Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes Looks Best on PS4, Says Kojima

Luminary picks Sony's system over Xbox One

It may have a running time comparable to the average Hollywood blockbuster, but Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes is still one of the most hotly anticipated titles on the horizon for the PlayStation 4. Serving as a prologue to the upcoming Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, the standalone outing will offer a taste of Kojima Productions’ fresh Fox Engine technology and demonstrate the series’ newly adopted sandbox stealth mechanics. It’ll also purportedly look prettiest on the PlayStation 4.

Speaking as part of a recent Game Informer cover story, creator Hideo Kojima candidly dropped the tidbit. "Kojima notes that [the game] looks slightly better on the PS4 compared to the Xbox One, something that we also noted before he mentioned it,” the article states. It’s unclear exactly what’s better about the release on Sony’s supercharged machine, but given recent multiformat face-offs, we’re assuming that it runs at a higher resolution with a sturdier frame-rate. That’s all our own speculation, though.

Nevertheless, judging by the coverage itself, it sounds like this will prove a stunning experience wherever you play it. “Kojima Productions’ hard work under the hood pays off in the graphics department," continues the article, before spotlighting the quality of the lighting and the sight of a “watchtower [crumbling] to hundreds of pieces with an RPG shot”. The big question is: are you willing to pay Konami’s steep asking price for the opportunity to experience it for yourself? Consider your bank balance in the comments section below.

[via gameinformer.com, videogamer.com]

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Unfortunately ths graphics talk means nothing because in the end it's still another game being held back by the damn PS3 and 360.

@Gamer83 Yeah, it's true. This does look good from what I've seen of it, but it'll be nice when publishers focus solely on the new systems, I agree.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

The Witcher 3 can't come out soon enough. Seems like that will be the first game to prove whether the PS4 and X1 are worth anything. A multiplat from a small third party... Shows what a fail the internal teams at Sony and MS are right now.

Cyrso

Cyrso said:

@Gamer83
A game can perfectly be developed for PS4/XB1 and be downscaled for PS3/X360... It doesn't have to be 'held back' by PS3/X360. If that would be the case, then it's due to development budget constraints rather than technical constraints.

Go play Crysis 3, Metro Last Light at the highest settings on a high-end PC. Or even Battlefield 4 on PS4 or PC. Then tell me that those are being held back by PS3/X360. All those big graphics engines are very scaleable..

And I think Ryse, Battlefield 4, AC IV, KZ Shadow Fall look pretty impressive graphically but well you're probably going to shoot me down.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Cyrso
I actually agree that Killzone looks good but it's a first party PS4 exclusive from a studio known to be a graphics powerhouse. AC IV looked good but the game could've looked even better if it PS3 and 360 were out of the picture.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@Gamer83 @Cyrso yeah, all the cross-gens can be made to look graphically like ps4, but are still held back by ps3 gameplay. I hated AC3, so AC4 was disappointing to see running on the same engine. MGS5 might not be so noticeable because of the engine change. The only control difference is the touchpad, so they could theoretically make it a full-fledged ps4 game that they then dumb down for ps3 without limiting 4's at all. Hopefully!

goonow

goonow said:

@Cyrso all those games except ryse and killzone were made to work on last gen and it shows. The polygon count is lower. I have a powerful pc and even on the highest settings, I can say that killzone still looks better than bf or any game put on last gen.

goonow

goonow said:

When you look back on mgs4 it actually looks very outdated compared to later ps3 games.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I'm not surprised, Shadow Fall, Second Son and DriveClub look orgasmic and they're early releases. I can only imagine how good later games will look.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Ain't "hotly anticipated" by me. MGS has never been "that" franchise for me. I was going to get it, but all the buttering up in the world and "oh, your PS4 version is gonna look the best" ain't gonna convince me to to undo my pre order.

MGS games always have that prelude. That intro to the game before the game really starts. THIS is that prelude. They just extended it a bit, threw in a bunch of cut scenes (as they always do) and slapped a $40 sticker on what should have otherwise been part of the main game. No thanks. I've never been that big a MGS fan, but I was willing to buy this since there's not much out. But the length... I feel scammed just thinking about this game now. $15 download, $20 physical release I could do. That would at least be half-way reasonable.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Gamer83

Ya, Witcher 3 is what I'm waiting on too. Personally, I think we've reached a point graphically that I can pick up a controller for any console and not feel like the graphics are putting a damper on the gaming experience, like it did on the Wii- have you SEEN Skyward Sword and Metroid Prime 3 running on PC with anti-aliasing and 3x 1080p native res? Flipping amazing. Makes me wanna go buy a gaming rig just to re-play all those great Wii games.

And btw, if Tomb Raider is what launch cross-gen ports look like, I don't think we have ANYTHING to worry about. The game looks utterly fantastic imo...

Cyrso

Cyrso said:

@Subie98

Majority of the games are 30 fps, so why would it suddenly be a dealbraker for The Order 1886? The other games he mentioned are 30 fps too by the way (inFamous Second Son, DriveClub, Killzone SF), except for KZ Shadow Fall in the multiplayer. Graphically The Order 1886 still looks amazing and the IQ is insanely clean imo. It has 4x MSAA, which is arguably the best form of AA and is very expensive resource-wise. Without 4x MSAA it would probably be able to run at 60 fps.

Obviously we can't comment about the rest of The Order 1886, but it makes no sense to write it off prematurely (unless you really don't like vampires or something) or hype it up early when little is known about the game. Hopefully it won't be a generic 3rd person shooter.

Nothing wrong with 30 fps by the way, as long as it's stable. 60 for fighting games, fast-paced action games and FPS and 30 fps for all other genres is perfectly fine for me.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@JaxonH
You'd probably be just as well off waiting anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they re-released the game as a complete set later on, like every other MGS game. There could even be some sort of enhanced version too for all we know.

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

Yep. I think the switch over to next gen will be a lot quicker this time round. After I clear my ps3 backlog their are only a few more games coming out this year on ps3 that I'm interested in. I think thief could look even better if it had left ps3 behind and that's why I'm not scrambling to pre order. Anything that I don't think looks true next gen I'm probably just gonna buy later on. Infamous is the only pre order I have so far.