Who Would Win Wednesdays: Old Snake vs. Batman

Posted by Robert Ramsey

Round one

Greetings loyal Push Square readers, and welcome to the first ever 'Who Would Win Wednesdays', a new weekly feature where we pit two PlayStation characters against each other, giving you a quick profile of each combatant before letting you vote on who you think would emerge victorious in a battle to the death. From the giants of the platform to the more obscure personalities of gaming, there's no real criteria for who can and can't fight – if they've appeared on a Sony console, they can enter the ring. So without further ado, let's take a gander at our very first contestants.

Old Snake

One of PlayStation's most iconic figures, Solid Snake becomes Old Snake in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots – but this soldier's rapid ageing process doesn't stop him from being one of gaming's most versatile fighters. Boasting deadly close quarters combat techniques as well as being proficient with just about every gun that you can imagine, the silver-'stached stealth master is a danger at any distance. Of course, there's a chance that his adversaries won't even get the opportunity to put up a fight, as the bandanna enthusiast is more than capable of subduing targets without them ever realising he was there to begin with. Old Snake's greatest asset, however, is arguably his experience – this is a man who's seen it all and lived to tell the tale.

Batman

With the Arkham games swooping into the hearts of critics and gamers alike, being able to experience life as the Batman has never been easier – and what a life it is. Taking on countless thugs, mutants, and super villains armed with just his wits, a handful of non-lethal gadgets, and his martial prowess, Bruce Wayne's alter ego would surely prove to be a tough fight for almost any PlayStation character that you can think of. Not only is Gotham's protector capable of stomping whole hordes of goons without so much as getting scratched, he's also blessed with a brilliantly logical mind, which allows him to calmly assess any situation. Unsurprisingly, his beautiful brain is a huge asset in battle, where he can easily identify a foe's weaknesses and use the surrounding environment to his advantage.

Would Old Snake be able to out-think Batman? Is Bruce the more capable close combat fighter? Vote for your winner in our poll, and tell us how you think the battle would unfold in the comments section below.

Who do you think would win this Wednesday? (67 votes)

Old Snake

33%

Batman

67%

Please login to vote in this poll.

[ Thanks to LordBagardo for the header image ]

Related Games

KAPADO

KAPADO said:

I'm a big Metal Gear Solid fan. But "batmans" would kick old snakes butt, it's not even a question.his CQC is too weak and old now.
Only that Liam Neesons can mess with the Batmans man.

Confused_DudeStaff

Confused_Dude said:

This is an excellent feature idea! Big claps for you, Mr Ramsey :)

Definitely Batman in this case. I'd like to think that a younger snake might put up a good fight, but when your dealing with a character that has a trait like "Is prepared for every eventuality", then I'm afraid there's no contest.

I voted for Old Snake. That man has real tenacity. Have you all forgotten about the infamous 'Tap X to Tunnel' scene?

Untitled

jer18

jer18 said:

My vote goes to Batman. Since Snake is primarily close combat, couldn't Bats easily stun with a baterang and drop attack from above?

JMC

JMC said:

Old Snake all the way.
@get2sammyb great call back about the tunnel. Snake beat a lot more bad ass bosses in MGS4 than Batman in all of the Arkham games. All the bosses that Snake fought were memorable while a lot of boss Batman fought were forgeatable, so even in old age Snake is a better fighter than Batman

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

I love Snake, always have, always will.
But let's be honest, it's Batman.
I mean, it's Batman.
He probably has a Bat-Snake-Killler in his belt, anyway.

Dodoo

Dodoo said:

Batman is an easy winner here for me...

Especially true if you take Snakes guns away!

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

I want to say Snake, but Batman only because he's basically OP. The comics make sure you remember that he's planned for almost literally any situation, and has the tools to pull a dues ex machina out of nowhere. Snake is sneaking up on him? Bat-echo device tells him Snake's exactly location. A firefight ensues? Bat-shield or something. Send a Metal Gear after him? Explosive something-or-anothers and other tools.

Snake is cooler though, so it's a draw for me.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

Batman has this in the bag, aside from Captain Marvel, Batman is the only human capable of taking down Superman.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@Cloud7794 When you have to fight metahumans on a daily basis, you have to stay prepared or you die.

@JMC Ra's al Ghul, Joker, Deathstroke, Mr. Fries and far more memorable and socially relevant than any of Snakes enemies. In 30 years, people will still remember those names, while Snake will have probably faded into obscurity.

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

@BornOfEvil To be fair, the reason those names will still be remembered is because they'll probably keep coming up, not to mention that MGS will never be as popular anyways.

JMC

JMC said:

@BornOfEvil
I haven't played Arkham Origins yet, so I can't say anyhing about the bosses on that game.
However comparing Arkham City, which is arguably the best in the series with MGS4 I remember the bosses of MGS4 way better than Arkhan City. I finished Arkham City last year and MGS4 I beat a lot of times, and the first was about 5 years ago.
All the bosses on the Arkham games will be remembered more than any of the MGS for sure, but only because of their appearence on comics and other media, not because the fights were better. Even Mr. Freeze, which was one of the most tense fights on Arkham City didn't get anywhere near the level of tension when I first fought Laughing Octopus on MGS4.
It's only a matter of opinion, of course, and I can certainly understand why people are choosing Batman over Snake, but considering the games, and the games alone, I think that Snake would win. I mean, on the games, Batman can easily die if there are armed thugs if you don't go stealth on them.
If I considered the comics and other media, specially the recent movies and the animated series, I'd definetly go with Batman, but from a game standpoint, I have to choose Snake.

rarsiii

rarsiii said:

Myabe Batman would win, but those who think Snake doesn't stand a chance and that CQC is all he's got, haven't played MGS.

rarsiii

rarsiii said:

@jer18 Snake is a pretty good sniper. Actually, he's beaten the world's best snipers with a sniper, so that'd technically make him the world's best sniper.

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

Man this is a tough choice. I think I will go with Snake on this one.

iSolipsistJudas

iSolipsistJudas said:

Batman can pretty come up with any idea within seconds without making it obvious. His combat is a mixture of multiple fighting styles. Batman wins

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Snake is a cool character but this would be no contest. Batman would destroy him easily.

xMonk

xMonk said:

Snake would win. They'd have a seriously good match, sure, but through the thick of it all, and it's down to fisticuffs, Snake. LOL. And if you guys think that Bats may out-rank him due to his sheer volume of gadgets, then you obviously haven't played a Metal Gear game. Lol. Also, Snake beat the world's best sniper with a freaking pistol. A PISTOL. Sure you can use a sniper rifle, or use the "skip to next week" method, but seriously... a pistol.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

Batman has the money and the brains, but no one is a match for Solid/Old Snake's combat abilities. I really could go on all day about this... but I'm not sure I want to open this can of worms.

Donald_M

Donald_M said:

Batman has a plan for every contingency. Solid Snake IS a plan for every contingency.

Snake takes it, hands down.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

I forget, does Batman carry a designer killer virus which, due to being a 70s clone, is mutating into a doomsday device capable of the annihilation of the human race while also fighting to stop his fraternal twin / crazed Russian revolutionary from destroying the foundation upon which all human society has been built? Oh right, Batman is a super-rich civilian figurehead who can't get over traumatic experiences, and would likely be killed by the aforementioned indiscriminate killer virus within minutes.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I've never seen Snake described as a human honed to mental and physical perfection like Bruce Wayne is supposed to be. Snake will kill people when Batman won't, but I don't know if that gives Snake an edge or not. And there does seem to be a difference between Batman and Video Game Batman. Since I'm so late to this party I won't officially vote, but I do think Batman would win.