Wait, Square Enix Didn't Even Port Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster?

A real Sin

As is customary for any of its non-Eidos products, Square Enix spent a shameful span of time porting the recently released (in Japan) Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster to the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita. Except, the thing is, it didn’t even work on the update – Shanghai studio Virtuos did.

The publisher had hinted in the past that, much like Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX, it was handling the upgrade internally – but that’s turned out not to be the case. Siliconera reports that the team behind the port is best known for converting 2K Sports titles to the Nintendo Wii, as well as collaborating on various Ben 10 releases. This is its biggest project to date.

All credit to the outfit, it looks like it’s done an outstanding job – but it makes us wonder just what the actual Final Fantasy team is doing behind closed doors. Admittedly, we know that it's just wrapped up work on Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. However, we have a sneaking suspicion that offloading the abovementioned port is not going to bring Final Fantasy XV any closer. Sigh.

[via siliconera.com]

Related Games

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

Pretty suprised with news new. Im sure Square have been telling everyone it was internal too lol Thats probably why they went quiet on the remaster a while back

@MadchesterManc Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I mean, the port's top-notch so I guess it doesn't really matter in the long-run - but it's crazy that this company takes so long to put stuff out. If it hasn't been working on this, then why is Final Fantasy XV - which it's been working on for a whole generation now - still supposedly so far away?

MadchesterManc

MadchesterManc said:

@get2sammyb Im guessing the staff are just goofing off playing frisbee with Jacobs Crackers while the interns work on all the games on a row of dusty MS-DOS computers in the corner. It would explain a few things

Cloud7794

Cloud7794 said:

@get2sammyb I honestly believe we'll see Final Fantasy XV within a year and a half. It's (regrettably) missed 2014 so far, but I think Spring 2015 should be about the time it's coming.

Also... maybe they've been working on a new Dissidia behind-the-scenes? I know it's EXTREMELY wishful thinking, but a man can dream <.<

Grieva

Grieva said:

I have no problem with them and offloading the workload to another reputable company, if it means we get new titles released quicker cough ff xv cough

Darklutz

Darklutz said:

One of the SE team said they had to rebuild a Lot of the game because some of the original data was lost. I can't remember where i read the post but it come from an interview.
So in that case they would need to redo the work their selves instead of leaving it to others

divinelite

divinelite said:

I need it in 2014... ff15 i mean, those delays are so saddening so far... must endure another yearrrr??? sigh

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

Probably too busy scamming on mobile trash to handle real games.
Core SE developers, i mean.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

"What the hell is FF19-2? ...oh, duh"
I've still got 13 on my backlog, so that and 10hd will hold me over till 15

belmont

belmont said:

SE is master at trolling its fans by ignoring the localization of Type-0 and taking forever to publish 15 and 10HD. I would even preorder a PS4 if FF15 was a launch title.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Final Fantasy 15 is a pipe dream, perpetually ahead of us, forever dangling the carrot. It'll probably end up being a launch game for 9th gen consoles lol

Crimson_Ridley

Crimson_Ridley said:

This was obvious, when was the last time Square worked on a decent Final Fantasy? Oh, I remember, in the early 2000's.

shots fired