have it so from a single player perspective)

I'm happy with the price of Ground Zeroes

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@rjejr
If I may paraphrase you:
"Calling packs of cigarettes 'packets' sounds gay"

but calling cigarettes "fags", that didn't strike you as odd in any way lol?

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

I pre ordered from gamestop UK and they emailed me the other day to say that they have dropped the price and they would now charge me the lower price of £19.97 I'm pretty happy with that. Bring on MGS!

RaymanFan2

RaymanFan2 said:

Yeah, I agree with the Into the Nexus comparison.
It was short, but very nicely replayable and the quality of the time spent with it negates the lack of quantity.

Madd_Hatter401

Madd_Hatter401 said:

As much as I like this series.. I hope this game is a MASSIVE flop! I do not want to see other companies following suit thinking this is okay.

Sutorcen

Sutorcen said:

As if the gaming industry needs another crappy scheme after F2P, IAPs and DLCs. How greedy can you get? Apparently... a lot.

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

Stop whining everyone, it is pathetic. The game is only marginally more expensive than a crumby new blue ray film.

banacheck

banacheck said:

What I find funny is how anyone can judge a game that's not even out, also these people that preview game's only have a set amount of time with the game. Most of the time with a PR person in the same room, thay also don't get the whole game to play with. Now in that set amount of time you'll really think thay would be taking there time playing it? If thay did thay wouldn't have much to write about, Ground Zeroes has one main open world mission and 5 Sdie-Ops.

N711

N711 said:

Already seen/read so much about it I wonder whats else to find out ;) I really like the intro with that awesome music though. Maybe a pre owned for me later on when I get the main game

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

I could wait....that's my reason.

You know it only goes down in price from release. A quarter of gamers will be trading it in by the 2nd month and I'll buy one of their copies for cheap. About $15-$20 cheap, which is about right for me.

inFamous and maybe Yaiba will be occupying my March-April.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@JaxonH - Trust me, the pun was intentional. Though pun might not be the right word, maybe "play on words"? Anyway, I knew what I was writing, I'm not a complete idiot, I just don't know how to describe what I was trying to do. Yeah thats it. Though honestly - "pack of fags" sounds like something you would say to a grocery store clerk, "packet of fags" sounds like a homophobic slur used by high school seniors making fun of a group of freshmen boys. My ears are weird, what can I say?

Back story from NL which may make things a little clearer. Last year when NL unveiled a new X + Y Pokemon named Ninfia (Western Sylveon but nobody knew that at the time) I was a bit taken aback by all the pink and bows and happened to have the 1st reply, which I wrote (in homage to the comic book store owner guy in the Simpsons):

Gayest. Pokemon. Ever.

Which was quickly changed by TBD to:

Lamest. Pokemon. Ever.

So it kind of stuck w/ me.

So, how goes DKCTF? 10/10 I hope.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@rjejr

Thanks for the insight lol...

I wish there were a word in the English language that could express to you the satisfaction I have with Tropical Freeze, but for lack of a better adjective, I'll just sum it up as euphoric. I'm so in love with that game man- it's just SO good. It's fast become one of my favorite games of all time.

Well, 3 months til E3 man... time sure moves fast doesn't it!

rjejr

rjejr said:

@JaxonH - "time sure moves fast doesn't it!"

Wait until you have kids, you have NO idea. Seriously, it's almost not fair. Decades go by, not years, decades!

Glad you're enjoyin' the game. If you didn't, I wouldn't bother. Can't wait until my kids burn out on Minecraft.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@rjejr

Heh heh, that may be a few years. But hey, with decades flying by and all, maybe it won't be as long as you think ;)

Shaolin

Shaolin said:

Personally, I'm really looking forward to this. Gaming has always been an expensive hobby and games are cheaper than they've ever been in real terms. If I didn't buy this then I'd pretty much have to knock the rest of the MGS series on the head because I don't think it would make much sense. I can understand those people who might want to wait until the price drops though.

@rjejr I've actually only just realised that the 'fags' things could have been misread by non-British users. For the record, 'fags' is a slang name for cigarettes in the UK. Nevertheless, that was a massive oversight, and I've changed it now... :|

rjejr

rjejr said:

@get2sammyb - Well I've been a big pain this entire week, huh? I'm blaming the weather. Next week I'm blaming Putin, stupid crazy SOB.