You'll Be Able to Pre-Order a Slim PlayStation Vita from Tomorrow

Cut down to size

Sometimes things happen for a reason. We were just about to pen a speculative article regarding tomorrow’s previously teased slim PlayStation announcement – but it seems like a popular retailer has let the cat out of the metaphorical bag. UK outlet ShopTo has deployed a newsletter confirming that the ‘New PS Vita Slim Console’ will be revealed and available to pre-order tomorrow. Case closed.

While the message is predictably vague, it’s almost certain that this is referring to the same hardware revision that launched in Japan last year. For those out of the loop, the substantially smaller system comes with 1GB of onboard storage and a slightly beefier battery life. Unfortunately, it also waves a fond farewell to the original unit’s illustrious OLED display.

The redesign launched alongside six colours in Japan, so it’ll be interesting to see if these make their way overseas. We’re also curious whether the platform holder will take the opportunity to drop the device’s price, seeing as it was only just officially reduced at GamesCom in August. Thankfully, we won’t have to wait too long to find out, as all will be revealed during a swanky press event in London tomorrow morning. Are you hyped? Shed a stone in the comments section below.

[via neogaf.com]

hydeks

hydeks said:

I would probably still rather have the old vita, unless this vita is priced right.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I wish I could step into an alternate universe to see if the slim Vita would have sold better if they added in an SD card slot.

I guess if it doesn't sell well Sony will just talk about how great the old screen was so nobody wanted the new screen. Though my guess is 8 out of 10 people wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a test.

If they release a new slim without a price drop - why bother?

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

They really need to get the price right with this one plus some surprise game announcements would be great as well, the Vita is a great handheld that got dealt a lousy hand by Sony a great shame as I love mine.

The thing is, the Vita is already stupidly cheap in the UK. You can get a used one for £80 if you shop around.

jmburks

jmburks said:

This only excites me if they drop the price of the memory cards too. i love my Vita with the OLED screen. i just want a cheaper memory card!

Player4

Player4 said:

Wow, that's pretty awesome. I already was planning to buy a Vita, but now I can get the slim version! 😄 Which colour though..

DavidH

DavidH said:

On NeoGaf someone posted thinking it would be £170 for the slim model. Ouch. Guess pre-order prices will go up at Shopto etc tomorrow after the official announcement

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

I don't care how slim it is. Better battery life and cheaper memory is all I care for on the hardware side. Does the new vita slim get rid of the redundant slot thing on the top? Its also stupid that it doesn't use a micro USB to charge etc. Also an added r/l 2/3 would be good for making full use of remote play. Another thing actually, 4G ??? C'mon. If they wanna sell more then offer at least one months PS plus free and any game of your choice from psn store and a 32GB memory card free. These things will cost Sony pittance and I'm sure sales would beef up a little. Software wise just put more effort into the west thanks. A few more apps like Netflix/LoveFilm etc wouldn't hurt. I still don't know why they give it simple mobile phone functions either. An address book, calling abilities and such. Imagine how many units they could shift on 4G data plan contracts.

divinelite

divinelite said:

My friend have this, it's beautiful and the oled don't miss that much. I just don't get why this is about 50$ more expensive than older Vita on my area.

Here's hoping some grest announcement, I really happy that many niche Will be coming but it would be good to have something easy for recommend to others

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

@rjejr I wish for an alternate universe where it has an SD card slot and an optional model with backwards compatibility. My PSP is trying to keel over on me, and I would rather upgrade to the Vita, but I NEED my Kingdom Hearts.

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

@RyoHazuki I would gladly buy a PS Vita as a phone. That would be awesome. It would be more awesome if I could put any plan on it, instead of just AT&T.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

I think I would rather buy the older vita second hand and have the oled screen than fork out £180 on the slimmer version

rjejr

rjejr said:

@eaglebob345 - Vita doesn't play PSP games? Not even PSPgo DL games? I knew it didn't have a slot for PSP games but I guess I thought it would play digital stuff.

Can't imagine why it isn't selling ;-) Though it does explain why PSP sales are still so strong in Japan. And I think it's even with the Wii U globally, and that has backwards compatibility, so I'll stop now.

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

@rjejr I'm pretty sure it can play digital PSP games but I never embraced the digital age, so all of my PSP games are physical... I like to hold my disks and cartridges.
The Wii U needs to be marketed and it needs those games that we were teased with and still don't have (I want X so much, and I can't resist Mario Kart no matter how hard I try). I do know that both the Vita and the U are putting up some very good games, so when I finally get my holy quartet of gaming awesomeness (PS Vita, PS4, 3DS, Wii U) I won't see daylight for quite a while. I hope all of the consoles do well in sales, games, and support. I'd hat to see sales as low as the Gamecube and Xbox. They all just need to find their audience.

Bad-MuthaAdebis

Bad-MuthaAdebis said:

@eaglebob345 I just stuck my normal sim in and it works fine, you get a Vodafone sim but my Three network sim works perfectly. I even get text messages to it. Usually I just tether it though so no need to use a sim actually in the vita.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@hydeks

The Vita slim doesn't have the OLED screen. I'd imagine you'd want to keep the older Vita, if you have one.

ToddlerNaruto

ToddlerNaruto said:

@eaglebob345 Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep will be included in Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX (PS3), so why do you care about the older PSP version?

Unless you don't already have a PS3, in which case you really should buy one, they're only $300 New now.

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

@Toddler_Naruto The only reason I will buy a new system is if it will have a game that is a continuation of a series I follow. If KH3 was on the PS3 I would have one by now. I am just diligently waiting for KH3 before I snap up a PS4.

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

@Toddler_Naruto I do want to play them in HD I am jus holdin out for KH3 because I am hopeful that SE puts the HD collections on and KH3 on PS4/Wii U (I see how they love Definitive Editions). I will be getting a PS3 later when the price is even lower because of the collection they don't make the generation leap.

I did not get a PS3 because I was only following a few games series, mainly Kingdom Hearts and Pokemon. I figured I would buy the consoles when the games I want come out but KH3 has yet to be dropped on a console, which saddens me. I was just never one for buying games for graphics over gameplay, so I never really looked into many new games over the last 10 years. The only new series I picked up on the way was Monster Hunter, so I want to go back and get the older ones on PS2,PS3, and PSP, as well.